Discovery 2013 Discovery 17.55-5SH OB - BigSkiddy

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Actually @fishinglizard I think it's only 3 points, all I know is my neighbour got done when demerit points was on and that's what he got.....maybe that's the penalty at all times!

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I thought double points where only on speeding, seat belt, phone use, not accross the board for everything.

Did you ask for the long cupboard doors between fridge and shower? I hav 6 doors between there.

No I didn't. But I see what you mean. I guess they're working out where they can cut costs.

Your right @expanda they're never the same.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Well we just did our first trip on the weekend and went to Bendeela Campground (Kangaroo Valley).

The van has exceeded my expectations in regard to how practical it is for a family of four. So glad I got the toilet/shower model.

Only thing that annoyed me was that when I turn on the water in shower basin, water drips from the hand pump tap at the kitchen.

As far as Bendeela went, it's not a bad spot. Woke up in the the middle of the night thinking someone was trying to steal my van. Turned out to be Wombats scratching themselves on the drawbar and axles. On the second night I put some sticks up to deter them, it worked but instead they rubbed against the drop jacks and the Jeep! Luckily no damage done.
20131201_141222.jpg_CES5852-01Dec2013-1514.jpg _CES5777-30Nov2013-1472.jpg _CES5853-01Dec2013-1515.jpg _CES5857-01Dec2013-1519.jpg _CES5856-01Dec2013-1518.jpg _CES5815-30Nov2013-1501.jpg

Last edited:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Well we just did our first trip on the weekend and went to Bendeela Campground (Kangaroo Valley).

The van has exceeded my expectations in regard to how practical it is for a family of four. So glad I got the toilet/shower model.

Only thing that annoyed me was that when I turn on the water in shower basin, water drips from the hand pump tap at the kitchen.

As far as Bendeela went, it's not a bad spot. Woke up in the the middle of the night thinking someone was trying to steal my van. Turned out to be Wombats scratching themselves on the drawbar and
axles. On the second night I put some sticks up to deter them, it worked but instead they rubbed against the drop jacks and the Jeep! Luckily no damage done. View attachment 18644

Seem like the wombies are serial offenders at this as others have reported :)!

Glad it all worked out well and you are enjoying it!

Reactions: BigSkiddy

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Did my second trip to Oallen Ford on the Shoalhaven River. Great spot.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/oallen-ford-shoalhaven-river.4132/#post-60737

When I lifted the roof I noticed the PVC on the poptop wasn't taunt on one side and discovered the rear gas strut had come off the roof mount end. Saw that a hex screw was missing from the upper bracket which had caused it to swing out. Was gonna fix it then and there but was having too much fun.

At departure when I went to lower the roof it kept pushing too far back putting the clips completely out of alignment. Bugger, so I thought I'll take a hex screw off one of the mudflaps and put in the strut bracket, but when I had a closer look the hex screw has sheared leaving the shank in the hole. Double bugger!!
So using my wife as a human ladder I unclipped the front strut to equalise the pressure and the roof came down properly aligned.
Now comes the task of getting it fixed before Xmas. I guess Jayco should do it but I don't like my chances of that happening.

Despite that issue still very happy with the van.

Last edited:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Pulled the bracket off this afternoon for a closer look.
As you can see it has sheared off good with nothing pertruding.
Tried drilling it but it's too hard.
20131216_165810.jpg 20131216_165825.jpg 20131216_165836.jpg
Notice how Jayco have initially drilled the bracket in the wrong spot and then moved it, plugging it with the hex screws.

Any suggestions apart from taking it to Jayco??

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Maybe not practable but make a longer bracket using the good screw and redrill the broken side further along with the new bracket.

I hope that sense.

I did think about that, or was going to take the easier option and redrill closer to the centre of the existing bracket.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
If you are still in warranty I would take it back. Jayco are known for over torqueing screws which subsequently break off. In my last Discovery I had a number that were over torqued. I fixed them my self as van out of warranty. My new StarCraft also exhibits over torqued screws.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Got the approval from Jayco to fix myself using @cruza driver idea of making a longer bracket.
Can't get the van to Jayco before I go on holidays so this will be the easiest option.
I'm an ex-toolmaker so shouldn't be out of my depth.

Reactions: cruza driver

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Got the approval from Jayco to fix myself using @cruza driver idea of making a longer bracket.
Can't get the van to Jayco before I go on holidays so this will be the easiest option.
I'm an ex-toolmaker so shouldn't be out of my depth.
Mate, I'm sure you will do a better job than Jayco anyway. Sometimes it's better and less hassle to do repairs yourself even when still under warranty! Those brackets are under a lot of stress from the strut, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Reactions: cruza driver

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
What about a longer strip of flat bar to run over the top of the bracket and pick up those other screws?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Made up the new bracket, fitted and now the van is back online. Took me about an hour which was quicker than a drive to Jayco. :biggrin-26:
20131222_165020.jpg

Had fun fitting the gas struts back on.
I firstly measured the distance it had to be compressed to. Using some wood I compressed it under my bench to the correct length. Took the leftover aluminium from the bracket I made, drilled some holes in it and put some wire through to hold in place.
20131222_175737.jpg

Placed it on the van and cut the wires
20131222_175943.jpg

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Made up the new bracket, fitted and now the van is back online. Took me about an hour which was quicker than a drive to Jayco. :biggrin-26:
View attachment 18951
Had fun fitting the gas struts back on.
I firstly measured the distance it had to be compressed to. Using some wood I compressed it under my bench to the correct length. Took the leftover aluminium from the bracket I made, drilled some holes in it and put some wire through to hold in place.
View attachment 18953
Placed it on the van and cut the wires
View attachment 18954
There would have been a few tense moments hoping the wire didn't let go I bet. :)

Reactions: BigSkiddy