Discovery 2013 Discovery 17.55-5SH OB - BigSkiddy

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Picked up the van yesterday. So far all looks good. The biggest relief was when it fitted under the carport (with about 10mm gap). The Grand Cherokee's airlift suspension helped here as I was able to lift it up to lower the back of the van.

Will post some more photos later.

View attachment 18486

Love it :)!

P.S We love interior pictures even more.....

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
P.S We love interior pictures even more.....

It's the same as yours inside expanda! But yes will put some up.

Also on a side note Jayco have discontinued the Discovery name and replaced it with Journey. Not sure if the layouts are the same.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Thanks guys, I'm really pleased with it. Here's some extra photos.

Colours inside are 'Checkmate Slate' for the seats and 'Daybreak' for the curtains. 'Griege' Laminex.
It's 'Exclusive Brethren' friendly with no TV or Radio fitted. (Will eventually get a TV).
_CES5733-25Nov2013-1297.jpg

_CES5731-25Nov2013-1296.jpg

Upgraded to the oven so my awesome wife can do her awesome cooking. The oven base has a rotisserie (spins like a microwave). The sink cover flips over and doubles as a dip and nibbleys platter.
_CES5727-25Nov2013-1295.jpg

The Grand Cherokee sits level and I won't need a WDH. Brought it home via the Hume and at 110kph it was pretty stable. The drawbar is extended which gives a heap of room will put a bike rack on there. My tow mirrors are Milenco Areo 2 and they fit the GC well.
_CES5741-25Nov2013-1305.jpg

Got the external shower and had Jayco mount an annex light above it. Love how the Jerry Can holder has a sticker stating you can't carry fuel, only water filled containers, so I'm going to remove that.
_CES5742-25Nov2013-1306.jpg

I'm happy with the bike rack, although my medium sized Giant Reign (black) just fits the length as you can see the wheels are close to the ends. I run 2.35 tyre width and they just fit in the 'v' channel. The bike behind has a 2.5 on the back and its not sitting in the 'v' channel. Should still be secure enough but I may reduce the tyre width when they need replacing.
_CES5735-25Nov2013-1299.jpg

Just makes it under my awning. Very happy about that as I sacrificed the air-conditioning an solar provision in the hope that it would fit. My awning at the lowest point is 2400mm, Jayco stated that the overall of the van is 2390mm, from that gap that looks about right. Also I had them remove the roof hatch above the shower and they put an extra window in the canvas to vent, it actually works well with letting more light in.
_CES5744-25Nov2013-1308.jpg

In her stable beside the house.
_CES5745-25Nov2013-1309.jpg

Only mods I need to do and put some lighting in the front boot area and put a detachable hose on the external shower so it doesn't feed into the cupboard inside. May put a reversing camera on the back.

Heading south this weekend to test it out, thinking either Bendeela or maybe even Canberra (what's Cotter Dam like?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 17triton

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Looking good mate, I see Jayco still have learnt to relocate number plates whem bike racks are fitted, geeezzzz sure was spot on with those height measurement, you can always fit an under bed A/C if you decide you need one.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Looking good mate, I see Jayco still have learnt to relocate number plates whem bike racks are fitted, geeezzzz sure was spot on with those height measurement, you can always fit an under bed A/C if you decide you need one.

I expressed my concern about the plate yet they reckoned it would be alright. I said no worries I'll get the cop to make the ticket out to Jayco Sydney.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I expressed my concern about the plate yet they reckoned it would be alright. I said no worries I'll get the cop to make the ticket out to Jayco Sydney.
Be careful mate, when it's double demerits it's something like $300 and 4 points!