LEDs

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Geez Old Bootsy u r a wealth of information mate Very well done & good to hear . I only hope my new 18.57-8 comes with leds otherwise I will be giving u the list of lights on it for u to do some homework old son. Cheers again. I am definently not electrical minded & once again have seen the light of some extremely very useful info here.

Cheers,
Doggy.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Well I now have a solar panel so i needed a way to use some of this free energy so i picked up a few of the narva interior lights, converted them to leds and am now using them for lighting in our communal kitchen when we camp with friends. We have just returned from a week off grid at Somerset and Borumba dams and the lights worked really well, so no more gas lights for me. Got the lights from here http://www.joesshed.com.au/ and used the 36 led panels. The lights plug into the expanda's external 12v socket.

I used two double lights for the main lighting
and secured them with velcro straps
IMG_4390.JPG

I used one single with clips for the cooking area
IMG_4391.JPG

Here's what it looks like at night
IMG_4096.jpg

Reactions: Coastrunner

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Boots, looks like a great set up, i love reading your posts!

I got some LEDs off fleabay same as those listed on your first page (20 SMD LED) to replace the interior lights in my Patrol. For the first week they worked great and i was signing their praises to everyone, but after a few weeks of use they have started to flicker. Its really annoying. At just over $3 each i purchased a few backups and they all seem to do it (flicker after a week of use).

I am in no way a electical expert, but was hoping you may have an explanation (maybe besides me purchasing a crap product of the internet:becky:)

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your leds Moto maybe you got the disco version. :) I have not had any problems with the ones i have installed so far and gave them a good workout in the week i was away. they all were on for several hours each night as i was testing to see the effect it has on the battery , which was minimal by the way. I haven't used the 20 led panels so it might just be those that are playing up. I suspect they are probably a bit sensitive to the voltage available to them in your patrol, probably 14 -14.5 volts when the engine is going. To test if that is it try the leds on a 9v battery like is used in tv remotes etc. and see if they work without flashing. if that seems to work you can use a resistor or small voltage regulator to cut back the voltage. If you can measure the current draw of the panel i can work out what size resistor will be needed.

Reactions: Moto Moto

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Well I finally got around to replacing the MR11 lights in the range hood. I have had these for a while but just keep forgetting to fit them. All up it took about 15 min and was very simple to do, just remove the six screws that hold the panel in place and it will drop down to give access. You may like to have an extra person there just to help hold the panel while you remove the screws. Be careful while tightening the screws that hold the bulbs in place as they are a very loose fit, just nip them up till they are firm. The end result is very good, I would say even better than the halogen bulbs. The light is much more even spread with the leds and every bit as bright. The original links i used at the start of this thread are getting a bit old now so may not work but if you just do an ebay search for "MR11 led" you will find plenty of hits. they shouldn't cost you any more than $3 each delivered.

IMG_1.jpg IMG_2.jpg IMG_3.jpg

IMG_4.jpg IMG_5.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well I finally got around to replacing the MR11 lights in the range hood. I have had these for a while but just keep forgetting to fit them. All up it took about 15 min and was very simple to do, just remove the six screws that hold the panel in place and it will drop down to give access. You may like to have an extra person there just to help hold the panel while you remove the screws. Be careful while tightening the screws that hold the bulbs in place as they are a very loose fit, just nip them up till they are firm. The end result is very good, I would say even better than the halogen bulbs. The light is much more even spread with the leds and every bit as bright. The original links i used at the start of this thread are getting a bit old now so may not work but if you just do an ebay search for "MR11 led" you will find plenty of hits. they shouldn't cost you any more than $3 each delivered.

Hey Boots great post, I searched MR11 and came up with a seller but he has this posted.

"For this item, Please don't used on the Halogen's transformeras the Current is too high. (Only support LED transformer)."

Edit do they use a transformer or direct from the setec transformer/charger?

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Hey Boots great post, I searched MR11 and came up with a seller but he has this posted.

"For this item, Please don't used on the Halogen's transformeras the Current is too high. (Only support LED transformer)."

Edit do they use a transformer or direct from the setec transformer/charger?

Any 12v MR11 bulb will be ok. the power comes direct from the battery/setec so no transformers to worry about. The ones i used were similar to these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MR11-12-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f149fdc1f and they look great. They use SMD (Surface Mount Device) Leds which i think look better than the normal ones. I have bought items from this seller before and found them reliable.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Boots, I ordered two, will do the mod before I go away as I plan on being of power for a few days.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
do the new jayco's still not come with leds.

It's amazing that they're still not fitting them... ( although the outside annexe light for me was led -a nice surprise. )

I think it cost like $15 to fit out the entire caravan with LEDs, which are not only brighter but, but heaps more efficient.. For that money I would have thought Jayco would have been installing for the advertising alone.. Maybe they have a huge stock of the T10 globes to get through.. I would highly recommend the LEDs to everyone that hasn't upgraded yet.

Currently doing the red/white light install. Kids love the red light for bed time. Also lot easier at night on the eyes for the nappy changes.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Thanks boots,
Have just ordered some and will give the mod a go when they arrive hopefully before Easter.

You wont be disappointed, just remember to go easy on the screws that hold the lights in they are a loose fit so don't over tighten them. Hope you get them in time, items out of Asia can take a while to arrive sometimes. Most of the items i have got from that seller have arrived in around 10 days or so.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
You wont be disappointed, just remember to go easy on the screws that hold the lights in they are a loose fit so don't over tighten them. Hope you get them in time, items out of Asia can take a while to arrive sometimes. Most of the items i have got from that seller have arrived in around 10 days or so.

Hi guys.
I`ve just read this thread from front to back and am really impressed. I`ve just bought myself a second hand 14.4.2 Outback. I always wondered how much difference the power output was between the LEDs and regular lights. I never realised that the regular lights could drain my 100 amp battery so fast. I`ll be following your lead Boots. Thanks for posting all this info up.

One question. Do I look for LED lights that have a T10 connection? I`m presuming that these are the connection that have the two little pins that the regular lights are connected with????

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Hi guys.
I`ve just read this thread from front to back and am really impressed. I`ve just bought myself a second hand 14.4.2 Outback. I always wondered how much difference the power output was between the LEDs and regular lights. I never realised that the regular lights could drain my 100 amp battery so fast. I`ll be following your lead Boots. Thanks for posting all this info up.

One question. Do I look for LED lights that have a T10 connection? I`m presuming that these are the connection that have the two little pins that the regular lights are connected with????

Hi Coastrunner
Yes the power savings are worth it. I'm not sure how long Jayco have been using the interior lights that are in my 14, but i suspect they have been the standard fit for some time. If yours look the same as in the pics i posted earlier then yes you just need to get led replacements that will fit into the t10 socket. This removes the need to make time consuming cut and join modifications. The current link to the ones i used is here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Inte...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4601a100c3

SKU014287_1.jpg

As you can see from the picture they come with a few adaptors to suit different types of lights. The t10 adaptor supplied with them is a good fit but a little finicky to get right. After you have done the first one the rest will be a breeze. Note that they are polarity sensitive so will only work if plugged in the right way round. You will not damage the light if plugged in the wrong way so if it won't work just swap it around.

Reactions: Coastrunner