Canvas Bed Fly's by Holiday Annexes

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
After our first weekend away in the Expanda we have decided we will be getting canvas bed ends. We only had rain on the first night and luckily no wet bedding as the rain was light. But after reading many posts on this forum about wet bed ends and bedding in heavy rain, we decided we dont want to find ourselves in that position. We have lots of trips planned and dont want the rain affecting our time away.

I had come across a post by 'Newcastle Knight' with pics of his canvas bed ends that was exactly what I was looking for. I have now spoken with Kim from Holiday Annexes and placed an order for 2 ends with Velcro on clear PVC windows. Kim was so helpful and emailed me all the info I needed as well as their prices. So I thought I'd share all the info with the forum for anyone else who's lnterested.

CANVAS BED FLY'S
$570 per bed fly, including freight or fitting
$990 for front & back canvas bed fly's, including freight or fitting

CLEAR PVC WINDOWS
$120 each for velcro on clear PVC window
or
$160 for a front to back clear PVC window. Which means you get one clear window that can be attached front or back.

I talked to Kim about whether we should come to 'The Hunter' for fitting or have them sent out for us to fit ourselves. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they have a powered ensuite site available to out of town customers who need somewhere to stay while having repairs or fittings done by Holiday Annexes.

All in all a very good company that has obviously done their homework on the Jayco Expandas. Kim was so great to deal with, which is why I wanted to share this info with you all. I will post some pics up once our bed fly's arrive. Looking forward to it!! Nice to know I'll never have a sleepness night when the rain starts pouring down!!

Please know I have no affiliation with this company, just want to share the info!! I'm a big believer in giving a good company a good rap!
This is the attachment ad from my invoice. Again, just like to share!

Holiday Annexes Bed Fly's.jpg

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Yeah, we're the same, wanted them in time for our next trip, the Easter school holidays.
Ours will be here by the weekend. Looking forward to fitting them and posting some pics!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I have one on my list too, they do look good! So i suppose you guys are hoping for rain at Easter now.....anyhow if it does i'm sure you'll be covered :)

Reactions: Lara

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Do they look like they are difficult to fit? Would love to get some but 1000km drive just to get fitted is a bit extreme.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Do they look like they are difficult to fit? Would love to get some but 1000km drive just to get fitted is a bit extreme.

Its a fairly straight forward job. They provide instructions and the sail track etc.
I'll be fitting ours on the weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes and post up some pics.
They also said to call if we have any questions when fitting.
Once the sail tracks up it just a matter of sliding the canvas bed ends in.

Reactions: MolongMick

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld

I had the south east Qld agent come out and he did it in about 45 minutes.
As you can see from the picture it is just 3 pieces of flexible sail track pop riveted to the hard lid.
image.jpg

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I had the south east Qld agent come out and he did it in about 45 minutes.
As you can see from the picture it is just 3 pieces of flexible sail track pop riveted to the hard lid.
View attachment 12535

Thanks Ragracing, good to see a close up pic of the sail track.
My order will contain everything I need but the rivet gun. Haven't used a rivet gun before but I'm keen to give it a go. Have watched a YouTube video and it looks simple enough. I am a perfectionist so I'll be measuring and marking first to space the rivets evenly for a professional look!

Ashevo

Aug 26, 2012
Karratha
Do you think there is a way to waterproof privacy screens? Does anyone know of a spray? Seems a waste to have paid for the screens and then not get to use them.
Cheers
Ashley

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
The problem with Jayco's privacy screens is that they are meant for just that, privacy. They are not designed to be weather proof. Its such a loosely woven mesh that unfortunately no spray is going to help.
Jayco really should go back to the drawing board and start again.

Reactions: Beno

ragracing

Jan 30, 2012
Petrie Qld
Thanks Ragracing, good to see a close up pic of the sail track.
My order will contain everything I need but the rivet gun. Haven't used a rivet gun before but I'm keen to give it a go. Have watched a YouTube video and it looks simple enough. I am a perfectionist so I'll be measuring and marking first to space the rivets evenly for a professional look!

Hi Lara,

You'll be fine but being a perfectionist I'm sure it will take longer than 45 minutes!

Duncan

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
I know Im new with an expanda but why do you need to fit additional canvas bed ends when the expanda bed ends are already made of canvas and you have a hard lid?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I would be concerned using pop rivets into fibreglass, I wonder if there is a better way. Maybe small stainless nut and bolts. Just thinking out loud!

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
hi sledge, welcome to the forum,

The additional canvas bed ends serve several purposes,

firstly it stops rain hitting the canvas, when rain hits the canvas if you have bedding on the inside up against the canvas the moisture will capillary through the canvas and cause your bedding to become damp id not wet.

Secondly, the two layers of canvas allow an air gap to be formed which has the side effect of providing an insulating barrier, so if its hot outside with the air con running less heat is lost to the outside making the inside cooler and the air con more efficient, conversely if it's cold outside the warmth inside is not lost as quickly to the outside, so you end up with some good benefits.

Add clear velcro windows over the flyscreens and you allow ambient light in when it's wet.

Hope this helps

Dave

Reactions: Johnstons and Lara

sledge

Banned
Feb 21, 2013
Sunbury
hi sledge, welcome to the forum,

The additional canvas bed ends serve several purposes,

firstly it stops rain hitting the canvas, when rain hits the canvas if you have bedding on the inside up against the canvas the moisture will capillary through the canvas and cause your bedding to become damp id not wet.

Secondly, the two layers of canvas allow an air gap to be formed which has the side effect of providing an insulating barrier, so if its hot outside with the air con running less heat is lost to the outside making the inside cooler and the air con more efficient, conversely if it's cold outside the warmth inside is not lost as quickly to the outside, so you end up with some good benefits.

Add clear velcro windows over the flyscreens and you allow ambient light in when it's wet.

Hope this helps

Dave
Thanks Dave

I hear what you are saying but not really a fan of rivetting on another layer especially when we used to camp in the rain in our Hawk camper with no additional layers and didnt get wet. Are there alternatives to fixing additional protection similar to the way the privacy screens are buttoned on?

cheers sledge

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I would be concerned using pop rivets into fibreglass, I wonder if there is a better way. Maybe small stainless nut and bolts. Just thinking out loud!

I like your thinking Maccayak, might just look into that one. Less force and pressure on the fiberglass would be beneficial! Cheers!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Dave

I hear what you are saying but not really a fan of rivetting on another layer especially when we used to camp in the rain in our Hawk camper with no additional layers and didnt get wet. Are there alternatives to fixing additional protection similar to the way the privacy screens are buttoned on?

cheers sledge

Hi Sledge,
Just wondering, did you use your Hawk without any bed fly's?