Canvas Bed Fly's by Holiday Annexes

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
So what are they like "standard" without the PVC windows? Same as the pic?
What I mean is when you buy the standard @$570 it does include windows just not PVC ones?

Hi Bigman, the $570 doesn't include PVC clear window. You would get what you see in the photos, which is canvas with zippered canvas windows. The clear PVC Velcro on window is an extra. For me I wanted the clear windows so when it is raining we can still have full protection from the weather but also be able to let light in.
Its OK to order without clear windows, just means that when it's raining you drop the canvas flaps down and lose your light through the bed ends.

Reactions: bigman0510

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hi Bigman, the $570 doesn't include PVC clear window. You would get what you see in the photos, which is canvas with zippered canvas windows. The clear PVC Velcro on window is an extra. For me I wanted the clear windows so when it is raining we can still have full protection from the weather but also be able to let light in.
Its OK to order without clear windows, just means that when it's raining you drop the canvas flaps down and lose your light through the bed ends.

Cool, Thanks

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks Dave

I hear what you are saying but not really a fan of rivetting on another layer especially when we used to camp in the rain in our Hawk camper with no additional layers and didnt get wet. Are there alternatives to fixing additional protection similar to the way the privacy screens are buttoned on?

cheers sledge

G'day Sledge and welcome to the forum. You do not have to rivet anything else onto the van, my canvas screen has buttons placed the same as the privacy screen and just clips up the same as the privacy screen. As Gwadir says, they are an excellent addition for the reasons stated.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Dave

I hear what you are saying but not really a fan of rivetting on another layer especially when we used to camp in the rain in our Hawk camper with no additional layers and didnt get wet. Are there alternatives to fixing additional protection similar to the way the privacy screens are buttoned on?

cheers sledge

Hi again Sledge,
Here is a link to another thread that talks about bed ends. http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/bed-end-flys-annexes.1346/
There's heaps of inexpensive DIY options for you that many members have designed themselves and had great success with. And many of them using the existing press studs from the privacy screens. It a good read!
Lara.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi Sledge, yeah I know what you mean, we used to do a lot of camping too but now we're looking for a bit of comfort as well. Canvas will always capillary when wet so anything that is going to afford a little extra protection is fine by me, I hate being wet in bed, or for that matter climbing into a damp bed, and the added bonus is the thermal protection.

Have a look at Newcastle Knights photos, thread #33 in Bed End Fly's & Annexes (sorry I don't know how to add the thread yet)

Lara, if installed correctly around the perimeter where it is re-inforced there shouldn't be a problem and Holiday Annexes have worked pretty hard to make a quality product.

bigman0510, they don't come standard with the clear windows, but it's a good idea IMO.

Dave

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Hi Sledge, i have fitted the holiday annex bed end fly's myself, the sail track does rivet to the side of the hard cover but from memory there is alloy strengtheners where the rivets go through. Can have a look tomorrow and get back to you if you like i just . Ours has been on for approx 12 months and have had no issues at all.

Reactions: Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Sledge, yeah I know what you mean, we used to do a lot of camping too but now we're looking for a bit of comfort as well. Canvas will always capillary when wet so anything that is going to afford a little extra protection is fine by me, I hate being wet in bed, or for that matter climbing into a damp bed, and the added bonus is the thermal protection.

Have a look at Newcastle Knights photos, thread #33 in Bed End Fly's & Annexes (sorry I don't know how to add the thread yet)

Lara, if installed correctly around the perimeter where it is re-inforced there shouldn't be a problem and Holiday Annexes have worked pretty hard to make a quality product.

bigman0510, they don't come standard with the clear windows, but it's a good idea IMO.

Dave

Yep, agree, Holiday Annexes have worked hard to come up with a quality product that I would be proud to have on my Expanda. Coled1970 also said the perimeter is re-I forced so I have no problem using the supplied rivets. Thanks Dave.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Thanks Dave

cheers sledge
The main difference with the privacy screens between the wind-up campers (hawk etc) & the expanda's is when the privacy screens are set up properly i.e. with the poles & ropes & tied back to the van on the hawk, the screens are taught & kept away from the canvas bed ends.
Where as with the expanda's the bottom of the screens are tied to the base of the bed or left loose, because they are not as tight and are left to blow into the canvas, they have the effect of funneling the water straight to the canvas and not away from it as it is with the wind-ups = Jayco design fault.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
A mate of mine bought an 18 recently and the previous owner had clear screens made up and attached using sail track mounted inside the blocks where the struts mount. This allows for the screen to be folded up under lid, however they replaced the struts to cope with the weight.

Picture 943.jpg Picture 941.jpg

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Yay, My canvas bed fly's were delivered yesterday and I will fit them over the weekend.

They came 2 days after I ordered via Manfreight, Am really pleased so far. They were packaged like I've never seen before, Not a bit of tape or staple in sight. The package was actually 100% stitched closed in a silver tarp type material.
Then upon opening there were a few pleasant surprises.
1. The sailtracks were well packed in a thick cardboard tube for protection during freight.
2. The sailtracks are pre drilled, so I dont have to do any measuring!
3. There are 2 canvas bags included for storage of the fly's when not in use. Very nice and unexpected inclusion!
4. Instructions are very straight forward.

Here's a couple pics!
Will post some more after they're fitted!

IMG_3922.jpg IMG_3924.jpg IMG_3926.jpg IMG_3929.jpg

Reactions: vivkingsa

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
A mate of mine bought an 18 recently and the previous owner had clear screens made up and attached using sail track mounted inside the blocks where the struts mount. This allows for the screen to be folded up under lid, however they replaced the struts to cope with the weight.

View attachment 12549 View attachment 12550

Yep that's how mine go burnsy although I used black tautliner material. No probelms with the extra weight. But TBH I have never had a problem with the standard setup since I throughly waterproofed the bed ends several times and make sure the privacy screens are tight and clip in right where the water runs down the corner. You also need to make sure the water run off from the hardlid hinge clears the canvas. I posted a video ages ago showing how the water runs from the Lid.

I do like the solution offer here though.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Wow Lara, they certainly did look after the packaging, I've spoken to them and have decided that's where we're getting our annex and bed ends, you can see the professionalism in their product.

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
We had a set of bed-ends made up by a local bloke and he's done a great job.

Cost about $520 for both ends and they directly replace the privacy screens using the same studs.

We can roll up the windows or peg them out.

We can Velcro in either privacy screens or clear plastic covers.

I will take some photos next time the pandas out.

Hi everyone, this is Kim from Valley Canvas and Holiday Annexes. We are so glad to read the positive comments about our Bed Fly's and are very proud to be supplying a quality product that is making your caravaning more comfortable.

With regard to the use of aluminium pop rivets, they are kinder to the fibreglass and also strong as they pierce a hidden strip of aluminium that lines the rim of the hard lid. The use of full aluminium rivets significantly reduces the chance of rust.

Another suggestion is to hold the track in place then drill the 3 centre holes. Apply the silcone to the back of the track then insert the same 3 centre rivets. This holds the track firmly in place while the end rivets are inserted.

Please call us any time for more information on 02 49 364778 ( weekends included )

Happy Holidays

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Holiday annexes
Hey Kim, do you know if there are different size hard lids? I want to get a cover for my Basestation, just not sure if it is bigger or not than the others?
Also, the wife is bugging me about the rear of the basestation, have you guys ever done those rooms for the back, that turn the ramp (when supported) into an extension of the van? if so approx price? and would you need the van or not?
Cheers,

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I too would be slightly worried about pop rivets, they can be a great way to attach things but i think i would use more than what i saw on the photo, but i suppose they are the experts, the sail track must come very close to the inside edge of the opening, could it rub with the movement of the van under tow?
Overall they look great, i struggle with the cost though.
Look forward to hearing how they went!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Well we have successfully installed our canvas bed fly's yesterday and are insanely proud to have them on our Expanda. They look so professional and are quality all the way. Not a problem at all to fit yourself.

Andrew and I fitted them together, which was easy. Just had to do it between him surfing and then going to watch the Manly Knights game at Brooky oval. You could fit with one person but with the two of us made it easier.

In regards to rivits in the hard lid, I was just reading some comments above and I can say first hand that yes the hard lid edge is reinforced with aluminum and the sail track in no way interferes with the hard lid closing. Actually, after spending a while under the hard lid yesterday I will say there is no difference in using rivets for the sail track compared to the way jayco install their press studs. Same thing being done really, metal into hard lid and I haven't read about anyone having problems with their press studs.

I know to some they are pricey, but I believe you get what you pay for. These bed fly's are worth every cent if you are looking for a professional finish and a functional design.

I have taken some detailed pics and will post tonight when I have more time.

Reactions: bigman0510

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
OK, so here are some pics of our newly installed canvas bed fly's.
I have to break this into 2 posts, because I'm limited to 10 photos per post, and I have more to share than 10.
So this post will be pics of them up and fitted. Next post will show the detail of the sail tracks and how it is attached without interfering with the hard lid closing.

Everything went to plan and we are thrilled with the end result. Love the colour too! They a so simple to put on, would take 5 minutes max to attach both ends. Same applies when taking them down again.

Bed Fly's - 01.jpg Bed Fly's - 02.jpg Bed Fly's - 03.jpg Bed Fly's - 07.jpg Bed Fly's - 11.jpg

With velcro clear PVC windows attached

Bed Fly's - 04.jpg Bed Fly's - 05.jpg

Now another pleasant surprise is that not only are these bed fly's to protect from the weather but the mesh screens also provide privacy. I took 2 photos here to show you. When your inside you can still look outside no problem. But as you will see in the 2nd photo here, from the outside you cant see in. And yes the internal Jayco canvas windows were open in this photo. You wouldnt know it though, cant see a thing inside!

Bed Fly's - 08.jpg Bed Fly's - 09.jpg

And finally, packed away in the canvas bags provided. Happy days!

Bed Fly's - 12.jpg