The Marshians 17.56.2 OB

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK.. this is for you @dagree.

Here's the before shot. As you can see from the perspective, she's a tight squeeze getting through the old gate.

IMG_1105.JPG IMG_1106.JPG

And here's the new job. The new gate extends from the new corner post up along the fenceline another foot past the old post. It will get it's first test this weekend as I tow the 'van out and might be a tight squeeze on the current angle, but the intention going forward is to back it in square along the new fence line. Just need a bit of bob cat and concrete work done... And getting the existing fence done (it needed it anyhow) to match the height and condition of the new gate. Added bit of privact won't go astray.

IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1113.JPG

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
A lot bigger opening should be fun.. How is it coming into the garage now?

Doesn't really change much. We've had the poles up for a week or so and haven't noticed anything majorly different. Only one car can fit in there anyhow so we've just lost a little parking space in front of it. Well actually, that parking space is now simply the other side of the fence and will have a caravan on it.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Looks good @Smergen
Should make it a lot easier from what I can tell.

Have used the highlift jack to tension fence posts but now I know another use (Never thought of that)..... And to think I was going to sell mine ;)

Reactions: blacky

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Was hoping to pick up a cheap ALDI one this week, but they've all gone... Was a pretty handy piece of kit to have around.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Flushed the HWS out and washed a bit more out today thanks to @dagree 's tips. Should be good to go I'd imagine.

Then took the flat spare off to take down to get fixed. I can now see why people relocate this thing. What a complete !@#!@ of a thing to get out. Both bottles off... I'm glad I'm relocating it to the rear bumper.

Then it turns out that the spare has a hairline crack in it. The tyre shop is confident of a repair given it's a spare but I might think of a longer term solution going forward. Very puzzling given that it's the spare and looks largely unused...

But either way, will have it back by the weekend for the trip up the Calder.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
OK... update time and it's a very nice update to provide.

Took the van up the road to my brothers place for it's first trip with the kids. Wasn't really "camping" but with three kids in tow, landing on peoples places means things can get rather "squishy". Not anymore! We're bringing out own bedrooms with us now!

So, plenty of van things done, so let's go through them...

1) Bought some rated D-shackles from the 4x4 show and put them on. Chucked the others in the van as spares
2) The new gate is FANTASTIC! Makes navigating in and out of the backyard stress free. Even managed to jack knife the van onto the grass when we got home to give it a bath next weekend (it's concrete pad isn't done yet). Is going to make getting away for "quick weekends" that much more attractive and possible.
3) On the road:

IMG_1127.JPG

The Paj towed it really well on it's longest trip yet. Fuel consumption came back pretty good I reckon at 14.5L/100km. It's not the flattest of journeys so the engine had to do some work! It bounced around a little on the very bumpy sections between the Marsh and Gisborne but all in all really impressed with the set up. Temp gauge climbed on some of the big extended hill climbs on the way home but nothing we couldn't manage with a drop in speed (down to 80) and some gear management. Will be something to monitor in hotter conditions though.

4) Inside:

IMG_1132.JPG

Kids loved it. And I mean LOVED it. Each has their own little part of the world which they can take ownership of. Bounced around like bouncy balls the first night which was frustrating, but secretly kind of cute. The 2nd night they were wiped out so it was much easier to get them to sleep. Functionally there's plenty of space and storage for a quick stay, but we learnt a bit about of what we might need for the bigger trips. Next big thing will be to learn the inner workings of the dunny and shower. Midnight toilet runs aren't much fun, so we need to get up to speed so the kids can look after themselves. Still, easily manageable.

5) MODS!!

Our biggest mod occured, with my brother coming through with the rear bar. We went into his workshop on Saturday and I tacked it up while he then went and did the bigger welds. It's a big bar indeed, with a fair chunk of weight about it. Once we move the spare onto it, we will definitely need to think about a box or something to balance it up and ensuring it doesn't become too "back heavy". Either way, he's done a fantastic job and I need to throw some nice gal paint at it to sharpen it up. It has 3 "settings" which allow us to move the bar in and out depending on what we want on it. Now just need the spare tyre bracket made up and work out where the bikes might go.

Ready to weld
IMG_1136.JPG
Welded up and ready to test out
IMG_1138.JPG
Fitted! Needs a paint and some end caps but otherwise the hard part is done!
IMG_1144.JPG IMG_1143.JPG

Last edited:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Flushed the HWS out and washed a bit more out today thanks to @dagree 's tips. Should be good to go I'd imagine.

Then took the flat spare off to take down to get fixed. I can now see why people relocate this thing. What a complete !@#!@ of a thing to get out. Both bottles off... I'm glad I'm relocating it to the rear bumper.

Then it turns out that the spare has a hairline crack in it. The tyre shop is confident of a repair given it's a spare but I might think of a longer term solution going forward. Very puzzling given that it's the spare and looks largely unused...

But either way, will have it back by the weekend for the trip up the Calder.
Same happened with me, the left hand van tyre rim had a hair line crack. Swapped it for the spare, already relocated to the rear bumper and had the rim replaced at first service. Was gradually going flat over a week or so. Adl Jayco said they have had a few like this. Manu fault? Maybe everyone needs to check their spare, don't want to be caught in the middle of nowhere with a flat spare!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Same happened with me, the left hand van tyre rim had a hair line crack. Swapped it for the spare, already relocated to the rear bumper and had the rim replaced at first service. Was gradually going flat over a week or so. Adl Jayco said they have had a few like this. Manu fault? Maybe everyone needs to check their spare, don't want to be caught in the middle of nowhere with a flat spare!

Interesting... so do you think we could get it replaced under warranty then? The spare hasn't seen the road at all, so it's surprising that it's got a crack full stop. But it was Jayco who first pointed it out at the service so I would have thought they might have changed it if it was. They are planning on replacing the lifters when they get the chance... which reminds me, better give them a reminder call about that.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Interesting... so do you think we could get it replaced under warranty then? The spare hasn't seen the road at all, so it's surprising that it's got a crack full stop. But it was Jayco who first pointed it out at the service so I would have thought they might have changed it if it was. They are planning on replacing the lifters when they get the chance... which reminds me, better give them a reminder call about that.
Yes, they should replace as the hair line crack is a Manu fault. Insist if they are reluctant. Adl Jayco said straight away, we will get Jayco to replace, ordered a replace rim straight away.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I hade 2 rims replaced under warranty for cracks in the rims. Must have been a faulty casting. I thought I was going mad after checking the tyres and the valve caps and noting appeared to be leaking. "Weird" but yet I was loosing tyre pressure.

:behindsofa:Then I snuck one rim into the bath:bathbaby: while SWMBO wasn't around. After bathing the rim I found air was coming out from the middle of the rim to my amazement... Then after doing all the 5 rims I found out that two were faulty.
Then of to the local Jayco repair agent for a replacement under warranty.

Last edited:

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
@Smergen do jayco still have the same wheels that are on your expanda ?