LEDs

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Thanks from me to Boots, i just ordered 3. This also solves the probnlem of burning your finger on the globe if you try and turn off without care.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have found this entire thread very informative and interesting reading.

I think that there would be so many people out there, spending hundreds of dollars on bigger or additional batteries, solar panels etc, when they really only needed to spend $20 on LED`s.

I think lighting is the main thing caravaners use through the night. To use 2.5amps instead of 18.5 amps per hour makes a huge difference over a few nights.

My 100Amp hour battery may have struggled supplying 18amp per hour all through the night {If all lights were on}, but now with LED`s on their way, the 2.5 amps per hour shouldn`t even make it break a sweat. {Thats if all the lights are on which wouldn`t happen anyway}

I guess Boots has highlighted to everyone that we can either spend hundreds of dollars increasing our power supply
OR
Spend less then 20 bux and decrease our power usage.

Now I don`t have the need to buy the 60kg 230ah $500 battery, my 100ah can comfortably supply the power for my LED night lights.

My small 110 Watt solar panel should have the batteries topped up early next morning too.

I`m voting this thread for golden globe award!

{Or should that be LED globe award} hehe!

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
I probably didn't "need" to buy it, but I can run the extra fridge, TV, fans etc for a week with low or no sun without being worried. Bring on the apocalypse!!!
!!

Good point Big guy. If your running a lot of other things like fridges, tv`s etc, it`s probably a good idea to get a big battery.

My non powered sites are usually only a weekend thing. I use the existing fridge on gas, rarely use a tv set, so mainly rely on my battery power for lighting.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Yes they can get a bit hot. Especially the halogen ones.

Firstly, great post Boots. Got some fantastic info here. I already have the bulb type LED's throughout the van but will convert to the flat type ones since the bulb types are a little dull. Especially the outside light, need more out there.

Standard halogen lamps output about 97% heat and 3% light so yes they would be very hot to touch.

After all, have a look at a kitchen warmer with halogen lights to keep the food warm. All the extra current goes towards heating rather than lighting up the food and making it more attractive... :hungry:

I agree with Coastrunner, some awesome comments relating to energy efficiency. Well done.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
I probably didn't "need" to buy it, but I can run the extra fridge, TV, fans etc for a week with low or no sun without being worried. Bring on the apocalypse!!!
!!

Most of our camping is free camping - and at times we have been 2 weeks freecamped in the same spot and our need for extra battery solar panels etc is not so much the lights but the extra compressor fridge like Bigman - also for recharging computers etc for our big trip. In saying this we will be switching our lights to LEDs though!

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
So I popped my LEDS in which arrived yesterday, the flat 48 led 5000k units, and to be particularly honest the light they give off is not as welcoming as the warm light of the globes. They certainly are nice & bright and I do like the idea of not using as much power, so I've found some warm 3500k units on eBay and will try them instead. Plus side is the Missus reckons I'll look better in the soft light haha! Also noticed that they don't seem to reflect off of the roof as much as the globes .

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Here is a few pics

Light 1 005.jpg
1 with led 1 with bulb
Light 2 006.jpg
with Bulbs
Light 3 007.jpg
with led

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Thanks Captain.

From looking at the pics, it seems like the LED lights are a much brighter and whiter light, and the old globes give off a bit more of a yellowish glow.

Would that be correct Captain?

I ordered my LEDs a week ago so not far behind you.

Capt. Gadget

Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Thanks Captain.

From looking at the pics, it seems like the LED lights are a much brighter and whiter light, and the old globes give off a bit more of a yellowish glow.

Would that be correct Captain?

Yeah thats right CR they are a slightly brighter and a much whiter light, great for reading, but I still like the more relaxed warm glow from the bulbs. I'm surprised about the brightness I was a bit concerned about the 48 leds I thought that they may have been too bright as most people here seem to be opting for the 36 leds. Ive ordered the 3500k (warm White) ones from here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30063338...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_5036wt_1156 at $26.24 for 8 sets delivered I won't feel too bad if I don't like them but it will be good to be able to compare and if I do like the warm ones I'll use the white ones outside somewhere

Cheers Grant

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Yeah thats right CR they are a slightly brighter and a much whiter light, great for reading, but I still like the more relaxed warm glow from the bulbs.

Hey Grant
Yeah most people have that reaction at first but you will find that after using them a few times you don't even think about the colour any more. Many people use white fluorescent lights in their kitchen/work areas now days so they are already used to that whiter light. Will be interesting to see how the softer coloured leds go.... It's great to see people having a go and experimenting. be sure and post the results when they arrive. :)

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Woooohooooo!

My 4 x 36 SMD LEDs arrived in mail today.

In 10 minutes I had them installed in my 2 main internal lights. I think the 36ers are the perfect set to install into the main interior lights.

Now just waiting on my 2 x 48`s for the outside, the 2 x 12 SMD`s for the bed lights and the MR11 for the range hood.

3 cheers for Boots!

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi People.

Well I`m just about there.

I`ve got my 36ers in the main lights, my 12ers in the bedlights, and just come in after putting my 48ers x 2 into my exterior light.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I wasn`t quite sure how to parallel wire 2 x 48LED`s together for the external light, but after your help managed to get the job done.

I took a few progress pics if anyone else needs advice and help along the way.

See below.

photo-8.JPG

First:- I pulled the power fuse to the lights, then cut away the silicon from the outside light cover and removed the top cover
Second:- Unscrewed main light fitting and removed internal fittings
Third Step:- Soldiered the LED connection fittings to the existing wires. {This way, if my lights ever stop working, I only need to unclip them and replace them. No resoldiering wires etc.}

photo-9.JPGphoto-10.JPG

Fourth Step:- I peeled the backing off both sets of LED`s. I saw where the wires are soldiered onto the back of the LED plate. With some spare wire from other connections I joined the wires from the second LED to the first LED back plate by soldiering onto the positive and negative indicator spots.

I then bent the excess wire back under the double sided tape and plate wall. Moved the wiring from top of plate to the side of plate.

photo-11.JPG

I then stuck the LEDs side by side, put the fuse back in and did a power check. Lights worked perfectly.

Woohoo.

2 x 48ers in the outside light.

I cant wait til it`s dark to see my LED 96ers in action.