Expanda Security

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi Paul, I use a wheel clamp and hitch lock, the clamp is a "Clamp It" brand and they offer some sort of guarantee about theft! Yes the cable is better than chain but at the end of the day all of this is just a deterrent and will slow a theif down. If they really want it, they will get it!

Cheers.

Hmmm yes true, but with trigg lock, cable lock and wheel clamp i am hopeing that its just too hard!! Might also get a big angry dog and chain to the van? Could try the wife too... only jokeing girls!!!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all, just a thought I had today as there have been discussions about stickers, how about some stickers for the top of A frame near the hitch on the van which reads WARNING (in red) This van has been fitted with a hidden gps tracking device (in black). Whether you have one fitted or not I think it would be a good deterrent for someone planing to hitch up and steal your van. I know I would definitely buy one, how about others?

Cheers.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi folks,
The GPS Tracker has arrived, first impression was, its pretty small. Should be easy to hide in the panda.
Have the SIM now, next job is to take it to work and put 12v onto it, and go through the setup and bench test. Will be interesting to see how easy or difficult the setup is.

Now just need a van......:frown:

jas

tracker.JPGtracker1.JPGtracker2.JPG

matt

Aug 20, 2011
Brisvegas
Holdenman like your thinking, can you provide a link to the gps gadget, just got back from 2 weeks in panda 14.4.4 qld outback and the security issue does come up in our vanversations. good luck and pls post test results, Matt

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hey Jas,
Just wondering if the final intention is to have a separate 12 volt supply for this as opposed to using the van battery?

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Holdenman like your thinking, can you provide a link to the gps gadget, just got back from 2 weeks in panda 14.4.4 qld outback and the security issue does come up in our vanversations. good luck and pls post test results, Matt
Hi Matt,
here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20066473...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_7586wt_977

you can also google Meitrack for a bit more info and other models. My plan is to test connecting some form of sensor to an input to detect van entry or even annex entry. but main reason is to pick up someone driving off with the new member of the family, waited too bloody long for some bugger to drive off with it.
will let you know how I go.

jas

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hey Jas,
Just wondering if the final intention is to have a separate 12 volt supply for this as opposed to using the van battery?

Hi Brad,
The intention was to put it on the main battery, it has around 10hrs of internal battery backup. But it would be worth considering another source. Maybe there is a feed that gets 12v from battery or tow vehicle. So if they pull the battery connections off and hook up a car to tow it will power up from there. Don't know anything about van wiring layout yet but shouldn't be too hard to find a couple feeds. If it goes dead and gets power again it should fire up and send me a location txt straight away. Its going to be a bit of fun trying a few things.
One other thing, you can also configure it to txt if it loses 12v supply, that would be the first warning i guess.

jas

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Aha,
Thanks Jas. when I saw your pics I was mentally working through all the options to make this as foolproof as possible. I can understand if you do not want to disclose where you mount this, I guess in the end there are plenty of spots to hide the unit.... What about antenna? Does it have an external antenna or is it contained within the blue box?

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Mate,
it has an external antenna for both GPS and GSM. When the van arrives i have a few thoughts in mind that has clear enough view to pick up the satellites but not obvious. I will do all my testing before mounting, then when the van arrives this will be first mod. like you say there will be stacks of spots to hide it, but need to make sure the bad guys can't find or disturb the antennas. Will be a bit of trial and error, just need a van to trial on:ohwell:

jas

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all, just a thought I had today as there have been discussions about stickers, how about some stickers for the top of A frame near the hitch on the van which reads WARNING (in red) This van has been fitted with a hidden gps tracking device (in black). Whether you have one fitted or not I think it would be a good deterrent for someone planing to hitch up and steal your van. I know I would definitely buy one, how about others?

Cheers.

I will be getting some of these made up next week, if anyone interested let me know!

Cheers.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Sounds good to me. Count me in Burnsy.
And Surfingbird, you might be amazed how many vans get knocked off around the country not just Victoria, even with towball locks. Thats as well as those broken into.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
holdenman, they are a great unit!! especially for the price, all our vehicles have them both here and in South Africa, we use the live tracking side of things but the SMS utilities are very handy. If data plans were not so expensive I would use the live track function on the van too, as you can set HEAPS of rules within GPSgate. not sure if you will have to run the GPS and Cell antennas outside in the fibreglass vans but definately will have to in the metal clad vans.

morg3718

Aug 10, 2011
Mount Eliza Victoria
I will be getting some of these made up next week, if anyone interested let me know!

Cheers.

Hi Burnsy
At the moment I am in-between expands. I sold our 14.44.3 two months ago and am waiting for a 14.44.5, expected delivery late Nov/early Dec.
Anything to increase security will definitely be an advantage.
Please count me in as a definite.

Thank you

Ray

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
holdenman, they are a great unit!! especially for the price, all our vehicles have them both here and in South Africa, we use the live tracking side of things but the SMS utilities are very handy. If data plans were not so expensive I would use the live track function on the van too, as you can set HEAPS of rules within GPSgate. not sure if you will have to run the GPS and Cell antennas outside in the fibreglass vans but definately will have to in the metal clad vans.

Gday bigman,
I plan to have a bit of a play this comming week, but it does look relatively simple to configure. Yep not sure about the antenna posi yet. Will need a van for final testing of signals. Want to keep the both of them concealed as best I can. If I hit any config snags due you mind if I send you a PM.
Thanking you for your original advice on unit options. Van should arrive in brissy next week, fingers crossed.

Thx
Jas