16' Series Brand Spanking New 16.49-3 OB

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
So this is warranty issue No. 1 - RHS Front Lid clip. The two screws at the bottom pulled out when clipping the lid closed, and it wasn't even tight!!!
image.jpg

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
I spotted you towing your Expanda on Thursday arvo :p
Yeah I guess we're pretty easy to spot on the road now :)
She's a sexy beast alright!
@cruza driver - How did it look to be riding?
After doing a few hundred K's on varying road surfaces and conditions, I'm definitely going to put some air bags under the Prado. Not that it feels unsafe at all as-is, but just to take some of the wallow out of it.

Last edited:

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Nice looking van. A good thing knocking the original van back, you now have a newer model with the latest decals. That's a good thing. Ashame about the roof clip. I'm interested to see how they repair that. I know the screws go into timber behind the fibreglass sheet. Not sure if they'd pack the timber with something, put larger screws in or replace the timber. Let us know how you go there bud.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Nice looking van. A good thing knocking the original van back, you now have a newer model with the latest decals. That's a good thing. Ashame about the roof clip. I'm interested to see how they repair that. I know the screws go into timber behind the fibreglass sheet. Not sure if they'd pack the timber with something, put larger screws in or replace the timber. Let us know how you go there bud.
I will be interested to see the fix too, not sure when I'll get a chance to take it back though. My temp fix in the dark the other night was -
1. Remove bottom screws
2. Stuff holes with matchsticks
3. Dab of silicon on holes
4. Put screws back in
5. Loosen clamp so it's only just catching

Seems to have done the trick so far. Looking a where the clamp is mounted, I'd say if I drilled right through it would come out in the overhead storage above the seat. In the worst eventuality, that's what I'd do - cup head bolts with big plate on inside and some nylock nuts.
Cheers,
Paul

Reactions: Coastrunner

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi S&P,

I know I'm a bit late but welcome, just been reading and good to hear you finally have your van, looks great too! Sorry to hear about the roof clip but sounds like you have things covered until it can be permanently fixed. Pics of the van look awesome, look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Dave

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
So the first official mod is the mounting of the aluminum box on the draw bar. This is the box I had made up -
image.jpg

No lid, just a drawer at each end. Internally wide enough to fit a Weber Q220 on one side, and also tall enough to fit a Honda 2kVA genie on the other. All up bang on 2m long. There is an internal divider towards the middle with is fully sealed to keep the weber smell off the genset :)
The spare wheel is being relocated to the rear on a winder. Will post some progress pics soon.
Cheers.
Paul

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Does it have runners on the inside too?
Yep, 100kg rated runners on the inside. Front and rear punched vents on the genset/chainsaw/fuel side to let the fumes out.
Having drawers makes the entire box wider (now 585mm) than my original design but there is still room to mount the gas bottles in front. Major benefit of the extended A-Frame.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm mounting the box as I send this!

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
If you need to use Load Levelers, I found that Trojan do a shorter version - Repco also sell them under their brand name! My van didn't have the extended draw bar, and I did put a ali box on the front which houses the gas bottles plus hoses etc... This meant I couln't use the levelers I already had as they were too long!