Expanda Security

Feb 1, 2012
Our Expanda will be living in the driveway when it arrives. Just wondering what people use for security?

I am thinking of a wheel clamp.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Wheel clamp here.

Also have a hyland hitch that has a hole in it for a padlock, so i do that too.

My driveway is an absolute nightmare to get into and out off with the van, and if you don't get the angles right it won't go. It's probably the best deterent:mmph:

Reactions: Newcastle Knight

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Yep, We use the wheel clamp too. I also have a steel t/bar that goes through the drawbar & is padlocked to a bracket dynabolted to the ground. (see Pic)

IMG_9097 (800x533).jpg

I guess worst case you have insurance, at least if you can be seen to make an effort to secure the van there won't be any arguments with them.

Cheers,

Paul

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Having a camper trailer sitting in the front yard, I asked a friend who knows someone that is involved in the unlawful sale of everything what the best deterrent is and the reply I got back was, "if they want it they will get it", there was also mention of offsite storage facilities as supermarkets for thieves.

I use as much security as I can, although insured it never covers for the loss plus all the gear that is stored in it and all the mods that have been done.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have a concrete driveway and use a wheel lock and a thick chain between both wheels on one side being a dual axle.

I was thinking of getting two security bollards installed that would sit either side of the a frame.

http://ramguard.com.au/3.SRM2Large.html

When our van is backed in you can't go backwards so if the bollards are placed one either side of the a frame you can't go forwards.

Reactions: blacky

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Something that thankfully, I have not had to give much thought to. Living in a smallish country town on a semi rural block on the edge of town, security has never been an issue for us.

Reactions: Patons

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Wheel clamp here.

My driveway is an absolute nightmare to get into and out off with the van, and if you don't get the angles right it won't go. It's probably the best deterent:mmph:

and I thought mine was a P. I. A till I saw yours, Been thinking of a wheel clamp for mine has a hitch lock with the chains pulled through it and I remove the jockey wheel and place a stand under the A-frame usually have at least on jack down to keep it stable as it sits on a ramp one side to help level it.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
have had attempt theft of ours with the following in place, (and if you thieves are reading this, thanks for all the hassle you've created)

-12mm thick heavy duty chain (padlock grided off during attempted theft) through the wheels and the around the suspension,
-double hitch clamp lock,
-75mm square bollard (padlock grided off during attempted theft)cemented 600mm into the ground which is front of the a frame,
-gate which is locked (forced opened during attempted theft) in front of the bollard.

now its on bricks with the wheels off and lock nuts on. with 2 other hidden anti theft devices installed which i am keeping to myself. cheers.

Reactions: blacky and salsimo

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
In the end the best you can do is make it difficult for them & have insurance. Most of the thefts would probably be earmarked even before their stolen.

As already said if they want it you'll probably loose it...........

Here's hoping ours are all safe.

Cheers,

Paul

Feb 1, 2012
In the end the best you can do is make it difficult for them & have insurance. Most of the thefts would probably be earmarked even before their stolen.

As already said if they want it you'll probably loose it...........

Here's hoping ours are all safe.

Cheers,

Paul

Very true.

Reactions: PMK

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
now its on bricks with the wheels off and lock nuts on. with 2 other hidden anti theft devices installed which i am keeping to myself. cheers.

Why didn't I think of that, Brilliant Mate, I think I'll be doing the same with mine (taking the wheels off) and putting it on jack stands...

I also have a GPS Tracking device which I had in my Swan (removed before sale) that will be very covertly installed as well, pretty much on day of pick up. It does hook into the van battery but has a built in backup that will last a least 36hours... Fairly cheap, can be found on ebay.
May God be with them when My crew and I pull up to reposes her, Of course we will alert the police but that will only be shortly after we find the van :) I'll be sure to let you all know if ever this does happen in case you'd want to join us :)

The way things are going these days they will probably just get away with a court date that they wont bother showing up for otherwise...

Ducfat

Mar 28, 2012
I also have a GPS Tracking device which I had in my Swan (removed before sale) that will be very covertly installed as well, pretty much on day of pick up. It does hook into the van battery but has a built in backup that will last a least 36hours... Fairly cheap, can be found on ebay. ..

These GPS devices are great, but their best advantage is their stealth and should be kept that way, by not even mentioning them. If low life thieves read this sort of stuff on forums (and they do), it just makes them even more savvy and they'll spend time ripping whatever van they've stolen apart, searching for a tracker. Best to keep security aspects to yourself in my honest opinion. Certainly, it's great to see the obvious deterrants, the wheel clamps, padlocks and chains, bollards etc, but I'd be keeping things like the gps trackers to myself.
Just my 2c worth.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
True. But then again, thieves may now realise that alot of people are onto them, and are now taking extra measures to secure their vans from theft. They may also realise that trackers may be hidden in different parts of the vans. If thieves see that security is being increased they`ll move onto other areas because vans are getting harder to pinch.

So there`s some good points mentioning security of our vans in the forums too.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Ducat, not a bad point mate, but I guarantee you that they will spend more time ripping the van apart looking for it than it will take me to realize its stolen and find it....

I am so confident about this that I have no problem putting it here and may even put small security stickers warning of "gps tracking security device fitted" on the van. As a further deterant.

Somethething I didnt mention.. Its also paired with a small vibration detection/gsm device with a prepaid sim, so it will be calling my mobile before its even moved 30cm's down the drive, or as you say they have started ripping the van apart to try and find it.

Got to love modern technology hey :)

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Wonder how many of you spent a little time between now and then google'ing gps trackers with GSM, vibration alerts... :)