Dual Cab Chassis, Broken...Baw Haw..Sob..

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I'll post the status as it goes...............
I'm insured with Suncorp if anyone is interested.

I'm remote (400km from Toowoomba).
Report the incident Friday. Told that I would be contacted mid next week by a rep...It happened on the Thursday arvo.

Told to go to the local panel beater that can't align a chassis and he says he can't do the job. I ring Suncorp again from home to fill them in and they send me back to the local panel beater to take photos and quote the job (he can only replace chassis cause he doesn't have the required equipment to get it back to spec).....

Now I'm waiting up to 6 days (as stated by Suncorp) for an assessor to decide what to do.
Dean, are you the same person who posted a bit on the Ranger Forum? I can't understand some of the attitudes on that Forum where unlike here they can get quite nasty if pictures aren't posted. Here it's friendly banter, I hope.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Hey Phil It's all we catch out here.

Is it a coincidence that the chassis holes are where the bends are? On the driver side almost a third of the chassis isn't there on both sides.

Is this a designed crumple point for rear crash impact or has it been punched out to allow the chassis to be formed in the factory without crumpling at the chassis change in direction, or is it just a hole to allow a robot to pick up the chassis when manufacturing? I dunno....but it's definitely the weakest point.

Attachments

• Chassis Bend Position.jpg
    Chassis Bend Position.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 328

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Hi Dean, I guess that you are the same person then as I just saw these pictures posted on the Ranger Forum. I was just there and about to reply when I saw your pictures. Might have been good to have posted the side on pic as well. It's a shame about some of the responses you had but this issue some there have with "if there's no pictures, then it didn't happen" gets taken too far sometimes.

I have no idea as to chassis strength but I am concerned about it possibly happening to ours as well. I don't have airbags but do have an extra leaf fitted and Bilstein shocks. Particularly on some South Aussie roads the undulations have had me worried at times as to possibilities and I will be carrying out more frequent inspections to catch it early if it does happen.

I do hope it works out well for you, and soon.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I'll post the status as it goes...............
I'm insured with Suncorp if anyone is interested.

I'm remote (400km from Toowoomba).
Report the incident Friday. Told that I would be contacted mid next week by a rep...It happened on the Thursday arvo.

Told to go to the local panel beater that can't align a chassis and he says he can't do the job. I ring Suncorp again from home to fill them in and they send me back to the local panel beater to take photos and quote the job (he can only replace chassis cause he doesn't have the required equipment to get it back to spec).....

Now I'm waiting up to 6 days (as stated by Suncorp) for an assessor to decide what to do.

Dean a replacement chasiss would almost grantee a write off I would think? Is that what you want? If so cool otherwise if you want it fixed and improved why don't you call creative conversions and have a chat?

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
All up to the insurance company at the moment. Doesn't worry me whatever they decide. A properly straightened and fish plated repair would probably be my preference cause it would then be stronger than the original. I just hope it's done before I move house in 8 weeks.

There is no option other than upgrading the suspension on a Ranger if you want to use it for anything but a sedan. The factory suspension is built for a test drive......doesn't this ride nice...isn't it smooth...blah blah blah....Put any load in it and the R's is down.. I had the 300-600kg ARB shocks and springs fitted... Ride was still good enough without jerking the back out.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I think it was about 5k for a chassis/wheelbase extension, maybe you could throw some extra cash in to the repair and have the wheels pushed right back like all the USA pickups. Its a pain in the #ss how they make all our utes with a short wheel base.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Haven't used it since I changed from the Prado to the Ranger. Ranger drives a lot better. Am now going to start using after all is fixed. It's a pain in the R's because it hangs so low (especially for some free camping sights). Will take the original Ford tow shank for those cases where I need the extra clearance. Was great not to have to worry about the bars, but in retrospect an extra 5 minutes here and there is better than my present dramas. The WDH lowers clearance by at least 100mm.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Gawd.....moving house and dealing with this.

I wish you well and hope both go fine.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Little update on the dramas.................
Insurance has not made a decision yet, 2 weeks latter.......
It's probably a remote location thing.
So don't expect time to move fast if something happens woop-woop in this grand country of ours.
ANCAP rating is probably a problem.....They have to ensure the car is returned to the same safety standard.
I have to ring back mid next week to get more info.

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Three weeks latter and the car finally got uplifted to Toowoomba... Hopefully I only have to wait another couple days before I find out what's happening...A little birdie told me it's getting written off...Birdies are so unreliable and used to crap all over my car........So I'll wait to see what happens.

Dean81

Nov 18, 2012
Brisvegas, Qld
www.ausplay.net.au
Heh Dean. Long time no speak..

Just having a read, man What a stuff around. If you need a hand with anything let us know.. I've still got a few trucks kicking around, and it would be good to catch up.

Send me a message if you like.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Col the biggest issue with airbags on leaf sprung utes is they are causing a force /load whatever at a point on the chassis not designed to take it.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh
my bad.........
apoligies @Dean Anderson & @achjimmy

it didnt even occur to me the Ranger was a leafy

changes everything

I have a thing for coil suspension - leaves.. they are for tree's and plants.............

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
Hopefully will find out what the situation is tomorrow. If it gets repaired all is simple....If it gets written off and we get a payout it starts getting complicated.

What car next? How much more?
Dual cab? (Love the Ranger and I believe they are the best dual cab). After this event I think I'll steer away from dual cabs, internet research scares me on chassis strength of all makes and models.

Landcruiser 200 series??? $83 for a GX & $93 for a GLX. Big step up from the Ranger.

I've waisted a bit of money on cars over the years and the next one if I get a new one is going to have to last until my kids leave high school (12 years). Buying extras all the time is a killer.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
If money permitted (read as WIFE) I'd have a twin cab Toyota, with an auto conversion and rear end kit that fixes track width issue and makes it coil sprung. Now where's that winning Lotto ticket?

Reactions: dagree