16' Series Brand Spanking New 16.49-3 OB

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
So from this angle you can't really tell the difference between this one (the wrong one) and the new one we've ordered as the replacement.
The only exterior differences when we take delivery will be the extended drawbar, and additional jockey wheel clamp on the inside of the drawbar.
These are the options we chose -
1. New 2014 16.49-3 Outback Expanda “Cafe Dinette Style”
2. Rollout Awning (standard item)
3. Truma Aventa Roof Mounted Air Conditioner
4. External Gas Bayonet
(standard item)
5. 100aH Auxillary Battery
6. 120 Watt Solar Panel
(this is upgraded from the 90W panel that was on the earlier model, but now standard)
7. Control Panel
8. RM2553 150 Litre Fridge
9. Microwave located above fridge
10. 300mm A-Frame Extension (new addition)
11. Gas Bottles to remain close to body with A-Frame Extension
(had to tell the factory something)
12. Additional Jockey Wheel Clamp inside A-Frame
13. Laminex Colour: AMARA MATTE
14. Backrest & Cushion Colour: KICKER PEWTER

We also requested they install a draw under the sink where the "soap dish" normally is, but they haven't confirmed that one yet.

They have sent us the floor plan/layout and we've checked and triple checked it and it's signed off.

First mods will be -
1. Remove spare wheel carrier and put spare under rear on Hilux chain winder
2. Mount aluminium box to drawbar to accommodate genie, chainsaw and maybe fuel and Weber Q (I'm thinking separate compartment for Weber, with slide out draw?)
3. Shift gas bottles forward to accommodate ali box
4. Make stone guard to go around all the above
5. Plumb in BEST water filter under sink
6. Install new drinking water tap
7. Install additional shocker protection
8. Silicon, silicon, silicon & more silicon to keep the red dust out (first big trip is from Melb==>SA==>Qld==>NSW==>Melb

I'm sure the list will grow.
Bring on Feb 22!

S&P

Last edited:

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I wonder if it could be ordered with the gas bottles moved forward (width of toolbox). No reason I can think of why it couldn't, other than spare wheel issues. May be worth asking. Then you wont have to alter the gas.

Looks a great combo. Sterling double power point outside is a very handy option/mod. Since doing our van, we use it all the time. If you have kids, outdoor shower is awesome for washing sand and dirt off. The VE/VF Ute spare wheel winder is another one to think of. It has a very clever wheel clamp "thingy". Bad luck on them ordering wrong van seating combo, up side is you get a newer van so resale will be better. Hope the dealer looked after you.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
I wonder if it could be ordered with the gas bottles moved forward (width of toolbox). No reason I can think of why it couldn't, other than spare wheel issues. May be worth asking. Then you wont have to alter the gas.

Looks a great combo. Sterling double power point outside is a very handy option/mod. Since doing our van, we use it all the time. If you have kids, outdoor shower is awesome for washing sand and dirt off. The VE/VF Ute spare wheel winder is another one to think of. It has a very clever wheel clamp "thingy". Bad luck on them ordering wrong van seating combo, up side is you get a newer van so resale will be better. Hope the dealer looked after you.
Thanks maccayak,
I did think to get the gas bottles moved forward, but I haven't chosen the ali box yet so don't know precisely where I'd want them. And I can say there's a better than even chance that I wouldn't be happy with where they put them anyway and I'd still end up moving them!
Cheers
S&P

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley

where is the best place to get spare wheel wind down mechanism,new or second hand, as I think this is my next mod after chrissy , then alloy box on the front

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Very Nice! You have ordered what we would have done if we had have found this site before we ordered ours! My biggest regret is not getting a bigger fridge.
Spare wheel up under the back is relatively easy just a bit of extra frame work welded underneath to support the winder Pics Gas bottle relocate here

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
where is the best place to get spare wheel wind down mechanism,new or second hand, as I think this is my next mod after chrissy , then alloy box on the front
I got mine at a 4WD wreckers but someone else suggested trying a business that fits LPG Gas tanks to cars as they might have a few newer ones removed from vehicles I tried everywhere but couldn't find new ones unless you want to buy new from a dealer $$$$$ or import a couple of hundred from China

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
I got mine at a 4WD wreckers but someone else suggested trying a business that fits LPG Gas tanks to cars as they might have a few newer ones removed from vehicles I tried everywhere but couldn't find new ones unless you want to buy new from a dealer $$$$$ or import a couple of hundred from China
thanks,I think I will start with a few of my local wreckers plus the mechanic I use fits lpg so might be worth asking him

Buzzard22

Dec 9, 2013
Melbourne
Welcome aboard S&P, from one newbie to another. We too are going on the big trip in the second half of 2014 for 3 months, can't afford longer than that off work unfortunately. S you talk about silicon everywhere, exactly where are you concentrating? We picked up our new van last Tuesday, probably same dealer as you, eastern suburbs Melbourne.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Welcome aboard S&P, from one newbie to another. We too are going on the big trip in the second half of 2014 for 3 months, can't afford longer than that off work unfortunately. S you talk about silicon everywhere, exactly where are you concentrating? We picked up our new van last Tuesday, probably same dealer as you, eastern suburbs Melbourne.
G'day Buzzard22,
BW Jayco is where ours was and is coming from. Aside from the stuff up, they've been great to deal with.
Re the silicon - From reading forum posts from members who've been through the outback it seems that when the expandas roll off the factory floor, there are still a few gaps in the joinery that need sealing, especially underneath.
Best option would be to wait for a nice dark night and then turn all the lights on inside and crawl around underneath with a tube of the black stuff and fill the gaps around the hoses, cables and anywhere you see the light shine through.

Hope your big trip goes smoothly, at least you should have a few good opportunities to test the new beastie out prior to get things bedded down.
Cheers,
S&P

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi All,
Just to set the record straight, the Jayco dealer did offer us the use of the van until our new one arrives, but we declined it for our own reasons.
And no, we weren't very calm earlier, but a few frothies later and the pain is beginning to dull.
P&S
Welcome @S&P. I would feel comfortable taking a van I didn't own either. Last thing I would like to be dealing with is a scratch on their van or something.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Welcome @S&P. I would feel comfortable taking a van I didn't own either. Last thing I would like to be dealing with is a scratch on their van or something.
It wasn't really a hard decision for us to leave it with the dealer. We were planning a few small trips but weren't booked anywhere (we're free-campers), and we were planning to use the time between pickup and our planned big trip in March to do some mods.
It wasn't like we were planning to trash the van, and the dealer did day that we could treat it as our own anyway but it's not the same :(
So collecting the new van will certainly put a hurry up on my mods, it's not the end of the world.
At one point I said to the dealer that by us not taking the van they could still sell it as new and make a bit more coin, to which they emphatically said that we shouldn't be worried about them losing money, they just want us to be happy.
Cheers,
Paul

Reactions: cruza driver

Buzzard22

Dec 9, 2013
Melbourne
G'day Buzzard22,
BW Jayco is where ours was and is coming from. Aside from the stuff up, they've been great to deal with.
Re the silicon - From reading forum posts from members who've been through the outback it seems that when the expandas roll off the factory floor, there are still a few gaps in the joinery that need sealing, especially underneath.
Best option would be to wait for a nice dark night and then turn all the lights on inside and crawl around underneath with a tube of the black stuff and fill the gaps around the hoses, cables and anywhere you see the light shine through.

Hope your big trip goes smoothly, at least you should have a few good opportunities to test the new beastie out prior to get things bedded down.
Cheers,
S&P
Great tip S&P, I'll try it shortly, under the van at night is taking my obsession to a whole new level! I see you drive a Prado, I've got the old 90 series and want to upgrade in the future, just worried about the weight, GVM, towball etc etc. how have you found yours? Our new van is nearly 2000 kegs, unloaded, I feel like I'm kind of forced to consider the LC 200 or disco 4.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
So this is what I did this weekend… Slowly getting it ready for travelling…
I put the Warn XD9000 and Hella Rallye 2000s onto/into the bulbar of the Prado. I took these off my 2010 Hilux before I sold it - had the Hellas for a lifetime, no way they were going with the vehicle!
Fitting the winch was a far sight easier to getting it into the ARB bar on the Prado than it was getting it out of the ARB bar on the 'lux!
The driving lights are wired up through a switch from ABR Sidewinder (no affilation) that fits perfectly into the original dash panels, even lights up with the dash lights.

Cheers,
S&P

PS - The weekend efforts did not extend to washing either vehicle :)

Attachments

• Prado_Winch.jpg
    Prado_Winch.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 229

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
Factory won't move the gas bottles foward at any price. I wanted the same thing done with 17.56-2 outback we have ordered.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
The only downside I can see at present is the fact that the external hatch doors are white and we were told the 2014 models are black to match the black checker plate.
Apparently the black ones are only a black coating, not black plastic and the factory is getting lots of returns because they look terrible once peppered with stone chips.
I've not seen it in the flesh, but here's a photo the dealer sent though taken yesterday arvo...
image.jpg