17' Series New Jayco Bed End Covers!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I can't help with the specifics, but the press studs are generally screwed in the structural ridges in the underside of the hard lid. The potential problem with that is the structural ridges are formed under the fibreglass with very cheap, very weak timber such as packing ply; and the depth of the resin can vary greatly.

That ply substrates only function is to provide form/or shape, for the fibre glass laid over the top. Fibreglass is very strong, but brittle and screws don't cut a thread very well through it. The ply substrate also is neither designed or capable of holding a screw thread very well. All in all the screw attachment method alone is not ideal. You'll often see the mesh and press studs detached on display vans, such as at caravan shows etc.

Put a dob of adhesive under the press stud before you screw it on with a quality adhesive such as Sika 291 polyurethane sealant (stocked at Bunnings). Lightly scuff the fibreglass with a wet/dry, then clean the surface first with a prep wash or turps or metho or similar and the press studs should stay attached indefinitely

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Squirter231 I don't have any instructions for the privacy screens, however if you fit the press studs as @Crusty181 describes and look at these photos I took of how they are installed on my van, you should be able to work it out.

Attachments

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
@dagree sent the picture to me when I was struggling with mine

View attachment 40898

in this one you can see how the tracking is attached, and how little amount you have of room

View attachment 40899
Have similar pics but found no real difficulty adding extra press studs. The Privacy studs are on the inner level, the bed end cover studs on the outer ridge. Have also posted pics showing positions.

Mcbray

Jun 26, 2017
Brisbane
Just got back from a 3 week tug to airlie, had 5 days were we had rain a few dewy mornings and no wet bed ends, pillows or feet. Had the Vinyl Kakadu BEFs installed before we left no real driving rain thou, but so far very happy. Quick to put on and off as well
Hi Matthew,
Sorry mate, old post I know but wanting to see if you are still happy with the Kakadu bed ends. Am waiting delivery on our extenda and still tossing up which way to go with these. Like the idea of the Kakadu as the vinyl is easy clean, won't draw the water through etc. Have you any pics handy at all mate?
Any feedback would be great.
Cheers
Mark

Jul 4, 2014
Engadine
Hi Matthew,
Sorry mate, old post I know but wanting to see if you are still happy with the Kakadu bed ends. Am waiting delivery on our extenda and still tossing up which way to go with these. Like the idea of the Kakadu as the vinyl is easy clean, won't draw the water through etc. Have you any pics handy at all mate?
Any feedback would be great.
Cheers
Mark
Hi mate,
Had them 3 years and couldn't be happy. Make the ends cooler in summer, warmer in winter. So easy to put on and off.

Attachments

Oct 18, 2015
Mornington Peninsula
Not sure if I've already posted a pic of our cover - as you know we ended up with the new style lid with the changed weatherproof seal around the outside edge, so our cover had to be installed differently.. Here's a couple of pics -

View attachment 29208
View attachment 29209

As it turns out, we much prefer it this way, as we can leave the BEF on the van all the time - hubby added a couple more press studs to the bottom of the canvas and also in the lid, which enables us to clip it up when folding the bed end down -
View attachment 29210

It folds away easily and saves time when setting up too :)

It's yet to be tested in heavy rain, but all in all we are very happy with he result!
Not sure if I've already posted a pic of our cover - as you know we ended up with the new style lid with the changed weatherproof seal around the outside edge, so our cover had to be installed differently.. Here's a couple of pics -

View attachment 29208
View attachment 29209

As it turns out, we much prefer it this way, as we can leave the BEF on the van all the time - hubby added a couple more press studs to the bottom of the canvas and also in the lid, which enables us to clip it up when folding the bed end down -
View attachment 29210

It folds away easily and saves time when setting up too :)

It's yet to be tested in heavy rain, but all in all we are very happy with he result!
Morning Flossy Mk1,
We have the same bed end covers which we ordered with our new van, the only issue is that the studs were not installed so you can travel with the bed ends attached. We installed the covers on our last trip and used the existing studs on the side to travel, this meant we had to have lids half lowered to attach the cover for travel, this involved the family holding the lid while I pushed the studs on with all of us ending up with anger management issues. Could you please explain or show a photo of where you have attached the studs for travelling (as you have the covers in the final photo) as there doesn't seem to be a common location for the travel studs in each of the installations that I have seen, the guys from Jayco didn't know that the covers could remain on got travel.
We have tested the ends in heavy rain with no leaks or wet bed ends which occurred in our last 17:56/2 Expanda.
Cheers
Derm