Bed End Fly's & Annexes

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Check out that canvas bed end cover, its perfect!
Even has roll up windows, the one thing mine is missing.

Mine is so dark with it on.

canvas bed fly.JPG

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
Interesting, their website points to "Valley Canvas" and that's where we got our annexe from . Didn't know they make bed ends as well. In fact these must be a new product line as I have checked the site before.

Might have to suss out the price

craigr

Jun 11, 2012
Does anyone know the price of these canvas bed end covers?
Would like to get some for the new 18

Cheers
Hi I've got a 16.49 and the quoted price for the canvas bed end covers with 3 windows was about $600 for one end and about $975 for both incl. fitting.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Big Gee,

I called this place yesterday and asked them about the canvas fly, $570 fitted. They use a plastic sail track around the lid so one side slips in first and press studs to the van and then the end slips in and last the other side and then that side is secured with the press studs. They said the sail track doesn't interfere with the lid closing or sealing. They use a 4oz canvas so not too heavy and pulls the lid down.Looks good to me I think I'll go with this on our new van!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Interested to know what the difference is with the factory privacy screens and the ones from Prestige Jayco?

Does having the privacy screens (of any description) stop the mattress getting damp, as you read about happening in so many threads?

Ro

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Interested to know what the difference is with the factory privacy screens and the ones from Prestige Jayco?

Does having the privacy screens (of any description) stop the mattress getting damp, as you read about happening in so many threads?

Ro

I read the other day that someone uses corflute (real estate signs cut down) to combat the wet mattress. I'm not sure how it works or anything but thought I'd share it, but personally I dont think I'd do it either :behindsofa: I haven't had wet mattress in ours and we use the factory Jayco Privacy screens.

Another advantage I see with canvas though would be extra insulation from the cold.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Ro,

The one Big Gee and I were talking about allows a gap between the bed canvas and the fly canvas so as CD said would insulate. If no rain can touch the bed canvas then nothing inside should get wet. I have the mesh privacy screens and if you get rain and wind the canvas can still get wet, when I was away on the long weekend we had some heavy fog and a found a bit of water on the top of bed canvas (vinyl section) so I believe the canvas would prevent this.

When I spoke to the bloke from holiday annexes he also said they stop condensation. The price they quoted me included fitting the plastic sail track but if you wanted to have one delivered I wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult to fit yourself and should also make it cheaper.

Cheers.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Cruza driver and Burnsy - Thanks for the info.

I have the Prestige Jayco made privacy screens coming with the van, but as the bed ends are canvas, I might also apply a coat of the waterproofing agent we use on the canvas and synthetic rugs we use for the horses. We get this at the Horseland stores.

Ro

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I have camped in some pretty big storms and the factory privacy screens do nothing to stop the canvas (and then matress) from getting wet. I got my canvas cover made up before a big trip last year, and it works a treat at keeping the camper canvas dry. Also a noticable difference in the insulation in winter.

Down side with mine is if you use it in a summer storm, the van gets way too hot, as i can't get the air circulating. The one with the windows looks like a much better idea. My one attaches with press studs only and have a habbit of coming undone in heavy winds too.

For me, the ones on the website look like perfect solution, and i like the idea of the sail track, so easy. Hope someone gets one and can give some feedback on the forum.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
I've only got the Jayco privacy screens and that's what I'm taking on my trip. If the mattress gets wet and we get uncomfortable I'll be picking these beauties up on our way back...They look fantastic

Feb 1, 2012
Will be talking to the wife tonight about getting these put on in the next month ready for our Tasi trip....she is currently in Sydney at the Craft Show so will have some bargaining power up my sleeve in terms of spending money.....:becky:

Feb 1, 2012
Hey Big Gee,

I called this place yesterday and asked them about the canvas fly, $570 fitted. They use a plastic sail track around the lid so one side slips in first and press studs to the van and then the end slips in and last the other side and then that side is secured with the press studs. They said the sail track doesn't interfere with the lid closing or sealing. They use a 4oz canvas so not too heavy and pulls the lid down.Looks good to me I think I'll go with this on our new van!

Bit more information after talking to them today. For both front and back you are looking at $990 fitted. Due to the lightweight canvas they say that they weigh only around 1kg each. You have to totally remove them to close the lid, well at least thats what the bloke said. He thinks if you have the mesh screens you don't need to remove them you can just leave them there.

I am thinking I will get a set whilst I still have a few $$$ left after the van purchase and prior to heading off to Tasmania in September.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Sounds good NK,Yeah you can leave the mesh ones on they basically fold up under the lid. I would be keen to suss yours out when you get them done as we should get our van in september.

Cheers.

Feb 1, 2012
When I rang he suggested that I would only need one for the front bed but I thought that if the front gets wet why won't the back?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
The only reason I can think of is that the front lid sits flatter than the back but it still doesn't make much sense, I'd get both done!

Geoff

Mar 29, 2012
Ipswich, QLD
I have been experimenting with waterproof bed ebd flys and looks like I am not alone.
One attempt was to cut some translucent vinyl to same size as the shade cloth flys, and add press studs at same spacing so the vinyl was put up in place of the shafe cloth flys. Partially successfull.
Just taken delivery of some clear plastic with velcro sewn to both plastic and shade cloth flys. Idea is to leave the flys in situ and add the plastic flys in wet weather without blocking out the light. Plastic is 0.2mm thick and 1.3 m wide.
Going away this weekend will let you know how it works. Cheers.

Reactions: FamilyTime