Upgrade of the tugboat on the cards...

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Ok gang, it seems our trusty tractor is getting a little long in the tooth and we are fast tracking our car upgrade (which was on the cards in a year or two). So I'm calling on the learned forumites to divulge their preferences and thoughts after you all helped out with the initial purchase.

So what are the parameters?
  • 3.5t towing capacity
  • 5 seats, comfortable for touring for 3 rug rats
  • $50k, but we'd really like to keep it below that to keep some coin for upgrades and mods
The towing capacity is well above our van but that's the way I want it. If I ever get luck enough to pull a work n play or base station into the yard, I don't want another tug change. Also, I want a car that can comfortably do what is asked.

Currently on the list is the usual suspects:
  • Colorado
  • Ranger
  • BT-50
  • Grand Cherokee
  • D-max (is that 3.5t?)
Open to second hand options I suppose that will get a vehicle 'ready to roll' within budget.

So embellish me with your experiences, thoughts and bias. Tales of woe and awesomeness. Deals you got or things to avoid.

My thanks in advance.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
gi day @Smergen, i have the hi lux as you have seen, but my brother purchased a new ex demo ranger last year that he's been happy with, gets great mileage, tows a horse float, which can be worse than a van as the load keeps moving. They are very happy.
i have been in it and if i was to up grade, i would be considering the Ranger.
Ps a lot of the farmers that live nearby my brother have them, hence the reason he went that way after talking to them.
@Relle & Mark may be in the market, could strike a deal to buy 2. just a thought!

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I've had a Ranger for a little over 2 years now, has 170000kms on it, biggest bucket of puss you will ever come across, my economy is sitting just below that of my petrol 100, continual electrical and cooling problems. I would like to think it is just a lemon, but our whole fleet at work is experiencing the same issues.

Go for the BT50, not sure why but they are a far superior vehicle.

Reactions: 17triton

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I've had a Ranger for a little over 2 years now, has 170000kms on it, biggest bucket of puss you will ever come across, my economy is sitting just below that of my petrol 100, continual electrical and cooling problems. I would like to think it is just a lemon, but our whole fleet at work is experiencing the same issues.

@crackacoldie isn't the bt the same ute as the ranger with different panels ?

Reactions: Relle & Mark

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Until Jeep fix their DPF problem hold off on a Grand Cherokee. But if you got a MY12/13 you'd be okay.

Also going from a Pajero wagon to a ute might be a bit dissapointing for the rear passengers. My lot protested when I tried them in a ute. Hence the Grand Cherokee.

There's the MU-X and Colorado 7 too.

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks @Colin&Sue... Certainly heaps down this way, most with big smiles on their faces... The Minister for Domestic Affairs has it as her 'best looking' option, which is her contribution to the decision making process...

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I've had a Ranger for a little over 2 years now, has 170000kms on it

Thats a lot for two years of driving!! :) but appreciate the feedback. I recall someone up north (@PhilD ??) also having big issues with theirs. I must admit, I don't min the BT once you put some 4x4 'makeup' on the front.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@Smergen
If you want power and luxury you can't go past the Grand Cherokee.

If you like a nice interior for a commercial vehicle, good looking 4x4 but happy to part with a bit more $$$ you can't beat the Ranger or BT 50

As for the Dmax I feel there under powerd compared to the Colorado.

As for the the Colorado you will find its more comershall but has a better drive train than the Dmax and you will find its cheaper too than the Ranger/Dmax and the Jeep. If you also look at a lots of mining companies in WA there all buying them because there cheep and they just keep on going.

There is some reading here if you interested as well>>>
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/th...ur-tow-vehicle-set-up.1226/page-12#post-74585

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/colorados-first-test.4733/#post-67788

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/ute-canopy-weight-limit.3353/page-2#post-63347

Last edited:
Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Until Jeep fix their DPF problem hold off on a Grand Cherokee. But if you got a MY12/13 you'd be okay.

Also going from a Pajero wagon to a ute might be a bit dissapointing for the rear passengers. My lot protested when I tried them in a ute. Hence the Grand Cherokee.

DPF??

I hear you on tithe back seat thing. My 3 are still pretty young so most back seats are still enormous for them.

The 'rado 7 is only 3t, and can only assume the MUX is the same

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA

MU-X and the Colorado 7 are only 3 tone or 2.7 because there independent, not like the Dual cab 4x4's which are leaf on the rear end and therefor the larger 3.5 towing capacity.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I guess you really need to prioritise all the things you'll need the vehicle for.
4 of the 5 options you've suggested are dual cab utes.
Do you need (want) a ute?
Obviously luggage carrying capacity in a ute is better than a wagon (mostly) but then you'll need to add a canopy and deal with the lack of security they provide compared to a wagon.
With 3 kids I would also seriously consider a 7 seat option. We've had several and now that we don't have one I'm copping grief consistantly for not getting one again. (Told Mrs. Matty4 if she wanted a 7 seater so badly we'll sell her Ford Focus and get her one so I can keep my Jeep.....................that didn't go down too well let me tell you...lol)

The Jeep doesn't do 7 seats but an MY11-13 CRD could be had for well under that money with left overs to kit it up a bit.
The aftermarket is starting to support it more and more.

Reactions: Drover

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I keep thinking to upgrade my Mini and been looking at a Pathfinder as has 7 seats.
Although did look at Territory people get good mileage out of and being so many around you have parts. Has same engine/auto from Land Rover. We still like our D3 although anything goes wrong it's always $
You look at most cars now and you can find people who have lemons. My brother in laws Jeep been fine when he meets other jeep owners they ask what's broke on yours so far :)

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Been looking at this myself for awhile now, wanting to trade the Grand for a Ute for ease of carting stuff genny in the back is not nice or bait buckets.
I've narrowed my selection down to only Turbo diesels of at least 3lt capacity, with 3 or 3.5 t tow, I'm basically down to Ranger/BT50 , son in law runs a BT50, company rig and gets good economy and handling out of it and friends with Rangers report similar, Dmax is good but last time I checked had a timing belt not a chain which requires changing and is usually overpriced and Colorado's just don't feel right ???????....looked at some nice Cruisers but would need a loan to travel between fuel stops.
I'm looking for one that is about 2 or 3 yrs old and has any warranty hassles out of the way but with around 60,000k on it and then I look after it myself.
Ideally I would like a tray back with trady boxes on either side with the gap in the middle for genny and jerry cans etc tinny or Yak up top.

Have had Jeeps for the last 12 years and mine is great but I just don't trust the new Grands, vehicle okay but servicing seems to be ordinary and parts can take 6 weeks or more if thru Jeep.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Any reason your not considering another Paj?

Proven, reliable, cheap. Most underrated or do you need more room?

We do love the Paj, but really want to go up to 3.5t to give us room to move. I'm sure the Paj would do it no probs but just want to be sure. Also, like @Drover we want something we can 'just chuck stuff on the back'. Bikes, wood, weber, that kind of thing.