The Marshians 17.56.2 OB

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Hey @Smergen great read here. Can be slightly daunting getting second hand but glad to see everything has worked out for you. You've got a great setup to give you and your family some great memories.

BTW loved the rustic hitch pin.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @BigSkiddy ... I've always bought second hand cars and houses :))) so it made sense for the van too. The new ones were simply not within our budget and we got this one at a rate that should we want to upgrade to my dream BaseStation we won't have lost much if anything.

The risks with something like a secondhand van is that you don't know exactly how things work or how things were treated. Thankfully though when in at Jayco Ballarat for a service I picked the brain of the blokes there and they gave us some great "hands on" advice and walkthroughs. Also, this forum has been brilliant as a sounding board and as a source of information. I'm hoping now that I'm getting my hands dirty with the van that I'll start "putting in" some interesting stuff to slightly offset the enormous amount of ideas and knowledge I'm getting out of it.

And yep... that hitch pin was certainly "rustic".

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK.. so I've been shopping a little bit.
  1. Portable Air Compressor for the truck (and whatever else needs pumping up!). Went with a Dr Air Pro Flow after online reviews and @Hubble80 's thoughts were all positive. $200 can't argue with that... Should do what we need it to.
  2. An Ampfibian for plugging in around the home and whatever house we happen to drop in on
  3. And some cool little magnetic switch LEDs for the cupboards in the van, which someone on here (sorry, forgot who it was) posted a link to. Took a few weeks to post but they arrived today so they'll get chucked in on the weekend... Picked up 5 of them... Not sure where they are going, but we'll find some hidey holes... :) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Automati...32375?pt=AU_Lighting_Fans&hash=item1e8e255db7

We're thinking of shooting somewhere local for the weekend... Just to get the kids away in the van and the wheels turning. Got to keep it nearby as I'm on call, so was thinking something like Werribee South. Anyone been there, got a review or the like? I know it's low key, but for an overnighter and a playground for the kids it should be OK...

Other progress includes the fence bloke coming around to cut the holes in the concrete slab in the driveway to accommodate the new fence posts as we're realigning the fence to fit a wider gate to get the 'Panda. That'll be awesome when that is finished. Give the big girl it's proper home...

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Tried one of those magnetic LED lights in the fridge. Unfortunately as the fridge internal walls and door aren't square it was hard to line the magnet up correctly so got a set of two motion lights from Bunnings and works well in the fridge.

Now you've given me an idea what to use it for :encouragement: (If the Boss hasn't thrown it out!!!!!)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @dagree, it must have been your link I nicked... Yeah... I hoped to put them in the fridge but they won't work in there. I reckon the ones from Bunnings will probably get a look in.

I reckon the sensors will work well in some of the overhead cupboards.

Reactions: dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... frustrated that the weather wasn't nearly as bad as we thought and realising we should've gone away for the weekend... it was out to spend some time in there any way. A few things to test out:
  1. The Ampfibian - ok... so hardly a mod, but I did want to try out the most expensive extension cord I've ever bought. Plugged it up accordingly and bang, on comes the van on 240... Nice. Will mean that we can take our "house extension" on family catch ups without wondering where everyone will sleep
  2. Finally installed @crustt 's clear windows on the roof canvas... and WOW! What a difference these things made. As the rain started (as if a perfect road test) the van was 'bathed' in sunlight (read.. overcast conditions) and remained dry. Really impressed with these and the quality brilliant. Install was easy for a nuffy for like me, I just need to work out how to change over the one over the draw bar... Will upload the before and after from the phone in a minute.
  3. Bought a couple of LED sensor lights as per others to put in the fridge. Installed it and checked with the phone. It worked well except it turned itself back on whilst in the fridge. f it's that sensitive it won't work too well as it'll come on all the time. Hmmm... more thought required.
DSC_0004.JPG

The table got a test run of UNO with the kids... PASS.

Either way, a fun day out in the van.

Reactions: carpanda

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Love our @crustt covers as well... Made sure they came off the old van before selling and were the first mod done to the new one :)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Ahh this caravan... the gift that keeps on giving...

1) Found a sneaky little 12v socket hidden at the end of the "TV Cabinet" which would be great for a little bedside fan or charger or light...
2) Thought that the light in the door handle was blown as I couldn't find a switch. Surfing on here saw that the switch actually in the handle. Out there today and on it came with a flick of a switch. Call me ignorant, but it was a nice surprise... crappy switch though... very touchy...

Getting the new gate and fence completed tomorrow and a trip up the highway planned next week... Happy times...

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
New gate all done and sorted... will make getting the van in and out much much easier. Which will hopefully lead to more adventures!

Fencer was amazing, and his work was second to none. If anyone is out my way and needing some fence work, shout out and I'll PM details. Impressed so much he's coming back to do the rest of the fence along the property boundary to match the new gate! :)

Mrs Smerg made some fitted sheets for the bunks as well, so ticking a few things off...

Looking forward to taking the van out this weekend though!! First trip with the kids!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I'll download them off the phone tomorrow. Either way, we've gone from 100mm on each side of the gate to nearly a metre I think.

Reactions: dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Gotta be happy with that! Good work.

Yeah, really happy. It's amazing how quickly those who know, with the right tools, can get a great job done. It would have taken me weeks with lots of swear words and shed loads of mistakes. From go to whoa it would have been 3hrs. And that was with me and the kids getting in the way.

Oh... and if you ever need fence posts removed, he showed me a very cool use of a 4wd jack!

Reactions: davemc