Starcraft 2014 Jayco Starcraft 13.42.1.OB

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
WHAT A JOKE.
On the day we placed our order 11/11/2013, we requested that the 2 reading lights be relocated to be above where the pillows are located.
We felt that their current position would mean that they are more easily knocked when entering and leaving the single beds.
The salesman wrote this request on our order.
Later we received the official Jayco Factory work order which we had to sign off prior to production.
These papers did not show the request so I clearly wrote on the supplied plan the exact wording which was on the dealers order.
These papers were lodged by the dealer to Jayco , signed by myself.
The salesman rang today to say they had sent their truck to collect our van and that the bed lights had not been installed as per our request.
He said Jayco are looking into this and will respond in a FEW DAYS. [ YES, I FEW DAYS ]
I must have killed a chinaman !
I mean it was one small request we made to the order and apart from the addition of the outside drop down table [ which we paid full price for ] that was the only amendment to the standard build.
So, what sort of pre-production is relayed to the factory is probably written in chalk.
After many years of making Vans one would think a small change would be easy for this huge factory.
If anyone can explain this to me I would be most interested to hear it.
I REST MY CASE.

Ianoz

Mar 3, 2014
Happy Valley
jtdt,
You are making me nervous. I asked for several changes myself and have sighted the order and signed off on these too. Guess I'll have to wait and see keeping everything crossed.
I think you need to take a deep breath followed by a large glass of Scotch!
Just think, in a couple of weeks we can all have a show and tell. The 2014 Outback is really fantastic value for money...with the standard Solar/battery and that independant coil/rubber suspension, the best in Australia for half the price other brands charge.
We are the Lucky ones....don't let minor issues cloud the big picture.

Keep smiling.

Cheers Ian

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Thanks Ian.
All your kind words are very consoling.
In the end it will all be a joke as we enjoy the new van.
Yes the new inclusions are great.
Battery and solar panel also independant susp.
I believe its better to vent my anger on this forum rather than yelling at Jayco and the dealer.

Ianoz

Mar 3, 2014
Happy Valley
jtdt,
So far my experience with the two jayco dealers I've dealt with (in Mildura and Adelaide) have been very professional and pleasant to deal with. I would have no hesitation in reccomending both to any new customers. I've been in the service industry for 45 years, so I can understand the issues that exist between sales and service personell. Yelling at either never really achieves much. Now that I am retired and have plenty of time on my hands.......I seen to have developed more patience than I once had, although my kids still refer to me as "Mr Grumpy!"
I hope the factory backs up their dealers and customers by producing us all good quality products. From what I have seen of the 2014 vans I've looked at to date , I'm confident we'll be happy after all the waiting and delays.

If not you'll hear me yelling from your place.

Cheers again.

Reactions: relgate and Joanne

TerriD

Feb 19, 2014
Northern NSW
Hi all, have been watching this thread with great interest as we are looking at upgrading to Expanda 17.56.2. Poor JTDT's saga has convinced me we will search for dealer stock van close to requirements and if close to what we are looking for will then purchase. We have already been through 7-8 week delivery promise with current van (not jayco) and finally 18 weeks later van turns up missing items from original order. Have talked to a lot of people about their new build experience and this is a common theme across all makes of van, deposit payed and then dealer looses interest once you become an 'old invoice.' Show or no Show one would think it reasonable for a van that had been ordered Nov 2013 to be delivered when it arrives in March 2014. Seems very poor customer service to allocate all staff to the chasing of new clients before looking after current clients.
Regards Terri D

Reactions: Janbo

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Hi Terry D.
Thanks for your post and agreeing with me about the show etc.
The Jayco/Dealer stuff up with not relocating the reading lamps has now been a matter of discussion with my wife and myself.
We have now decided to accept the van as is, and as consolation , we have asked that they install our own TV bracket for $0.00.
The dealer has agreed and I will deliver the bracket to them next week.
They now say our van will be ready by week commencing 17/3/14 and so we hope that will happen.
The idea of messing up the wardrobe to change the lights was too much to handle but I still cannot believe they would fit them there in the first place.
So in a couple of weeks we might be the proud owners of our new Jayco, but, we don't hold out much hope.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Jayco in my opinion are very good at meeting customers needs. When we ordered our new van, everything was where it should have been. Their schedule is spot on, I knew the exact day mine went down the line. They are very organized. Why yours went wrong I do not know. Anyway sound like reading lights are your first mod. A free first service would be nice;). You will enjoy your van and have many happy trips in it.

Cheers Geoff

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Hi Geoff,
Glad you have had positive results from Jayco.
It's not Jayco I am worried about, it's the dealer who sold us the van.
The show ends today, maybe they might get back to looking after it's customers who would like to take delivery of a van ordered last Nov.
Surely, they are in business to make money , and they must realise that they won't be seeing my bank cheque until I do take delivery.

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Note this down,
WOW ---I received a phone call this afternoon from my Dealer saying our van will be ready for collection next Tuesday 18th March in the year of our lord 2014.
So excited, I just wet myself.
Someone once said ' All good things come to those who wait----and wait and wait and wait '
Maybe that prayer I offered up last night after being bathed and put to bed has worked !
I will be a good boy all week now !:angel:

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Yes getting things ready to put in it, then off for a week to test everything works before bigger trip after school hols.
Why didn't you buy an expanda ?

jtdt

Feb 4, 2014
Mooroolbark
Oh ok .
I like the better security of our van and your new one as there is no pull outs.
Dont tell expanda fans.
Years ago we had a Jayco Eagle with pull out beds.
Glad to get back into solid walls.
Expanda folk will shoot me now !! LOL

Reactions: davemc

TerriD

Feb 19, 2014
Northern NSW
Hi @jtdt, great news about your van delivery, if they were smart they would throw something for you having to wait, but some how I don't think there that will be on their agenda. I have a friend who is very eccentric he would have made them wait for their bank cheque (the last day that he could legally get away with according to the contract) he would have them chasing him not returning their calls the whole bit.
Its great to see your wait is finally over wishing you all the best on pick up day. :)
Regards
TerriD

Ianoz

Mar 3, 2014
Happy Valley
Hi all,
My 13.42-1 O/B was built last Monday (I hope). Should be hearing from the Adelaide dealer next week. The new van should be on its way to dealer Friday(tomorrow). Will be interesting to see how long it takes for predelivery and handover.

Fingers Crossed.....:biggrin-new:

PS - Hey jtdt, did you ever consider sleeping the other way around? I'm trying feet to front of van, giving you the option of using the fridge cabinet to lean against while reading in bed. TV attaches to bracket on side of front wardrobe. Need to relocate the usless spot lights, but the best advantage is when the misses snores, you can easily reach over and give her a poke to shut her up!

Cheers.

Ianoz