Dual Cab Chassis, Broken...Baw Haw..Sob..

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Here's a point of contention.............GX vinyl floors...............GXL (+10k) carpet floors..............

Why the hell can't you get an upper model car with vinyl floors???.....Do all people with more money have kids that aren't like mine and: dribble, drop, and throw up???

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Why can't you buy upper spec Rangers/Hi-Lux's/BT50's/D-Max's/etc as just a cab-chassis if you want to have a custom made canopy for the rear. They force you to buy the tub that has little resale potential when it should be a "delete" option.

Reactions: Dean81 and Drover

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Here's a point of contention.............GX vinyl floors...............GXL (+10k) carpet floors..............

Why the hell can't you get an upper model car with vinyl floors???.....Do all people with more money have kids that aren't like mine and: dribble, drop, and throw up???
Should have done what we did. Found out what caused kids after the first one and stopped it.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Here we go again........Its on an insurance assessors desk again....Give us another couple days to decide......In six weeks we've booked holidays in the van and probably wont have a car to get there.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
ahhhhhhhhhhhh
my bad.........
apoligies @Dean Anderson & @achjimmy

it didnt even occur to me the Ranger was a leafy

changes everything

I have a thing for coil suspension - leaves.. they are for tree's and plants.............

what about me col.... :) I need a hug too...

goes without saying mate...........:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I dont know why I thought they were coils on the Rangers - we have about 8 of them at work, and I truly never noticed the leafs

had my head under one today, and the boss was looking at me strange like as well............

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Yep. The Ranger ia a leafy rear end I even questioned my decision the other day when I backed it up to my van that is up the nature strip and it was doing Wheelies.
I definitely didn't have that problem with the old 80's landcruiser.
Haven't as yet towed the van almost done the 3 000k's. And still adding bits for caravan.
Tyical insurance companies dont want to name them but I found out after two weeks my new Ranger wasn't even insured even though I had the paperwork and politics they just forgot to process
The new policy.
You can now guess I am no longer with that company

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Can't imagine why you'd change insurance companies.

Not there when you need them and argumentative when you do.

Just as well you discovered it.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Brand new car thinking you done everything right and then finding out some else has done the wrong thing .
I would have to start a new thread on the story as this is deans thread I was just saying I hope thry do the right thing by Dean and don't muck him around.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Here we go again. Have I said that before?. A local panel beater as chosen by the insurance company says they need to replace the chassis and gives a quote for such. (They haven't got the technology to repair).

The receptionist of course says it's MY chosen repairer...Nope...your decision, I really don't give a s--t. I just want it fixed or a car. I didn't say that I just thought it.

Car gets uplifted 400km for a different repairers opinion.

They say it cant be repaired (directly to me) and at one stage IC agrees.

It goes up to the next level, now IC is not sure.

IC says they are unsure of repairing (hope the contradiction is starting to confuse you as it does me)..

They say they are looking at the cost of replacing chassis.

But?

We have been in contact with your repairers. They have told us they cant repair it.

Hey, that's what the original quote stated, how much to replace the chassis.

Now its going to take another three days to find out if Ford can supply a chassis and restamp its serial number or something? WTF?

Last edited:

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Maybe I should ring Ford tomorrow and ask about supply of a chassis. Otherwise insurance will probably say they need to order one from Thailand.

I just heard of a relatives 4 week delay for writeoff assessment for a $4500 payout. Same insurance company.

I believe it's all about data/statistics. Not just the claim. The delay in the claim. Big money and something to put on the CV if your an assessor.

Last edited:

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
I saw on facebook someone with a blue twin cab and bent chassis not sure the brand but same thing @Dean Anderson sounds like they have not correctly calculated the bending moment of a steel beam of x length with x weight on the back and if using air bags providing an upwards force i would have thought that this would have supported the weight of the chassis someone is using cheap thickness of steel to save money also Ford leaving Australiado they really care about production

Reactions: Holden_man

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
From what I've seen all dual cabs are a bit weak in the chassis. They all go from about 6inch under the cab to 4 inch at the back. The back has also got a lot of bends in it to allow leaf springs to fit. It's a weak spot.

The Ranger has: max towball 350kg, towing 3500kg GVM 3200kg, kerb weight 2014kg +Al tray 100kg +passengers 200kg +fuel 50kg+ bullbar 100kg+ actual towball weight 210kg+ Al toolboxes 70kg. There is no way in the world I had 500kg of stuff on the back of the ute (I'd say 200kg).

The warranty says its void if the vehicle is used on "obviously unsuitable terrain", not used on "suitable roads and terrain"

Get this out of the Ford Warranty.
"the vehicle has not been specifically designed for towing"

Looking at the Ford adds "TOTAL CAPABILITY", "DESIGNED FOR PURPOSE", "3 1/2 TON TOWING''

Can you spot the difference between the adds and the warranty policy?

If it's not a warranty issue I'd say it's false and misleading advertising and the vehicle isn't fit for purpose as stated under the fair trading act.

All that aside. Would I take on Ford? Nope. Would my insurance company take on Ford? I dunno, that's what might be happening at the moment?

Even though it could be warranty, I still had a collision with several unexpected piles of dirt/holes.

On the bright side...If Suncorp replaces the chassis, the replacement chassis has a Suncorp warranty for the life of the vehicle (not just the Ford 3 years). That has to be a bonus...

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
@Dean Anderson the difference between warranty blurb and advertised is pretty much standard practice in automotive and everything else! Does highlight how stupid ford is to make it that blatant.

For me I would rather have the chassis repaired than replaced. It'll be stronger and more fit for purpose, and less disruption than a replacement of the same. I would be nervous about who and how all the chassis replacement is done? Ie does the 1st year apprentice get a gig ?!?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey @Dean Anderson , when the tow bar ripped the arse out of my Jeep, SX Toowoomba did a good fix on it for me, insurance wouldn't touch it, wear and tear they said..........................hope it all turns out okay, if you later decide to burn it, my paddock needs a burn off of the lantana.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Lattest update.

Insurance is checking that a new chassis is available in Melbourne and if so that is being freighted to Toowoomba and the chassis is then being replaced, which should take between two to three weeks at worst (hopefully) after delivery of chassis ( hopefully they don't have to get one from Thailand). Bit of rigmarole to change VIN but generally an easy process.

I think the Ford Ranger forum didn't like my opinion about warranty and advertising. Tried to search within the forum but I think they have pulled the entire discussion due to heated points of view.....And probably because of the truth.... Sort of like car rascism in my opinion.

In comparison...I'd like to say something that I hope does not offend any expanda owners but is what I believe lots of us think...

Jayco Expandas generally have a few warranty issues when they get delivered....Expandas generally have a few problems that annoy the hell out of owners......Expanda owners know that they have not bought the theoretically best or most expensive caravan on the market................Expanda owners know that at times the product is dissapointing or appears poorly designed....

But you know what...........Expanda owners are big enough people to know that:
A) They have bought the best product for the price.
B) The little problems are easily fixed with a bit of consultation with either Jayco or forum members.
C) Owning the vehicle is about living the vehicle.
D) I love my Expanda,and nothing else compares.
E) don't be rude happens, lets discuss it and get over it (hiding it and pretending isn't good).

I dunno..........

There is something about the highs and lows in the Expandas Downunder forum........how they are discussed without judgement....... and how we all love discussing both high and low.....and how we all climb out the other side of the pond and say....hell yeah lets go camping...who cares.

Gotta love my Expanda,..... but never as much as my kids do, and they are the world.