The Marshians 17.56.2 OB

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Yep, looking into those as well. Any recommendations other than the standard HR?
Can only comment on HR Brand as that's all I've used..... No complaints with them other than they can't be used with the hitch I've got :(

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks mate. Would you say it's a better solution than beefing up the back end a little? Just another thing to put on the list! :)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
My first preference would be the WDH setup but in saying that it wouldn't hurt beefing up the suspension a bit as well.
One thing with not being able to use WDH bars with ours was that it was a good argument to put to SWMBO'd for a heavy duty lift kit for the Prado 8-)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
We'll the first trip on the highway and it was a short burst up the highway to the drowned 'Rat. First stop was to pump up the bags ready to load up. Went up to 25psi and it sure raised the back end up a tad!
image.jpg
Once loaded it sat down very nicely a little high still. I figure 3 kids and a full boot might level it up. Next, time to swap over the slightly dodgey hitch pin...
image.jpg
Once loaded up we hit the road. In the rain. And wind. I must admit, the new back end made a massive difference. The thing was dead straight and sat very nicely. The Paj was pretty good, plenty of grunt. Speed varied between 90-100.
Made our way to Windmills Big 4 (which I'll do a review of later) and settled in. @17triton called in with his Willy Wonka box of goodies and we had a chat. He help popped the lid, which we both agreed needs a bit of a look at.
And so begins the adventures...
image.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
It certainly got a highway clean on the way up. Will put the kids to work with the soap once we get them back from the parents..

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Ok... Tug and Tow back from respective services. Clean bill of health to both which was great to hear. "Couldn't fault it" and "it's in good nic and been looked after well" were two comments. Nice to hear given the secondhand purchases.

A big shout out to Jayco Ballarat who have been nothing but awesome every time we've been there. Highly recommended. Rear bumper is ordered which I'll pick up when I take the van back to get new internal lifters which Jayco are replacing under warranty despite not having too!

Got some great tips about opening up the van and operating it as well so we were really grateful. They will get our continued service and references I can assure you.

Lots of new things today, lots of $$ spent but it's been fun.

Beer and footy o'clock now...

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
good to hear smergen, already beer (jack daniels ,too bloody cold for beer) o'clock for me early finish today, look forward to meeting you at beaufort.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
We've done our first mod!

OK... so it's not much, but I went and changed the bulbs in the van with some LEDs I bought off Fleabay Still need to replace one of the fittings (@Pace ?), and didn't replace the ones over the range hood and external light as it was getting a bit chilly... Plus I know the outside light takes a little more work, and I reckon I'll look to bunnyhop off that light fitting with some LED strip lighting like others have done.

Here's some pics... because everyone loves pics!
A1.JPG A2.JPG
B1.JPG B2.JPG

Incandescent vs. LED

IMG_1045.JPG

Really like the change in lights. Some might say they are a little more "sterile" but I reckon they freshen the place up, and will only look better with the roof up. Got the T10 ones which simply slot into the brackets. Perfect for doofus's like me.

While I was at it, and inspired by people who changed over the HWS anode. Thought it was in my skillset... which it was. Should have been more aware of the pressure within the system, and got a nice spray of magnesium rubbish, but meh... all part of the fun. Here's the standard "token" before and after shot...

IMG_1038.JPG

Given the "difficulty" of this task, I recommend everyone do this. Critical maintenance that is pretty easy to keep on top of.

So... the mods have begun... It's kinda cool... :)

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
One of the first and best things we did to our old van was to change the globes to LED's.... so much better!