The Marshian's New Home - 19ft New Age Gecko

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Another small job which put me in the good books... a couple of dividers in the big cupboard under the bed. This will help separate kids clothes on Big Trip. Only done two of the 3 shelves, either my gear or slightly larger items will go down on the bottom level. Simple brackets and painted ply to keep weight down, I reckon they came up OK.

Top shelf
IMG_5988.JPG IMG_5992.JPG
Middle shelf
IMG_5994.JPG IMG_5999.JPG

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Getting the van ready to head over to Flinders decided to test out the fridge on gas. I'd heard of another member who had troubles lighting their fridge on gas recently... * cough * @17triton * cough * .... Happy to say that with the van unplugged, I turned the gas on at the front, went into the van, switched it on, and it sensed gas in the line and fired itself up on the gas setting. I let it run for 20min, all good. Then went and plugged the van in at the wall and checked the fridge again. It had picked up 240V was present and switched over to power and the gas was shut down...

I now know that man must have walked on the moon to create such a marvellous magical machine that doesn't require me to fire a piezo 4,543 times...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If I think there's a chance someone will pop a circuit or pull the lead out I leave the gas on to fridge, has paid off as once we had a black out and the fridge contents were saved as the fridge fired up on gas....................but it's especially important to be doubly sure the gas is turned off when you hook up.

Reactions: bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well, that's the good thing about this fridge @Drover, provided I have the gas turned on at the bottle, if we have a blackout (or a pesky kid pulls out the lead), then it will automatically switch over to gas. Since the gas line is always open when we camp (for stove and I like to boost the HWS if we are rolling the kids through the shower) then we should be OK.

And @Pace, yep, that was a trick we often used to draw gas through the line as well. Still required quite a few pushes of the button though (5 or 6) before she fired up.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Save me scrolling back a looking at those damn pics of your van, if your fridge has the 2 doors there is a tube which runs the cable's from the back of the fridge to behind the control panel which is handy if you want to run an extra cable to that area.............I fitted a switch for my fans there.... if you already have the fans fitted then it could be used for something else that you will mod...................................I'm more worried about stupid old people pulling the wrong lead out of the box or tripping over it.................seen some mentally challenged folks lately and the number of people who just plug their water and power in with the cable/leads stretching out so folks can trip over them is unbelievable, they just don't think. I always tie/tape my cable to the post so some moron doesn't pull the thing out........................I'm starting to rant again ? aren't I...sorry......

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well The Big Green Lizard is in for its first service. Only a few minor things to touch up and they quickly sourced the shorting of the outside light to the first errant screw they looked at.

Their service when I dropped the van off was as experienced before, top notch and full of detail. I was there at open time, and despite people going each and every way, staff took the time as we went through the concerns I had. Even proved that the connection issues with the fridge and car were car related (test light) which was really appreciated.

All done and dusted and looking forward to picking the Gecko tomorrow!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Picked up yesterday, no issues. External light fixed, cosmetic issues inside all addressed, and all moving, electrical and plumbing parts of the van ticked and given seal of approval. I rocked up 10min early and New Age were like "do you mind waiting 10min, we're just finishing washing your van. Here's a coffee while you wait."

Now that's how you make a customer feel that they and their custom are valued.:):)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds great!

Our current experience is more....
  • did you call?
  • What was it about?
  • Send your request by email
  • No, I have no idea what the factory production schedule is
  • I'm no good with email
  • Did you call? I've been busy
  • The factory haven't replied
  • Did you call?
  • Send your request in an email
  • What was it you asked?
And so on.

I thought it was a service industry!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
So pottering around in the van this evening measuring up some spaces for some future things, I eventually end up looking under the van at wiring and piping contemplating what I might require to protect the under carriage on the big trip. Glad I did because I noticed the two following things:

A nick in the pick up hose from the front tank. Hadn’t split right through but probably would and still might. Grabbed some old tube out of the garden shed and zip tied it to it to cover and protect it. Will try and get around to replacing before we head off.

20161215_184542.jpg

Some of the wiring for the brake had slipped of the axle, probably from a loss of a zip ties. And what to fix it with? Zip ties...

20161215_183253.jpg

But what please me was the general layout and tidiness under there. Things look routed well and with thought. All protruding wiring that I could see had been covered already which will save me a job.

20161215_183244.jpg

Some protection of some fittings and bits and pieces but all in all, I’m pretty impressed.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
So pottering around in the van this evening measuring up some spaces for some future things, I eventually end up looking under the van at wiring and piping contemplating what I might require to protect the under carriage on the big trip. Glad I did because I noticed the two following things:

A nick in the pick up hose from the front tank. Hadn’t split right through but probably would and still might. Grabbed some old tube out of the garden shed and zip tied it to it to cover and protect it. Will try and get around to replacing before we head off.

View attachment 46620

Some of the wiring for the brake had slipped of the axle, probably from a loss of a zip ties. And what to fix it with? Zip ties...

View attachment 46621

But what please me was the general layout and tidiness under there. Things look routed well and with thought. All protruding wiring that I could see had been covered already which will save me a job.

View attachment 46622

Some protection of some fittings and bits and pieces but all in all, I’m pretty impressed.
When do you leave on your adventure