17' Series New Jayco Bed End Covers!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just went thru 2 good downpours here over the last couple of days, lots of water and wind, my bed ends were wet as anything on the outside but all was dry as chips inside, normally is, even wiped my hand over the canvas and still dry.

I wonder has anyone hosed their bed ends down, give em a good soak when you first get your rig ???
After years tenting it ( 40) I'm surprised by the amount of folks getting wet.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just went thru 2 good downpours here over the last couple of days, lots of water and wind, my bed ends were wet as anything on the outside but all was dry as chips inside, normally is, even wiped my hand over the canvas and still dry.

I wonder has anyone hosed their bed ends down, give em a good soak when you first get your rig ???
I gave my bed ends an industrial size multiple soaking over 2 days ..... then proofed the seams. I think its a failure of Jayco not to give new owners some very detailed seasoning instructions and the dos and donts of canvas, because cared for properly from day one, the Expanda bed ends are very resilient

Reactions: Smirke and Drover

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep I used to do ours and still got wet, being 6'1" I just found I would always end up with a pillow or blanket pushed up against the canvas and then invetibly the canvas would bleed water through.

Reactions: Drover

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
We gave our bed end a good hose too - still waiting for a rainy day to test out the canvas cover though

Hubby installed a couple of press studs on the cover and bed end lid to clip up the cover when we are folding the lid down and it works a treat! Very happy! (Will post a pic when we arrive in Malanda this arvo if I remember)

We are off on our 2 week trip today, so I'm sure we will get a chance to test its 'waterproofness' at some point during the trip :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well after the thing has dried out I gave it a good spray of waterproofing stuff as well, I just use the same liquid stuff I use on my Drizabone coats and I can't think of the name of it. Squirty spray bottle costs about $25 can get it in 2lt bottle as well I think.

Reactions: Flossymk1

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

I gave my bed ends an industrial size multiple soaking over 2 days ..... then proofed the seams. I think its a failure of Jayco not to give new owners some very detailed seasoning instructions and the dos and donts of canvas, because cared for properly from day one, the Expanda bed ends are very resilient

yeah, as I used to tent as well (many many moons ago)
it was a question I had answered by Ken (our Salesman at Caravanland) without even asking ! ! !
"dont forget, when you get home, set it up, and wet the canvas, so that it gets seasoned....."

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
We had or bed ends custom made to our specific design by ADP in Melbourne - cheaper than Jayco's and they attach to the lid using the privacy cover heavy duty press studs - we have upgraded to a StarCraft a couple of weeks ago but the ADP bed ends on our Expanda were absolutely superb, fixed the problem, never leaked and gave us plenty of fresh air in hot non rainy weather for 4 years. ADP used a 600 denier polyester fabric - waterproof and rot proof plus is lighter than canvas and NO Sailtracks to worry about adding - if you have privacy screens the press studs are already there - see pics
Who ever buys our Expanda trade-in from Jayco Sydney will get a damned good product with these as a bonus

and by the way - these end covers are like a tent fly, they don't replace the original canvas bed ends but fit as additional protection like the privacy screens

Junee - Expanda Waterproof bed end privacy screen open - web file- June 2013.jpg
- we had zippers put on the corners so we can use like a tent fly for sunny weather

Junee - Expanda Waterproof bed end gussett closed web file - June 2013.jpg
- the gusset means we can zip up when it pours bit still keep the caravan un-zipped inside for plenty of air circulation - great for the heavy downpours in hot Queensland

Junee - Expanda Waterproof bed end privacy screen rear - web file - June 2013.jpg
Rear view

Junee - Expanda Waterproof bed end privacy window and rear open web file - June 2013.jpg
another side view - with rainproof clear section rolled up - its a semi private screen underneath

Last edited:

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
Can't claim to be totally my idea - saw something similar and added our own zip-in section - the one I saw was a single piece held out by guy ropes - we added the zippers so we could have even more air circulation in hot dry weather - and yes we did know about Bean - being volunteer researchers that mostly help visitors find their relatives war service history at the AWM (Australian War Memorial)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
- and yes we did know about Bean - being volunteer researchers that mostly help visitors find their relatives war service history at the AWM (Australian War Memorial)

not a lot of people do, unfortunately.......

I just change that randomly when I see something interesting......

maybe change it soon..........

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
For anyone that is interested here is the drawing we provided to ADP, 3 pages in the attached pdf file - they did a great job making it up exactly as we wanted - fitted it to the van and made sure everything was right before we left their premises.

Attachments

• ADP Expanda bed screen modification.pdf
    782.2 KB · Views: 445
Reactions: Chooky and bigcol

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
For anyone that is interested here is the drawing we provided to ADP, 3 pages in the attached pdf file - they did a great job making it up exactly as we wanted - fitted it to the van and made sure everything was right before we left their premises.
thanks heaps will be fitting these look great nice work merry Christmas

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Derek

Apr 2, 2014
Yes, I have instructions to suit Jayco BEFs. Will send via DM if you wish.
Have been used by several Forumites successfully. Let me know if you want them
Hi Marv_mart. can you share the install instructions please? just bought via ebay no instructions to fit many thanks Derek

Seanm5253

Dec 21, 2014
Hillarys Perth
Hi all
Dumb question but what's the system for sliding the canvas in the sail track ???
Do you slide the long section in first then the 2 ends ???
Cheers

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hi all
Dumb question but what's the system for sliding the canvas in the sail track ???
Do you slide the long section in first then the 2 ends ???
Cheers

Hi @Seanm5253, that is definitely not a dumb question as it can be confusing for the first time...
I guess there are number of ways of dong it and just need to find what works for you best. What I do is slide the left or right side first and do the rest of the two sides after. This way I can pull the canvas long enough cover the bed-ends nicely. see my thread:
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/2014-expanda-ob-17-56.5403/page-6
hope this helps....
Cheers TRAKADU

Reactions: bigcol