17' Series New Jayco Bed End Covers!

Derek

Apr 2, 2014
I slide in one end first then the long edge this takes the weight as I am typically the only adult in the van my 5 and 7 year olds are not too much help. To be honest there is no wrong way as it is long enough to do either way

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Agree with ALL the above answers..... I've tried the different options. (Side first then long end and long end first sides next). Couldn't pick a preferred option!!

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Installed bed end covers today
Must comment on how good Jayco in Adelaide were, great price and delivered in 2 days to Perth.
Went the same route as everyone else and installed them under the lid (looks much better)
I'm going to give heavy duty Velcro (white) a shot on the sides first before the press studs
Seems to work great but will give it a thorough test on the Australia Day long weekend
Thanks again to this forum for everyone's tips and thoughts
its a great place to get genuine information
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1535.JPG
    IMG_1535.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 609
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 570
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 556
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 517
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 528
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 542

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Installed bed end covers today
Must comment on how good Jayco in Adelaide were, great price and delivered in 2 days to Perth.
Went the same route as everyone else and installed them under the lid (looks much better)
I'm going to give heavy duty Velcro (white) a shot on the sides first before the press studs
Seems to work great but will give it a thorough test on the Australia Day long weekend
Thanks again to this forum for everyone's tips and thoughts
its a great place to get genuine information
Cheers

Looks like a nice job @Seanm5253 . We used our BEF's for the first time over Christmas.

Ours uses the press studs for the privacy screens, but with the winds we had, they were constantly coming unclipped.

I have found a Heavy Duty Velcro called 'Dual Lock' which seems much better than standard Velcro.

I'm going to give it a try (Bunnings have it)

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Not sure if I've already posted a pic of our cover - as you know we ended up with the new style lid with the changed weatherproof seal around the outside edge, so our cover had to be installed differently.. Here's a couple of pics -

image.jpg

image.jpg

As it turns out, we much prefer it this way, as we can leave the BEF on the van all the time - hubby added a couple more press studs to the bottom of the canvas and also in the lid, which enables us to clip it up when folding the bed end down -
image.jpg

It folds away easily and saves time when setting up too :)

It's yet to be tested in heavy rain, but all in all we are very happy with he result!

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Just as a meter of interest, how actually did they attach the sail track?
Would not have been possible I would have thought to pop rivet it.
How thick are the new lids?

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well today I found out why these new vans bed ends leak, I always wondered why, when mine is dry as a bone after an original soak and spray of proofing.
Today I checked out a new 14.44.5 at Brisbane Camperland and noticed that the bed ends where made of much lighter material than earlier models, so much so that you could see the sun thru any part of it, not so with mine, no wonder everyone wants these new additions, a good soak of waterproofing wouldn't hurt either. I had thought this was the case last year but hadn't taken much notice.

I would very much like a 14.44.5 also but $42,000 is a bit beyond me, maybe after Saturday.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Drover your spot on with the canvas weight. I dont think its significantly lighter, but our new van is definately a lighter canvas than our 2009, and more so with the vinyl skirt under the canvas ... thats much lighter to.

A couple of years ago they did a horrid greeny colored canvas and it seemed so thin it was almost transparent

That said, I seasoned the new one and sealed the seams, and although we have a BEF im confident it would be as good as the old one van.

I do love the BEF tho. It really belted down here on the coast last night. Lot of heavy dumping rain and wind; then constant rain all night and not one single drop on the bed end

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Well today I found out why these new vans bed ends leak, I always wondered why, when mine is dry as a bone after an original soak and spray of proofing.
Today I checked out a new 14.44.5 at Brisbane Camperland and noticed that the bed ends where made of much lighter material than earlier models, so much so that you could see the sun thru any part of it, not so with mine, no wonder everyone wants these new additions, a good soak of waterproofing wouldn't hurt either. I had thought this was the case last year but hadn't taken much notice.

I would very much like a 14.44.5 also but $42,000 is a bit beyond me, maybe after Saturday.
We have the 14.44-5 OB and love it. It is 2013 model. It has the lighter canvas and no leaks except when I touched the canvas near the bottom where it joints the water proof strip around the bottom. Still, BEFs are a safety precaution, have not had a big heavy rain or storm with it yet.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hi Drover, I know of an immaculate 2012 14.44.5 (with BEF) going cheap if you are interested.

The major stumbling block is folks want money for them, ATM I'd prefer " Free to good home". It is tempting but the old rig will have to do, too much travelling to do.

@Drover your spot on with the canvas weight.
That said, I seasoned the new one and sealed the seams,
It really belted down here on the coast last night. Lot of heavy dumping rain and wind; then constant rain all night and not one single drop on the bed end

Last month we copped some doozy wet weather on the coast and I was wondering if I needed a BEF, thankfully it didn't even look like getting in so my $30 of waterproofing was good and should do for another 12 mths. I did notice the vinyl strip on the new ones at the bottom was very thin and damn just remembered what I wanted at the Caravanland shop, a bed end latch to put on the other side, bugga,bugga,bugga, oh well a pool gate latch will do. 180km away so not visited often.

It has the lighter canvas and no leaks except when I touched the canvas near the bottom where it joints the water proof strip around the bottom. .

If you have some bee's wax handy or candle will do run it over the stitching, so long as it's had a good soaking at some time if not soak it down, let it dry fully. Do it on a hot day preferably, other than protecting the stitching it will also waterproof it nicely. Always did that when I patched up truck tarps and tents, dry as a bone afterwards.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
The major stumbling block is folks want money for them, ATM I'd prefer " Free to good home". It is tempting but the old rig will have to do, too much travelling to do.

Last month we copped some doozy wet weather on the coast and I was wondering if I needed a BEF, thankfully it didn't even look like getting in so my $30 of waterproofing was good and should do for another 12 mths. I did notice the vinyl strip on the new ones at the bottom was very thin and damn just remembered what I wanted at the Caravanland shop, a bed end latch to put on the other side, bugga,bugga,bugga, oh well a pool gate latch will do. 180km away so not visited often.

If you have some bee's wax handy or candle will do run it over the stitching, so long as it's had a good soaking at some time if not soak it down, let it dry fully. Do it on a hot day preferably, other than protecting the stitching it will also waterproof it nicely. Always did that when I patched up truck tarps and tents, dry as a bone afterwards.
Will do, thanks

Dajotrad

Aug 3, 2014
I just had some fitted with my first service last week, front is a different shape to back which they didn't realise so I have to wait for the back, they were $270 each end, now just to test they in the rain, which comes every time we go away :)
Do they stay fitted all the time like the privacy screens or do you have to fit them every time you Ste up ?

Squirter231

Feb 21, 2015
Melbourne
Hi all! Have just received in the mail a new set of mesh fly/privacy screens for the front and rear on our 2010 16-49-1. The only trouble is it doesn't seem to be accompanied by any paperwork. I don't believe the install will be super challenging, just a little confusing without knowing where to start. Does anyone have instructions or has any one attempted such an install? being a weekend i don't hold much hope of getting a reply from the supplier, and really need to get them installed this weekend as we go away next! they are from campsmart, advertised as being made by Jayco and are a press stud install. Any photos or similar would be greatly appreciated!