Expanda Security

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
hi folks,
Has anyone installed the GSM Units in a van, and used motion detection when left unattended for long periods of time, and how do you go for power draw from the van, is it minimal. Our van will be in storage for around 3 month blocks.

thx

Reactions: Marv_mart

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
hi folks,
Has anyone installed the GSM Units in a van, and used motion detection when left unattended for long periods of time, and how do you go for power draw from the van, is it minimal. Our van will be in storage for around 3 month blocks.

thx

Jason,

Reading this thread, I think zerosecta had one in his previous van and will be reinstalling the unit in new van - see page 1 of this thread.

Zerosecta - any comments on battery usage?

Cheers,

Rohan

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Jason,

Reading this thread, I think zerosecta had one in his previous van and will be reinstalling the unit in new van - see page 1 of this thread.

Zerosecta - any comments on battery usage?

Cheers,

Rohan

Hi Rohan,
thanks for that, just to clarify, just chasing info in particular on examples with the use of motion detectors, and as you mention power usage. There is a variety of mA consumptions on ebay, also some with sleep modes, that draw very low power, in the order of 5mA. It would also be beneficial if the motion detectors were wireless. I want to detect if the crooks enter the van either by window or door and start knocking things off. Some of them have vibration alerts, and zerosecta mentions this, are they prone to false alarms from wind or storms?
thx
jas

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi folks,
Lashed out on the VT310 tracker that Bigman recommended should be here around the same time as the panda arrives. Fitting it will be the first mod. Have worked out it shouldn't be too difficult to add motion sensors. They use very small amounts of power. Also shouldn't be too difficult to have some form of sensor in the annex. Will bench test the system prior to install, and update the thread on how things turn out.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hi folks,
Lashed out on the VT310 tracker that Bigman recommended should be here around the same time as the panda arrives. Fitting it will be the first mod. Have worked out it shouldn't be too difficult to add motion sensors. They use very small amounts of power. Also shouldn't be too difficult to have some form of sensor in the annex. Will bench test the system prior to install, and update the thread on how things turn out.

They are pretty simple, and because there are so many out there, there is aways some help around....
I setup 4 on our work vehicles so far, they are using live tracking but the SMS function will be the best bet for the vans. Prices vary $90 - $120 depending on where you get it from. And I think you shoud hook up the emergency brakes to an output so you can send a SMS and turn them on!! That woud sort em out!!!

Instruction Manual

Ebay

AliExpress

Look out for the Chinese Clones...

Also people, don't under estimate criminals abilities. One of the guys that works for me installed this system, works really well and can be viewed remotely. I personally have 4 PTZ cameras that cover my entire yard including the van. But the one I have linked woud be a better investment for everyone out there, and woud have been my choice if I had found it earlier. If you have any questions or need any help setting up camera systems remotely through your home router, I am happy to help.

[video=youtube;j2M62f8phLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2M62f8phLc[/video]
[video=youtube;jvgpchiGE6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=jvgpchiGE6A[/video]

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Thanks bigman,
Will have a crack when it arrives but will be sure to yell for help if I get stuck, thanks for the offer :thumb:

Hi Paul, bought it from eBay, $112 Inc shipping from bigman's eBay link.

Jas

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi guys
I recently bought one of the tracking devices from Jaycar
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA9011

Has anyone actually fitted one of these? My question is about the GPS signal. This model has the antenna built in. I am wondering if it will get a signal when installed inside the van. I am considering returning it and getting an ebay one as per Bigmans post. I notice these have an external antenna.

Also, I cant see in the instructions how you turn it off when you want to go away with the van. Should there be an SMS command to make it sleep? I dont want it sending SMS's to me all holiday!

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
We have tried to use a similiar one for our vehicles but the live function woudn't work too well. GPS signal wasn't too bad, and i am guessing that the fibreglass in the van shouldn't provide too much interference. There are a couple of these versions out there (TK-102 and TK-102B) and i think Jaycar have used the cheaper one (the same one we got) that doesn't have a movement sensor in it, which means that its always on.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hey guys those of you using poly block hitches what do you use for security when leaving your van out in the bush for those day trips ?
Yes i use the trigg hitch lock, not brilliant and with a crafty theif i could be in trouble but better than nothing, i have a cable also that i use around the wheel at home, i might take that in future too!

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Thanks bigman,
Will have a crack when it arrives but will be sure to yell for help if I get stuck, thanks for the offer :thumb:

Hi Paul, bought it from eBay, $112 Inc shipping from bigman's eBay link.

Jas
Thanks i might have to get one as we are out the front of the house... wheel clamp too perhaps

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
All, i was also thinking about the way some people use an empty alarm box fixed to the front of their homes as a deterent to would be theives, after a friend being robbed the police said that if they can see an alarm box more than likly they will mve to the next not so hard house... what if you had a sticker made up that said "this caravan is protected with a GPS tracking unit" or something like that, you could place it on the front lift up door or the draw bar?
Could be a cheap but simple and effective method to steer a theif away?
Paul

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
All, i was also thinking about the way some people use an empty alarm box fixed to the front of their homes as a deterent to would be theives, after a friend being robbed the police said that if they can see an alarm box more than likly they will mve to the next not so hard house... what if you had a sticker made up that said "this caravan is protected with a GPS tracking unit" or something like that, you could place it on the front lift up door or the draw bar?
Could be a cheap but simple and effective method to steer a theif away?
Paul

I was wondering the same. Question is will that make them more likely to look and disable it?
I am begging to think it might be a good deterrent.

I might also put a "Dog, Beware" sticker on it too! :)

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
No worries paul, and I will be getting wheel clamps as well.
I am unsure which way to go as for displaying stickers that she is tracked or even dummy display alarms. Guess there's pro's and con's for both ways. They may move on, they may force entry and rip the van apart to dispose of the tracker. I haven't made my mind up whether it is better to hide the fact and catch them in the process or display and scare them off. One thing for sure, I want to detect entry, not just stolen.
It will be a bit of fun getting it working though, it will be good feeling to try and protect the new addition to the family, I have waited to long to let some bugger drive off with it.:mod:

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Anyone got any recommendations for wheel locks? Or is a good chain the way to go?
I use a steel cable as they are very hard to cut with bolt cutters, run it through a wheel around the leaf spring and lock it with a high quality hardened padlock at the point it goes over the leaf spring, this would be a hard posistion to get to to cut lock also.
The cable i bought at Bunnings

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I was wondering the same. Question is will that make them more likely to look and disable it?
I am begging to think it might be a good deterrent.

I might also put a "Dog, Beware" sticker on it too! :)
i dont think a potential theif would want to spend the time firstly breaking into the van and then time to look for something thats hidden, i think they would just move on, i would if i was a theif... then again im not that dumb to become one in the first place!!!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
The idea of a *deterrent* to simply to slow them down, or make them think twice about touching your van. Stickers will do that. Unfortunately little is guaranteed to actually *prevent* theft. But if a question of doubt is raised and they move on to the next one, it was worth it.

I like the idea of the gps unit and have have it on the to list for a while, but only addresses the issue after the fact. In my case, (as was Jay70's), where my van is stored in a yard, it would take me 15 minutes (illegally) to get there if a motion sensor was triggered. So someone could still get in and take something if they wanted and be gone before I got there. (the yard is alarmed, key card accessed, multitude of cameras, and has a live-in guard so not too concerned in that regards).
Theft while traveling is another issue though. We can leave a van on a site and be doing the tourist stuff and be 50km away and I couldn't do a thing about it if someone of the scum class broke in.

I've been thinking of a car alarm on it, combined with the gps. A screamer would draw attention of anyone around, and being a car alarm can be triggered by movement, doors or boots opening. Add a flashing light or two
????

Maybe were could get some professional looking 'brand-name' stickers made up. ?? Some professional custom stickers rather than off the shelf stuff could be better
I always remember my dad going into Tandy and buying a bunch of 'This house is protected by Radio Shack' stickers he put on every window. Tandy never changed the design for years. Even though I wasn't even 10, I knew you could just buy the crappy looking stickers by themselves (different to those which came with a security system). If I knew that, a theft certainly would. :D

edit ; although just looking through Jaycar catalogue there are a few simple ones in there which don't scream "just kidding'

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I had a look on e bay and there are a multitude of wheel clamps, bollards ect, who is useing a wheel clamp and which are the ones to get?
There was also a great 12 foot steel cable plactic coated that would nicely wrap around the wheels and leaf springs with a high quality hardened lock, having been told that cable is much harder to get through than chain i will go that way as one of my security options, i already have a trigg hitch lock and a wheel clamp will come too.
I enquired about having some professional "this van is protected by GPS tracking" or something like that, i will get a quote today for some stickers and let the forum know

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Paul, I use a wheel clamp and hitch lock, the clamp is a "Clamp It" brand and they offer some sort of guarantee about theft! Yes the cable is better than chain but at the end of the day all of this is just a deterrent and will slow a theif down. If they really want it, they will get it!

Cheers.