Coast Runners Outback Expanda 14.44.2

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
van1.jpg
Here's the mobile palace people.

Photos taken the day I picked up and purchased the annexe.

Just enough room for my 2 giant teenage sons to crash out on their 7 foot long folding stretcher beds.

Parked at a rest stop at Kiama and set it up. Had to laugh at all the strange looks I was getting setting the van and annexe up at a rest stop.

See attached pics.

photo-33.JPGphoto-11.JPGphoto-32.JPGphoto-27.JPGphoto-27.JPG

Last edited:

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Absolutely. If I wasn`t such a nerd I would have been embarrass. I know my wife will be embarrest when I tell her I set the van and annexe up at the local rest stop. Not enough room at home.
By the way, I had the bed end covers made up also.
All tied down when the heavy rain sets in.
Also rolled up sides and pegged out rear to get some air through when the weathers good.
I find these better than the privacy screens as they still don`t stop the rain. This way I wont have anything resting against wet canvas.
No more wet bedding.
photo-38.JPGphoto-39.JPGphoto-40.JPG

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
One of my Favourite Mods

I installed a second 12 Volt Socket under the front near my draw bar, nice and close to my jerry can.
Using the "already installed tv antenna pole" I attach my portable 12 Volt shower head.
Using my jerry can for water {heated by the sun all day} I drop the shower pump in.
I plug my shower into the 12 volt outlet for "shower power"
Put my shower tent beside the van and wash away.
I don`t even have to remove the jerry can from the draw bar.
20 Litres of water seems to last days if I limit shower time.

photo-45.JPGphoto-46.JPGphoto-47.JPG

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Here is another favourite mod of mine. THE TOWEL RAIL.

{Stainless steel rail riveted on with aluminium rivets}

Very handy and simple to install. Great for weekend trips.

I know I`m doubling up here people.

I`m just trying to get all my main pics of mods and other experiences here on the one thread. This way I can tell others to go to a certain page in "My Expanda Files" to see my mods and stories.

towel rail.jpg

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Today I didn`t mow the lawn, wash the car or even fix the gate that needs repairing. All that got put aside so I could fix my 12 volt water pump in the Expanda.

I already had this pump installed before I bought the van but it never seemed to draw any water for more than a few seconds.

View attachment 10417

I`d use the hand pump to prime it but it always lost pressure within a few seconds.

I wasn`t sure whether there was a leak in the water line or whether the pump was faulty. As mentioned earlier it was installed into the same line as the manual hand pump, which makes sense to me as I can prime it with a couple of pumps.

The hand pump is situated above the electric pump.

I took the tube below the electric pump off, and placed a large cup of water at the intake, flicked the switch and saw water pass through to the tap. This showed me that there was nothing wrong with the pump, and my problem was probably an air leak somewhere in the line.

My next move was to refit the hose back onto the electric pump intake. Before doing this I wrapped a little plumbers tape around the pump end, just to get a good seal. I slid the plastic hose back over the pump intake and then fastened a hose clamp over the tube tightening with a flat screw driver.

Before moving on to the next step I just primed the pump by 2 or 3 pumps with the hand pump and then turned the switch on.

Guess what? WATER BEGAN POURING OUT OF THE TAP CONTINUOUSLY.

I thought I had a few more processes to go through looking for a split or kinked hose but the air leak was at the base of the pump.

So now I have flowing water at the press of a button. No more twenty manual pumps to get a glass of water.

WOOOHOOOOOO!

By the way, the pump is only small in size but does the job well. It sits in the cupboard in front of the cutlery draws under the sink. It doesn`t interfere with the opening and closing of these draws either.

I found the picture above on ebay by searching "12v inline water pump".

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Always great when you have a win like that.:D

Now you will have time to mow the lawn and wash the car, after standing back and admiring your handy work.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
If anyone else is thinking about installing a 12 volt water pump, here's some pics below that may make a bit more sense than my instructions.

1. The 12 Volt Pump
pump.jpg

2. A picture with both pumps in view. The top pump is the manual hand pump which sits immediately below the sink. The lower pump {white} is the 12 volt pump. Both on the same line.
2pumps.jpg

3. The on/ off switch installed on the cupboard in front of the sink.
switch.jpg

4. Finally, clean running drinking water continuously pouring out of the tap.
tap.jpg

WOOOHOOOO!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Looking good CR.
And I don't know if you have loaded the pics incorrectly or not.
Because if you click on any of them the pic right themselves again.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
{Stainless steel rail riveted on with aluminium rivets}

View attachment 10393

Hey CR love the towel rail. Just a point for long term, stainless and aluminium don't play together well mate just ask any poor sole with a tinny. If you must use them you should isolate them with a product like duralac. I would suggest stainless rivets would be best.

Reactions: Coastrunner