Discovery 2013 Discovery 17.55-5SH OB - BigSkiddy

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Well after months of deliberation I finally put my order in for the Discovery 17.55-5SH OB. :triumphant:
Should be delivered by December.

My inclusions are:
- Extended Drawbar
- 150L Fridge
- Bike Rack (*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* on the rear)
- Bed Converter
- Dividing Curtain
- Smev Oven (deleted Microwave)
- External Shower with additional annex light above
- Drifter Control Panel
- Deleted the roof hatch over shower (to solve height restriction of my carport - additional window put in
the 'pop top canvas' to help vent instead. I'll make up my own fan to draw the air out if needed.

Thanks to all who helped with the numerous questions I had, I have found this forum really helpful.

Bonners

Jan 24, 2013
wollondilly nsw
good choice,
ask for the number plate and light be relocated as we are having to relocate ours

2013-08-17 14.46.24.jpg

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Congratulations.
Lots of sleepless nights ahead trawling the forum while you try to cope with the wait!

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Thanks guys.
Have a question in relation to the solar provision on the Outback models, do they have a junction box sitting up on the roof? I'm not getting solar but if anyone has the Discovery Outback without the panels would be keen to know.

fishinglizard

Nov 4, 2012
West of Sydney East of Lithgow
You mentioned you got the bed converter, did you have to pay for that? I didnt opt to get that, and my van came with a piece of for between the seats and a pillow to make it a bed which I didnt ask for or pay for. I leave it at home. I did remember seeing somewhere it was a paid for option. You might want to check that. Also if you read the stuff from jayco the mattress is a pillow top as standard in shower models or something, the shape of the bed in the 17 55 5 sh is not included in this, its an option I would have taken (paid for), not that I am un happy with the foam one.

casiochris

Dec 1, 2011
Newcastle NSW
The solar provision is a junction box on the roof. I am about to add a panel to our van, doing the research at the moment. Just don't know exactly where all the wires run to! They terminate at the battery though.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Bed converter was $254. Looks like you scored a freebee there. I've only got two kids but my 12 year old son keeps growing and may go beyond 6ft in the next couple of years so I though he could bend around the corner to get the length.

In the brochure it does say "Pillowtop Innerspring Mattress (double beds only)" but then underneath says "Standard Innerspring Mattress (Single and Angle Beds)". Looking at the options list it is $378 extra for the pillow top. I think I'll be right without it.

I was initially going to get the non shower model but by the time I added the HWS, extra water tank, extra gas bottle it was only an extra $1400 for the shower, so I thought what the heck. I think it will be a "no number 2 loo".

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Good choice on the shower/toilet combo I don't think we would be without it in our ''16''. It makes roadside camping and free camping so much easier with more options.

matsoutback

Mar 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast
I was initially going to get the non shower model but by the time I added the HWS, extra water tank, extra gas bottle it was only an extra $1400 for the shower, so I thought what the heck. I think it will be a "no number 2 loo".
That's similar to my logic, definitely have not regretted going with the shower and "no no.2 loo."

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Sounds like a good list of extra's!

What about these things (all luxuries of course :) ) -

1) Gas bayonets for plugging the BBQ in

2) Drop down table on the outside for sticking the telly on

3) External 240 power point under the drop down table for power to the outdoor telly

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
The solar provision is a junction box on the roof. I am about to add a panel to our van, doing the research at the moment. Just don't know exactly where all the wires run to! They terminate at the battery though.

Thanks. I'll have to get that deleted as it will interfere with my height restriction. It would only be two wires running down to the battery from the roof. If I eventually get solar I'd prefer to have the panels moveable.
Sounds like a good list of extra's!

What about these things (all luxuries of course :) ) -

1) Gas bayonets for plugging the BBQ in

2) Drop down table on the outside for sticking the telly on

3) External 240 power point under the drop down table for power to the outdoor telly

Outback has the bayonet for BBQ and external 240 & 12 volt points. Call me a tight a?rse but thought the table was not worth it.

Telly when you're caravaning.... come on! "I didn't drive all this way for you kids to sit around and watch TV, could have done that at home!!"

It's a no number 2 until your sitting amongst a thousand other people's filth, thinking how much nicer yr van is looking.
Yes agree, although I'm gonna try and avoid the caravan parks. SWMBO will probably use it still because her shi ........ oops I better stop there, she might read this.

Reactions: blacky and Soaring

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Outback has the bayonet for BBQ and external 240 & 12 volt points. Call me a tight a?rse but thought the table was not worth it.

I don't know if your table inside is on the rail like ours but we have found you can get another rail and attach it to the outside of the van. This way the table can be used inside and out. Will just have to either change the leg over to an adjustable one or get some blocks to pack under the leg.

BJ