16' Series Brand Spanking New 16.49-3 OB

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey @S&P and @Glen Bundesen
Great looking van S&P and great model too, but i might be bias.. :bounce:

If you need to use Load Levelers, I found that Trojan do a shorter version - Repco also sell them under their brand name! My van didn't have the extended draw bar, and I did put a ali box on the front which houses the gas bottles plus hoses etc... This meant I couln't use the levelers I already had as they were too long!

I think the repco ones have a 160kg ball weight? Do you know what your ball weight is with your mods? Mine is plated at 172kgs.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Because I was putting the big box on the front, the first mod had to be moving the spare wheel to the rear.
I opted to put it under the rear of the van rather than on the rear bumper.
I used a secondhand Hilux wheel winder with a frame I fabricated from some heavy section bar, some angle and a couple of pieces of timber I used to ensure the wheel was flat under the van.
Rather than having a long winder handle and needing to find the winder every time, I put a permanent extension in, and welded 19mm nut on the end so I can use the ALKO jack winder for it too.
I did shorten the ALKO jack handle a bit too.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I just noticed that the bottom pic is upside down. I guess that's what happens when you hold your phone upside down!
Edit - funny thing is, the pic isn't upside down when I look at the post on my computer, but is when I look at it in my phone. Go figure.

Last edited:

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Hey @S&P and @Glen Bundesen
Great looking van S&P and great model too, but i might be bias.. :bounce:

I think the repco ones have a 160kg ball weight? Do you know what your ball weight is with your mods? Mine is plated at 172kgs.
I did get it weighed - was about 190 kg, but have since moved the spare tyre to a new back bumper as well as removed the internal table as we now use a lite weight folding table... Will weigh the ball weight some time next week as we are away for a few days.

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
So the box is all fitted up, glass bottles relocated a little further forward and all plumbed in and tested for leaks (of which there were none!). I didn't have to extend the main gas line and actually there was enough left in it to push it over to the inside of the A-frame and put some saddles on.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: 17triton and skippy

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
Box looks great. That what I am hoping to do when our van arrives. Can they do it in black checker plate?

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
...Can they do it in black checker plate?
I did think about black checker plate and opted not to get it. It's only anodized so would show the stone chips pretty well I think. Given that my box is pretty deep front to back I don't have room for a traditional stone guard, I think standard Ali is fine. I may decide on a stone stomper kind if setup later but will see how it goes.
They would/could do it if you wanted though - all comes down to the filthy lucre :)
Cheers,
Paul

PS - I hope you've got the extended a-frame, or things will be a bit tight!

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
I used a ali box with drawers on top which some camper trailers use.
Dropped it down over the draw bar and have the 2 x 9kg gas bottles in it plus the hoses and a 3 step ladder. Small bits and pieces are in the drawers which I can also access from the top. 2014-01-15-663.jpg The back cut away allows the top lid to open up and the bed doesn't touch the lid when down. All functions well and to remove some of the weight off the draw bar, I moved the spare to the rear of the van and also use short Trojan load levellers.

Reactions: barney120 and Ren77

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
The first internal mod is now complete. I've installed a 12v outlet (cigarette lighter type), and duel USB socket.
Very easy install from where I put them,I was able to use the hidden cavity at the rear if the wardrobe.
Drilled the 2 holes first, then from the hot water service cupboard, I just fed a bit of yellow-tongue up to them and pulled the cables back and fed them through to the battery compartment.
Wired in with a couple of inline fuses. Job done in about 30mins.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Cheers,
Paul

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
So we're off on the adventure. A few days in and we've found ourselves at Robe SA. Not a great deal of free camping in Robe, so we ended up at the Sea Vu c/p. good amenities and a great view from our powered site.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The fishing however, was terrible.
Luckily we're not relying on me for food!

Reactions: relgate and mccrlc