16' Series ideas for 16.49-3B

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Hi everyone, im new to this forum, but have been reading plenty of posts, trying to get a few ideas together. I have a Jayco Flamingo Outback ST and am looking at upgrading to a expanda 16.49-3B. I like the two double bed layout of the camper, just need it to be easier for over night stops, road side lunch breaks, extra storage and purely ease of set up. I did look at a Discovery 17.55-4 and 17.55-5 but just need the extra bedding offered in the expanda. So far im keen on a 16.49-3B outback with all the usual outback features, roll out awing, delete the a/c as I do too much free camping to need it, extra lighting on both sides, extra power points under dinette, BBQ provision as Im looking at getting a baby Q rather than the Jayco item this time, draw bar extension and external shower. Any ideas would be great as I havent ordered the van yet, but im keen to sign away and get the ball rolling

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Hi mate. Welcome and all the best with the purchase. Maybe an extra water tank and gas bottle if you free camp. My two bob.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hi mate. Welcome and all the best with the purchase. Maybe an extra water tank and gas bottle if you free camp. My two bob.
The outback will come with 2 tanks and the extra gas bottle because of the shower model.

And welcome to the forum GUlewis, it looks like you have thought of most things but maybe also anderson plug wiring and a battery and water tank monitor.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
welcome to the forum, looks as if you've got it sorted from all the reading done. there are plenty of vans for sale now that most have returned from their summer trip.
grab yourself a bargain and get out in it by easter. as easter comes the roads are flooded with vans then they all get stored away for the cooler months, till daylight saving starts up again.

above suggestion are the way to go also. cheers pace.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum, GUlewis. It seems you have most of your options selected, just make sure you get a decent size battery and probably solar, either fixed or portable. I prefer thr portable as it allows me to park in shade and position the panels anywhere there is sunlight.

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
If you don't plan on having the van for a long time you may want to reconsider scrapping the air for resale purposes... Otherwise wind up antenna???

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I have put down for two picnic tables, solar provision and maybe I'll get them to put the 120w panel in. What I've got planned to do myself is Anderson plug with 4B&S cable, reposition the batteries, front tool box and reposition the spare. I'm thinking of making a swing down tyre carrier for the spare or depending on clearance, maybe look at adapting a hilux spare wheel carrier under the rear of the 'panda. Any thoughts on doing a spring over on the single axle outbacks? Would it be ridiculously high?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Any thoughts on doing a spring over on the single axle outbacks? Would it be ridiculously high?

I have a standard OB with single axle and can only just reach the clips for the pop top as is. If I swapped the axle I would have to use a step to ondo and do them up again. I already have to do this if the ground is not level.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
A step of some sort is probably a worthwhile investment in safety and convenience. I got an aluminium platform one that doubles as a bench seat (add a cushion) and cost about $60.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi GULewis Welcome to the forum The only thing I regret not getting was a bigger fridge in my 16:49:3 B

I have fitted a windup spare wheel carrier under the back of mine relatively simple to do if you're handy with a welder

IMG_0707.JPG IMG_0708.jpg IMG_0709.JPG

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Just finished modifying ours, wanted to keep it at the front for weight distribution. Bit of a fiddle around due to the diesel fuel tank bolted to the jerry can holder but worked out good in the end.
image.jpg

Reactions: Pace

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Thanks for your ideas guys, I'm considering putting a tool box of some kind on the front and I reckon having the spare tyre off set a bit of the ball weight is a good thing as I reckon my flamingo would of been around 200kg, couldn't even lift it so I want to address this better with the new van. It's funny you mentioned about the bigger fridge captain Gadget , I'd prefer the smaller unit as you get more bench space plus I have an 80L weaco in the patrol. How does everyone find the inner spring mattresses on these vans? Probably been covered loads of times but I need a bit of feed back. Cheers.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Hi,

Capt gadgets done a great job on the spare wheel mount, looks neat.

I reckon you could weld a nut on the winder and use your winder handle from your jacks.