Expanda Security

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
I'll be Nigel.... it's okay.

BTW. Hubby startled the crooks (when we lived on the sunshine coast). All they ended up taking were our runners on the front porch lol!

Brad the WDH normal pin is no longer.... we just have the two locking ones.... So paranoid now.... the BBQ gets locked up, the Kayaks and if we take the gennie... that too. makes it pretty difficult to steal a van with all of that attached.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Just the clamp and towbar duva. Plus good neighbours.
file-41.jpg
file-40.jpg

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hey brad, we have a SIM in a prepaid phones that with recharges over time has resulted in a long time before the credit expires, so it's just a telstra sim with $30 credit on it. The SIM is a bit of a trick though. To keep costs down, it's hard to find a SIM that doesn't have its credit expire to soon. Seems 6mths is about the best. So we were a bit lucky with our prepaid.

As for the antennas relgate, it seemed to work really well inside the house yesterday, i didn't think it would, thought the gps would have needed unobstructed view of the sky.
Next test will be in the van, I suspect it will work inside, if that's the case it can just be tucked away internally, without going to a lot of effort trying to get them outside.

Jas

Hi folks,
Latest update, the tracker is in the Panda. GSM and in particular the GPS signals all work ok in the van. Thought the GPS might have struck difficulty, but seems pretty good. No real sign of signal drop out. Both of the antennas are inside the van.
Have tucked it away, there may be better positions but decided to find a balance between tucking it away and ease of install. The crooks would have to really go looking for it, and then know what they are looking for.

Guess there are two camps on whether to sign the van or not, that it has gps tracking, both have merit, I am in the camp of no signs on the van identifying that it has tracking.
Also tested the battery backup went for twelve hours+

So all in all very happy with the finished solution.

Jas

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Yep no worries, and we will keep them just between you and I CD, our little secret...:becky:

One other interesting fact, The solar panel on the roof is getting enough light through the cover to trickle charge the battery, so good news from the trackers point of view, should never be any concerns with it flattening the battery.

Happy days.

Now to sit at work all day and check my van hasn't left home without me...:Cry:

:cell: are you there....yep....:cell:are you there....yep....:cell:are you there....yep....

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Well done Jas, good to know about signal with aerial inside, also about panel charging with cover on. Interesting about your thoughts on not displaying warning stickers, IMO if you did then I don't think they would even prepare to take your van, they'd just take the next poor buggers!

Cheers.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi burnsy,
Have thought long and hard about putting warnings on the panda that it is tracked.
I think it will depend on the type of crook. If they are proffessionals and really want the van then telling them its tracked will send them looking for it I reckon, so best to just let the police know where it is, let them deal with it.
And you are also right, there will be some crooks signs will scare off reckon they might be the part time thief, Not sure.
I reckon I will use the other deterrents (tow ball lock, chained wheels) to deter the low level crook, and keep the tracker up my sleeve if all else fails.
I can also definitely see the reason for putting stickers on if you don't have a tracker installed, that makes perfect sense, the bluff may work.
So for me, no stickers, but understand why others would, with or without tracker.

Only checked once today where the van was, reckon that's good self control....:smile:
And you know what, she was right where I left her...
Van 11.jpg

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi bigman, yep I set it up to go to sleep as well. Movement wakes it, but I think if it moves outside the geofence it wakes as well. Very happy with the unit, you sticking one in the new rig? My battery is getting charged by the solar panel even with the cover on, enough light gets through. So no worries with things going flat.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
yeah, I "may" have one sitting around here and i "may" have a spare user free on works GPS Tracker database. See the good thing is that I setup the works GPS tracker system, so I can allocate another page that nobody else but myself sees. :spy:
GPS tracker.PNG

Im not going to show you where MW01 is on the map, cos that will show people excatly where I live....

EDIT: I probably should have taken that screen shot when everyone was working not at home.... LOL

Reactions: cruza driver

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There are GPS trackers around which would do a better job for about the same price, I would be concerned that the thing wouldn't match the mobile freq that we now have here......it also only does MMS and email so would require a good signal where SMS can get through with hardly any......................otherwise wheel clamps, jack stand and axle lifts.

Reactions: Lozza T

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@davemc had the idea using an old smart phone , in a thread just last week I think it was.....I'll see if I can find it again as its a great system for tracing things and doesn't cost the earth.

Reactions: Crusty181

09 expanda

Dec 21, 2018
Queensland
Hi I’m new to this website but just to give some help if you don’t have batteries in your van and there is no power connected up if you unplug the breakaway switch as soon as the thieves plug the trailer lights it supplies power to the van which locks up the breaks till the pin is plugged back in or thieves run