Upgrade of the tugboat on the cards...

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Went down to ford, Isuzu, jeep and Holden dealers today. Outcomes:

• Boss not impressed with the ranger's interior. Just didn't click with her and she thought was a bit cheap
  • Dmax was poorly kitted out in the version we saw and not much chop. But that's it's price point I think. I reckon it's perform admirably.
  • Loved the jeeps particularl the Limited. It was out of our price range but did think long and hard in the Laredo. Started at $56k before talking turkey so I'd have to work hard to get it in our price range with what we need.
  • Sat in Colorado and likes it quite a bit. They had a walkinshaw version there that looked the full kit and kaboodle... :)
Didn't get to Mazda, maybe tomorrow. But going to start talking shop with GM in the meantime...

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We do love the Paj, but really want to go up to 3.5t to give us room to move. I'm sure the Paj would do it no probs but just want to be sure. Also, like @Drover we want something we can 'just chuck stuff on the back'. Bikes, wood, weber, that kind of thing.

Okay so that deletes the jeep then, your looking at dual cabs? At least you kids will grow with straight backs ha ha.

Reactions: crackacoldie

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
@Smergen , As I currently have a BT50 2 x 4 and a Colorado 4x4 happy to answer any questions you have. Some of the things I have noticed between the 2.
Colorado will be easier for the boss to drive, it has a better turning circle and heaps easier to park in shopping centre car parks. To be honest the BT50 always feels big.
If she doesn't like ranger interiors, she may not like BT50 as it has the same family resemblance, although I don't mind it, however it has way too many buttons on dash and mode buttons are in stupid spots in the binnacle. The Colorado has a very clutter free dash and it is handy having the factory nav included, however you need a smart phone for it to work and it is slow to start.
Reverse camera is very good on Colorado. Bluetooth is slow to activate on Colorado compared to BT. I could go on. I like both cars equally and I think the BT feels a bit more substantial (masculine)than the Colorado if you know what I mean. My opinions of course and other may disagree.

Cheers Geoff

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Okay so that deletes the jeep then, your looking at dual cabs? At least you kids will grow with straight backs ha ha.

I'm reliably informed the jeep goes to 3.5t. Maybe it's what we'll aspire to get one day...

And I was pleased with the room in the back of all dual cabs today. Kids fit easy and didn't looked stressed at all

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @macca, a good solid review there. I reckon everything has it's pros and cons, each one has a lemon and an outstanding performer. I think it will come down more to price point than anything else, but we'll see. We've only ever bought older cars with many miles on the clock. To us, everything seems smicko!

And another thing I hadn't thought of that came up in conversation today.... Colour. Hadn't thought about it too much. Is black really that much hotter???

And manual vs. auto... I'd prefer manual but auto could be better day to day.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Grand Cherokee diesels have always been 3.5 ton tow units going back to 2002.
Even though I always swore by a manual, these modern auto's are brilliant, towing, FWDing they beat manual hands down, decent coolers and proper servicing, great stuff.

Relle & Mark

Sep 15, 2014
South East Melbourne
Test drove the ford ranger XLS 4x4 2.2ltr auto heaps of power & very comfortable to drive,
Also drove the ford ranger XLT 4x2 3.2ltr 6 speed manual was very impressed with both vehicles being dual cab utes in fact the XLT 4x2 is 10grand cheaper than the XLT 4x4 ;):biggrin1::thumb:

Reactions: Smergen

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
@Smergen just buy the bloody jeep and be done with it lol I went through the same thing, very frustrating but I decided I didn't want a ute in the end which made the decision a bit easier, good luck with the choices

Reactions: Matty4

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

I'm reliably informed the jeep goes to 3.5t. Maybe it's what we'll aspire to get one day...

And I was pleased with the room in the back of all dual cabs today. Kids fit easy and didn't looked stressed at all

No I was referring to
we want something we can 'just chuck stuff on the back'. Bikes, wood, weber, that kind of thing.

Reactions: Smergen

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Black cars are awesome when new and clean but are more work to keep them like that. I don't think the heat thing is that bad now all cars have ac.

I took the Cruza down an overgrown trail yesterday and by the time I could turn around it wasn't pretty. I wouldn't have wanted a black car!

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Is this going to be your daily driver, or SWMBO's?
I only ask as there is a snowflakes chance in hell that my wife would ever drive a ute.......

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Don't talk to me about black cars :frusty:

Usually white is cheaper to buy and doesn't look as dirty either, but god dam black looks good though. Plus if you go offroad and get one of those pesky scratches on a black paint job it sticks out, where as scratches on a white one's they tend to blend in if it is not down to the metal.
I have had Red/Gun metal grey and a black 4x4 and swore I would never get a metallic paint job ever again.
The metallic I feel definatly look better but they have higher maintenance though.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Thats a lot for two years of driving!! :) but appreciate the feedback. I recall someone up north (@PhilD ??) also having big issues with theirs. I must admit, I don't min the BT once you put some 4x4 'makeup' on the front.
It wouldn't be fair to use my incident as anything indicative of Rangers. If as Ford and the Dealer claim that it all turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump getting over heated then there is no reason that BT50's should not be also likely to get the same fault. Having posted my trouble on a few Forum's and only getting one other mention of something similar then it may just have been an isolated issue. My main real complaint is that Ford/Mazda have a vehicle that is capable of generating a Limp Home condition while leaving no trace of the cause within the computer system. Hopefully they will update their software to fix this possibility as after all the computer knew enough about it to put it in to the Limp Home Mode.

Other than that my complaints were about the attitudes of Ford and the Dealer as to a few side issues. This is where choosing a new car is more than the car itself. In these days of Dealers selling multiple brands, and sometimes ones that would seem to be direct competitors, then personal preference as to who you are buying it from and servicing it come in to it. One multi franchise Dealer sells the Colorado, BT50 and Nissans for example. Most people here on this Forum probably live in areas where you have alternate choices as to Dealers in a particular Brand within relatively easy driving distances. For some Brands up here the nearest alternate is possibly Alice Springs or Mt Isa. If Dealer preference and alternates was our first choice then we would have bought the LC twin cab but lack of creature comforts and no auto version removed it from further consideration. We really only have 4 Dealers up here with most Brands split across them. It must be real comforting for people with luxury vehicles to find out that their local servicing Dealer also takes care of the bottom of the market one's as well.

As to taking vehicles for test drives and making choices, people would probably find it strange that prior to actually taking delivery of the Ranger we didn't take one for a drive. There wasn't an XLT auto available to test at the time but neither was the LC twin cab or the Amarok that we were considering. I had read enough about them that it didn't particularly bother me and the only thing about the Ranger that bothered me was the suspension being a bit soft and wallowing. I doubt that any standard model of any make would have thrilled me anyway and ours is now a bit modified in that area so not an major issue now. Could still do with a bit of tweaking though.

I'll reserve further judgement until we actually get it to go more than the 20km towing the van on the aborted trip last year. Trying to set off on this years trip in late April to May but now having to cut off WA for a down the centre and back via Eastern States for 4 months or so. The Ranger had no troubles in 2013 getting the WnP from Adelaide back here so last year wasn't fair to judge it on.

Phil

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
It wouldn't be fair to use my incident as anything indicative of Rangers. If as Ford and the Dealer claim that it all turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump getting over heated then there is no reason that BT50's should not be also likely to get the same fault. Having posted my trouble on a few Forum's and only getting one other mention of something similar then it may just have been an isolated issue. My main real complaint is that Ford/Mazda have a vehicle that is capable of generating a Limp Home condition while leaving no trace of the cause within the computer system. Hopefully they will update their software to fix this possibility as after all the computer knew enough about it to put it in to the Limp Home Mode.
Phil
Had my BT for nearly 3 years now and have done 2 big trips (2 half circles of Oz from Adel covering 30K km) and numerous smaller ones with never a whimper or hiccup. The dealer here have made my experiences all the better.
As @PhilD said, a dealer and their after purchase support can either completely ruin or enhance your appreciation of your tug. Never regretted the BT for one second. Will stick with it for quite a while yet I reckon.
Our daily drive is a Mazda 3 Maxx ( just upgraded to the latest one after 7 yrs) Happy hunting!