Dave and Sarah's Starcraft 17.58-1 OB

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
took the kids 22" out there which is tuned into home aerial.. cannot get most channels.. so not the TV.
Like normal if I just put two or three TV leads together and move the cable around I can pickup each channel.

Here is a pic of what the 22" looks in the same place..excuse the dust on it:bolt:
IMG_5313.jpg

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Were doing a house extension (owner build) so just finished the roof over my new garage 18m x 4m . Bringing the caravan out of storage NSW South coast (180km away) next weekend actually and back to Sydney.

Can then store in the new garage and have some weekends booked in Sept/ Oct at Bundeena and Dubbo. Bought a 12v TV for it today, and have a bunch of other stuff to install once in Sydney.

halbster

May 13, 2014
Just think if your Starcraft happened to come without the overhead... Imagine the size of the tv you could fit!!! lol.

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
ok our Gold Coast trip
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/th...o-gold-coast-with-4-kids-first-big-trip.5814/

We had a ball our first big trip with the kids and still have all four by the time we got home. Well just....there where times :)
Listening is not a strong point for the eldest two..
The twins turned 3 while we where away and loved being out of the cot sharing the lower bunk.. They loved how they where not trapped so we heard little feet all night.. 10pm or later before we lost them.. big kids asleep and they sneak out and run down the van going ahhhhhhhhh and cuddle.. Was funny.. Although at 10:30 most nights I just wanted them to sleep.

Things that worked well:
not having a set stop plan on the way up or back. We did not book ahead so stopped where we wanted.
Towed like a dream apart from hills did not get any sway. Not sure ESC, Luck or our setup.
Aldi Coffee machine :)
Weber Q200.
bringing the Dyson stick vac.
Spotlight sheet grippers.. stopped the sheeting coming out of the wall every night
http://www.spotlightstores.com/bed/bedroom-accessories/sheet-grippers/p/BP80240878
finding those BALL BUNGEE LOOP in Byron.. the long ones not the short ones at super cheap.
Got our long wall rope fixed while we waited at Aussie Traveller
had great neighbours at the Gold Coast.
iPads and wifi in car for travelling. Until someone unplugged and battery died :(
Drive was great. I preferred the Newell like going through towns.

Things that where not so great:
On the way up not School Holidays.. four kids under 8 and you feel you need to keep quiet at 7pm as grey nomads gone to bed. :)
Although all loved the kids.. small and twins.. what not to love :)
19-20 litres per 100km :)
80 litre tank.. a few times just made it to servo
Engine light coming on at the Gold Coast so was worried we get back.
Weather after the first week was up and down.. should of done theme parks 3 days in a row.
tourists who jump queues....
Jayco's lack of QC started to don't be rude me off we seemed to find something a lot of days here is the list to get fixed so I do not forget.
TV aerial gone third time now :( the cable from the roof is stuffed.
Awning LED lights gone a few places now
Dinette plywood does not go over edge of box so almost snapped kids sitting on it.. lucky I do not sit that side
one hinge pulled out of overhead cupboard door.
one overhead door does not shut. I prob adjust this if I remember again.
bed slat broke
Key for external shower does not work lock broken. fiddle enough to re lock it.
sail track on awning not sealed in a few places. Drips where I sat over the door and one other place.
small hole in pop top vinyl. need to remember where :)
bottom bunk curtain.. they have metal rings on the top two and plastic where the youngest will go.. we lost I think 7-8 now...

Overall had a fun fun time. off again Cup weekend or maybe sneak a weekend beforehand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swerve and 5ofus

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
brought two end walls with sail tracks last night second hand.. rain came through the gap.
Depending whats wrong with Disco will depend now if we get the annexe. He hopes its the sensor although two come up so which one :(
He reset the codes.. no engine light again

Oh other things great apart from the break
Beds setup all the time.. great time saver
Drive through sites where fantastic when we wanted to go the next day
The small Wasser washing machine we did a lot of loads. Although separate spin takes time.
Ensuite site at Broadwater was fantastic we will be back..

TV arm worked well.. now need to work out a way to leave TV on

Reactions: dagree

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
TV arm worked well.. now need to work out a way to leave TV on
If your TV arm is attached to the wall, we were told the TV is too heavy and with normal road travel let alone bumpy roads, the bouncing will exert too much weight and the arm will probably break off.
We store our TV in its box in the clothes closet, use spare pillows to stop it moving around. Worked well.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
If your TV arm is attached to the wall, we were told the TV is too heavy and with normal road travel let alone bumpy roads, the bouncing will exert too much weight and the arm will probably break off.
We store our TV in its box in the clothes closet, use spare pillows to stop it moving around. Worked well.
Yes why I did not do it, although talked to a few people who have their TV attached.. If I can think of something to hold it nicer.
We put ours on bottom bunk in the corner it fits with a cm or so spare so it cannot go backwards or sideways. Then kids pillow and doona and then dinette convertor on top.

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Good work Dave, re TV, we leave ours connected and just lay it on the double bed, then place back on shelf when stopped, simple but works very well.

Looks like your clocking up a list as well. Good luck !! Also I drive a TB48 (4.8L Petrol Patrol) trust me your consumption is much better then mine !!!!!

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@Swerve what size is your fuel tank we only get 400k's.
I was worried leaving it on double we pull up and TV slide off. For over night stops as I un make the twins bed and put everything in there as well as dinette convertor cushion. I had to beat the twins in to get it out at setup.
Currently we only use the dinette convertor cushion as protection for little ones falling off their bed.. Happened a few times.. Apart from that it gets in the way. We did not take bunk ladder with us as kids get up and down without it.
Faster setup and pack up is what I am trying to do :)

Swerve

Mar 26, 2014
Sydney
Our Petrol Patrol sucks 20lph around town, towing 25-30lph based on right foot. My tank is upgraded to 148 litres. Might put another 70 litres in later.

Our boy was only 2 years 3 months when he started using the ladder, we just leave it up as he loves it. Let the kids go for it. So are the twins sleeping in the bottom bunk or dinette ? sounds like the bottom bunk, just leave all beds set up, leave dinette cushions in storage and happy days

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
148 better then 80 :)
yes twins head to toe.. or toe to toe as they little..
Cushion helps with no thuds falling out.. They still happy to be in cots at home so we will leave them :)
Although would not mind leaving it at home with the ladder :)
Less to take the better..

@Swerve Did you put a hatch under the bunk as yet? Did your van come with the dinette convertor? We have another piece of wood under the bunk mattress to use for convertor as Table is too wide.. So that is under the bunk which makes getting stuff stored under there even more annoying