The Marshian's New Home - 19ft New Age Gecko

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Well done @Smergen great looking setup.
Well worth the wait...

What Mods have you got planned?...

OK... photo time... a few from pick up and the shake down trip. Hope they are interesting because I still can't stop smiling. And yes, I was out in there this evening, just smelling the new van smell...

Hooked up for the first time, and I was surprised that the van didn't look bigger when we first looked at it. Mind you it was sitting next to some of the big boys in the New Age range.
View attachment 43932

Stopped over at BP Rockbank to get some lollies to reward #3 for being a trooper through a tough long for him. I took the opportunity to jump out and take some roadside pics...
View attachment 43933 View attachment 43934 View attachment 43935

Later that night took some internals. Strangely didn't take any internals on the shakedown trip so no daylight pics. Take my word for it that it's very light and open during the day, and thanks to a million LEDs, extremely bright at night...

As you can see, we went white with dark upholstery with dark tweed floor. It's quite neutral and perhaps sterile for some, but the absence of faux wood vinyl floor and light wood panelling it's a refreshing and welcome change.
View attachment 43936

L shape lounge... love the drop down panel, albeit it very dangerous with a trigger happy latch. Opens up lots of space when moving around the van.
View attachment 43937

A couple of mod-cons that we didn't have in the other van. A stero, which although perhaps basic by some Fusion standards, does what we need with CD, radio, Bluetooth, Pandora and the like. We're not big van tech heads but it does the job. Was great just having the footy on in the background on the weekend. The drifter panel is something I've always been jealous of in other vans. It's awesome... but something that I'm sure most of you are aware of... Forgive the "new guy" moment.
View attachment 43938 View attachment 43939

The crowning glory (or at least in our opinion) is our bunk beds/loft bed cupboard storage combo thingymajig. The pictures tell most of the story, but really it's a super amount of storage and more than ample from our perspective for our Big Trip. We haven't even come close to working out how to use it all, if at all, but it gives us the flexibility to chop and change.
View attachment 43940 View attachment 43941 View attachment 43942

OK, the few shakedown trip pics we took... sorry weather was terrible...
View attachment 43944 View attachment 43945

Like really terrible...
View attachment 43946

So all in all it was a great trip, and a good test of the vans ability to handle wet and cold (which it did quite well). The van is heavier and bigger than the last one and in the strong winds on the way home we hit new territory for fuel consumption (~20-21l/100km). Hopefully that's not the norm as it was more around the 16/17 on the way down.

All home...
View attachment 43948

And then it was a quick test of a few things... Weber doesn't fit in the front tunnel without removing the lid but the hatch under the bed seems perfectly sized... Would prefer it in the fully sealed front tunnel though so I reckon we might be taking the lid off. Still... nice to have options!

View attachment 43949

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Very Schmicko.................looks great inside...:).................but really you are depriving your offspring the joys of camping under canvas and the wonders of all things native on the ground joining them in bed, or of freezing cold or soaking wet...the wind blowing the camp into the tree's...............................................................things we all had when young and your not sharing the adventure......................don't you feel ashamed..........:p

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Very Schmicko.................looks great inside...:).................but really you are depriving your offspring the joys of camping under canvas and the wonders of all things native on the ground joining them in bed, or of freezing cold or soaking wet...the wind blowing the camp into the tree's...............................................................things we all had when young and your not sharing the adventure......................don't you feel ashamed..........:p
He's still got the swags and tents to keep it real lol.

Reactions: dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well done @Smergen great looking setup.
Well worth the wait...
What Mods have you got planned?...

Where do we start? Really it's just about planning. There will be a tool box addition at some stage, as well as a diesel heater. Mounts for a TV for the Big Trip will also needed to be added, rear camera, bike rack solution... Then there's pantry arrangements, wardrobe storage solutions, etc... Loads and loads of things really. But ultimately they are just small little comfort items. We've got all the big bones in place and won't be doing any kind of crazy left field kind of thing.

Just showed it to my SHMBO'd and she loves the bunks.....

Pics look great @Smergen and looks like it had a good test for the shakedown trip.

Thanks mate. Was a good test, but we're probably going for an off-grid one asap to test out battery/water life and see how we go.

Looks good whats your atm and tare

Thanks Bluey. Weights are:

Tare: 2310kg
ATM: 2810kg
GTM: 2690kg

So a little heavier than I was hoping, as I was aiming at around 2200kg. But I think the robes and air con added a bit more than I thought. Not to mention bigger tanks and wheels. Either way, it's within the Rock Trucks capabilities, but we need to make sure we don't overdo it with stuff we don't need.

Ha ha... Yeah I suppose they are spoilt, but #1 loves his swag, and #2 & #3 have their two man tent as well. We'll be doing plenty of side trips where the van is left behind to get to those hard to reach spots. They'll rough it enough. Trip to the High Country earlier in the year showed they're not adverse to roughin' it.

I refer you here: http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/the-marshians-do-the-high-country.8830/#post-150848

He's still got the swags and tents to keep it real lol.

Mind you after this van, they might go "stuff that Dad! where's the heater?"

Last edited:

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Do you have a 'storm cover' for the pop out bed? :rain:

Nope, not at this point, but it is on the to-do list. Trying to work out how to mount it to the lid is the harder bit. Having said that, we had gale force winds and rain on the weekend and there was no moisture or leaks into the van that I could see.

But yep, something I want to look into.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
looks great mate the window on the third bunk be great for some light? Did you get any sunshades as yet for it?
I really like how they do cut outs of the ladder I really starting to dis like the Jayco one that takes out half your walk way.

Yeah, preferred the vertical metal ladders of the older basestations. Our kids ended up breaking one of the plastic brackets on our Expanda just by lifting it lightly. And yep, always in the way. The cut out ladder on the loft bed actually are "pigeon holes" for the cupboard behind it, so storage not lost. And what do you know... 3 kids, 3 pigeon holes...

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Simalar to mine re weights i would like full size van see what happens

Really? That makes me a little happier then as she's a few hundred kegs heavier than our old Expanda.

Both Mrs Smergs and I were very happy with the differences the full height van brings. The set up time is down, and there is a lot less clutter around during it's use. It also means that the van presents "ready to use" in the backyard, which helps prepping for trips. The offset to this is a bigger sail on the back, but we'll wait until we get a few more trips under our belt before we can gauge exactly what that means to the hip pocket, fuel wise.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Almost the same as our 22.68 as well Tare 2305 ATM 2780.
With the Petrol D3 we went up a couple of litres from 17.58 to 22.68 fuel wise so you might be happy.

Yes ladder 17.58 they climbed up without it so left it at home :) now the 22.68 and triple bunk we have been taking it.. Thinking of a better solution.
Your Gecko still a sweet van :)

Reactions: bigcol and Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Almost the same as our 22.68 as well Tare 2305 ATM 2780.
With the Petrol D3 we went up a couple of litres from 17.58 to 22.68 fuel wise so you might be happy.

Yes ladder 17.58 they climbed up without it so left it at home :) now the 22.68 and triple bunk we have been taking it.. Thinking of a better solution.
Your Gecko still a sweet van :)

Hopefully the fuel won't be too bad. I'm thinking of possibly reflashing the ECU or chipping the Rock Truck with an exhaust to give it a bit more grunt, but I'm not sure. Still researching it all. Sits comfortably on the flat on 90-95 and wasn't straining but the wind and hills certainly had an effect. A few more drives to see what's "normal".

Due to size and weight should it be called Goanna ??????

The name is still a debate in the house. I like the BFG (Big Friendly Gecko) but wasn't met with support. I thought Gordon was innovative too but that was lost on the kids.

A serious case of envy prevails from all who check this out.

Thanks mate, we reckon it's pretty sweet and a layout that's been missing in family vans for some time.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Big Mal is 21ft, supposedly tops at 2.7t, more like 2.5t for just holiday touring, holiday touring load fuel went up about 2 per 100 overall, pushed me to high 14 to mid 15, moving house and loaded to the gunwhales with a bit of wind around we hit 18.3 but both van and tug had a big load...........I only get about 10.4 normally around town unloaded been thinking of a 3" system, will try a muffler delete and work from there, new system is about $1300, priced one the other day though would like a Steinbauer, FWHubs have made things a lot better to drive and can use low range on the hard stuff if needed plus saving CV's.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
image.png
What about reptar from the Rugrats ? It's a big lizard

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hopefully the fuel won't be too bad. I'm thinking of possibly reflashing the ECU or chipping the Rock Truck with an exhaust to give it a bit more grunt, but I'm not sure. Still researching it all. Sits comfortably on the flat on 90-95 and wasn't straining but the wind and hills certainly had an effect. A few more drives to see what's "normal".

The name is still a debate in the house. I like the BFG (Big Friendly Gecko) but wasn't met with support. I thought Gordon was innovative too but that was lost on the kids.

Thanks mate, we reckon it's pretty sweet and a layout that's been missing in family vans for some time.
I saw a nice big intercooler fitted to your car that helps a lot too .... exughst for me would be a must and a egt gauge

Reactions: bigcol