LEDs

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Just spent the afternoon fitting some LEDs to the lights and took some measurements to see if the power saving was worth the change. The results are below. for reference the battery voltage was 12.6v. 1000ma = 1Amp
First I measured the originals
T10 wedge type bulb 1400ma each these are used in most lights
MR11 (in rangehood) 1650ma
Led Light over kitchen bench 120ma
G4 Bulb in outside light 830ma
in my 14.44 there are 10 t10, 1 G4 and 2MR11 bulbs. with them all on thats a total of 18130ma (18.1amp)
now for the Leds. I got a few different types to try

These 4led lights are ideal as a small reading light current draw 70ma each.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-4-LE...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f09206a5f

36 led main light. these are an excellent replacement for main cabin bulbs current draw 250ma
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T10-36-S...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0bffe907

48 led main light. Like the 36 only a bit brighter. These will also fit in the main lights. current draw 270ma each
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Light-Pa...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f09f6d587

MR11 leds for the range hood. Haven't fitted these yet but measured the current draw at 70ma each. they look like they will be nice and bright too.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MR11-Whi...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41599efc0f

I ended up using 36led in most of the cabin lights and a couple of the 4led for reading and will use the MR11 leds too.The end result is is a total current draw of 2530ma, that's less than one of the current double lights! a saving of 15600ma (16amp). a very good result. The light produced is more like a white fluorescent and is every bit as bright (I think brighter) as the originals. Time will tell as to how long they last, leds should have a good life span but these are quite cheap. I also measured the range hood exhaust fan which draws 930ma and our 19" led tv which used 1600ma while playing a movie from a USB stick. some pictures below, all were taken without flash..

3775.jpg3776.jpg3777.jpg

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
looks great Boots I've done the same except 4 the mr11's in the rangehood.When You get them fitted let us know how well they work as I will probably do the same.Today I removed the small light over the sink and replaced it with a 50cm LED strip light,this lights up the sink and bench way better.If You know how to remove cover on exterior(annexe) light please let Me Know as I want to LED this one up as well.cheers.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Interesting figures, just shows how quickly you can go through a 100amp battery with non LED lights on.
I'm hoping our van will have LED's when we pick it up

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
looks great Boots I've done the same except 4 the mr11's in the rangehood.When You get them fitted let us know how well they work as I will probably do the same.Today I removed the small light over the sink and replaced it with a 50cm LED strip light,this lights up the sink and bench way better.If You know how to remove cover on exterior(annexe) light please let Me Know as I want to LED this one up as well.cheers.

The led strip light sounds good, any chance of a pic to see how it looks. The exterior light is fairly easy once you work it out (took me a while to work it out though :) ) I will post how to do it in a new thread.
here's a pic of the conversion to leds. I wanted it bright so i used two 48 led panels

IMG_3812_1024x683.jpgIMG_3821_1024x683.jpg

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
I'm assuming that these will still work fine when connected to 240v power in caravan parks?

The Setec power unit in the Jayco supplies 13.65v when connected to 240v. As these LEDs are marketed as replacements for use in the automotive industry they should be able to work with anything up to 14.5v without problems. Having said that, these are from China so only time will tell. I did hook the 36 led panel up to my bench power supply and let it run at 14v for a while and it went ok. It did draw more current, at 14v it went up to 300ma. I think some of the others on this forum have been using these for a while so if any are reading this post maybe you could let us know if you have had any issues.

Reactions: Matty4

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Fantastic Boots!! would you be able to give a list of how many of each you used in your van? I know it a 14.44-4 but maybe we can start to get a list together for each van model so we can order prior to delivery? although there has been a bit of conjecture on whether or not they are supplied with the van.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
The Setec power unit in the Jayco supplies 13.65v when connected to 240v. As these LEDs are marketed as replacements for use in the automotive industry they should be able to work with anything up to 14.5v without problems. Having said that, these are from China so only time will tell. I did hook the 36 led panel up to my bench power supply and let it run at 14v for a while and it went ok. It did draw more current, at 14v it went up to 300ma. I think some of the others on this forum have been using these for a while so if any are reading this post maybe you could let us know if you have had any issues.

mine have been going good. All working OK
All I need to change is the outside light now

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
mine have been going good. All working OK
All I need to change is the outside light now

Good to hear they are working ok, I tried mine out tonight for the first time in total darkness and was very impressed. The outside light uses a G4 type bulb, about 10w going by the current draw. I had a look on ebay and found lots of G4 led bulbs but didn't find anything that would give me the light I wanted. The G4 mounting section of the light is easily removed by taking out 2 screws so you can put a different type of bulb.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Fantastic Boots!! would you be able to give a list of how many of each you used in your van? I know it a 14.44-4 but maybe we can start to get a list together for each van model so we can order prior to delivery? although there has been a bit of conjecture on whether or not they are supplied with the van.
Ok on my 14.44-4

3 X large Double Lights ( 2 in main cabin area and one over top Bunk bed) These each have 2 T10 bulbs as standard. I fitted 2 36 led panels to each of these.

2 X large single lights. These are the lights that are used with a lead that allows you to fit them to the bed area and one is mounted to the roof as you enter the bed. These come standard with 1 T10 bulb. I fitted a 36 led panel to the roof mounted one and a 4led to the cord mounted one, it now makes a good reading light.

2 X MR11 down lights in the range hood. I have the led lights but have not fitted these yet. looks like the hood has to come down to fit these, but only a hand full of screws to do that.

Door light on outside has 1 T10 bulb. If you don't want it real bright use the 4 led bulb here. I have a 36 led panel in there at the moment but it may be too bright as it sits around eye level.

Annexe Light outside uses 1 G4 bulb. You can replace this with a led G4 bulb or fit either of the larger flat panel leds

There is also a reading light for the bottom bunk bet but it is already a led light and the light over the bench top is also a led type.

Think that's the lot. :)

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
Thank for the thread Boots,

I have just last week replaced all of the internal T10 bulbs with the same 36 LED's as you used. I have used them while away this past weekend, so far no problems.

You have also solved my problems of how to remove the lense from the annex light, and also sourcing the MR11 LED's.

A little gadget I've had for a while for measuring the current drawn from different devices is the meter from Jaycar

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QP2251&keywords=current&form=KEYWORD
it just plugs in place of the blade fuse, and lets you quickly read the current draw.

Jason

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hi Boots33

Thanks for the great info, because I have been putting off the job of changing to LEDS for a few years now. With the info provided and the links to the website it made it a walk in the park.

I have ordered the replacement LEDS from the web link you provided. My only other question is .........

Do the LEDS get warm?, because I am wondering what adhesive to use, what do you recommend?

Thanks

Skip

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Hi Boots33

Thanks for the great info, because I have been putting off the job of changing to LEDS for a few years now. With the info provided and the links to the website it made it a walk in the park.

I have ordered the replacement LEDS from the web link you provided. My only other question is .........

Do the LEDS get warm?, because I am wondering what adhesive to use, what do you recommend?

Thanks

Skip

Hi Skip
The leds do get warm but not as hot as the bulbs do. The flat panel leds come with double sided tape on them and that is what i used for most of the lights. However I doubt the tape is a 3M product as marked so could well let go after a while. On the annexe light I removed the tape and used a few dobs of silicone as the main glue with a bit of hot glue just to hold it while the silicone set. If the tape lets go on the other lights i think i will use silicone there as well, this should make it easy to remove the led panels if they need replacing. I see that on another forum they have been using this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/302-two-component-acrylate-adhesive-5-minute-a-b-glue-6404 to glue them in place but it might be a bit harder to remove if needed. I think you would also need to remove the lights as those sort of glues are usually fairly runny.
I'm only learning as i go so would love to hear what others have used yo keep them in place.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Thank for the thread Boots,

I have just last week replaced all of the internal T10 bulbs with the same 36 LED's as you used. I have used them while away this past weekend, so far no problems.

You have also solved my problems of how to remove the lense from the annex light, and also sourcing the MR11 LED's.

A little gadget I've had for a while for measuring the current drawn from different devices is the meter from Jaycar

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QP2251&keywords=current&form=KEYWORD
it just plugs in place of the blade fuse, and lets you quickly read the current draw.
Jason

Hi Jason
Did you use the double sided tape or did you glue them in? That current meter looks like a handy piece of kit and handles up to 20amp!
Shane

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hi Skip
The leds do get warm but not as hot as the bulbs do. The flat panel leds come with double sided tape on them and that is what i used for most of the lights. However I doubt the tape is a 3M product as marked so could well let go after a while. On the annexe light I removed the tape and used a few dobs of silicone as the main glue with a bit of hot glue just to hold it while the silicone set. If the tape lets go on the other lights i think i will use silicone there as well, this should make it easy to remove the led panels if they need replacing. I see that on another forum they have been using this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/302-two-component-acrylate-adhesive-5-minute-a-b-glue-6404 to glue them in place but it might be a bit harder to remove if needed. I think you would also need to remove the lights as those sort of glues are usually fairly runny.
I'm only learning as i go so would love to hear what others have used yo keep them in place.

Hey Booty :first:

I think that you are right with what glue to use just incase you have to replace one of the panels. Looks like silicone for me too!

Thanks

Skip

Reactions: hardexpanda

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
Hi Boots sorry about the delay with pics of strip light but cant seem to download pictures.If its of some help I picked the strip light from BRIGHTLIGHTSAUTOPARTS on ebay, item title 30smd slim design lamp.This light is great,makes the whole bench useable.The blue light I mounted above the step came from TECH-ADVANTAGE also on ebay,title blue led cabin courtesy light.You can order this light with a choice of cover colors(black,white or chrome I think,just ask).This light emits enough light to be not distracting but enables Us to walk around,rifle thru the fridge or go to the loo without using main lights and disturbing others.

grinner914

Aug 3, 2011
Bacchus Marsh VIC
Hi Jason
Did you use the double sided tape or did you glue them in? That current meter looks like a handy piece of kit and handles up to 20amp!
Shane

I have just used the supplied double sided tape, but hasn't really been long enough yet to see if it lasts.

On my Eagle, I used some LED's from dealextreme, and the tape did eventually let go. But these ebay LED's seem to have a bit thicker tape, so hopefully will last a bit longer.

I also noticed with my Ebay LED's that some have a warm white light, while others have a bright "blueish" white light, this is in the same delivery batch.

Jason

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
I have just converted one of my main cabin lights so it can also be used as a night light as well. Parts needed were
2 X 5mm red led's
1 X 1k .25w resistor
2 X 5mm led holders
1 X on-off-on switch

I got the switch from here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-ROCKE...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c2692f07

I couldn't find a white one like the original but black looks ok. The other parts I had lying around but they can be bought from Jaycar etc. a Picture of the finished lamp is below. By hooking the 2 led's in series and using a 1k resistor I was able to get good light coverage and a current draw of only 8ma. so the light can be left on without fear of draining the battery.
redled1.jpg

Reactions: Watchmymuvie