Stone Stomper's mods to our 16.49-3

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi I love the fan for the bedends, how did you go about making these?

Hi Johnstons,

The fans come with a small flat metal base so I bent each side slightly and the cut a slot out of some plastic electrical conduit then heated the conduit with a heat gun until I got a tight fitting when pushing on the bed support pole.

I cut the cigarette lighter fitting off and bought the jack connections from Jaycar so they can plug straight into the light.

Make sure if you buy the fans get the ones that are two speed.

Christian

image0001.jpg
image0002.jpg
image0003.jpg
image0004.jpg
image0001.jpg image0002.jpg image0003.jpg image0004.jpg

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi Johnstons,

The fans come with a small flat metal base so I bent each side slightly and the cut a slot out of some plastic electrical conduit then heated the conduit with a heat gun until I got a tight fitting when pushing on the bed support pole.

I cut the cigarette lighter fitting off and bought the jack connections from Jaycar so they can plug straight into the light.

Make sure if you buy the fans get the ones that are two speed.

Christian

View attachment 9020 View attachment 9021 View attachment 9022 View attachment 9023
The lights that come with the vans now have fans as part of that set up, i sup[pose you can buyt them direct from Jayco as a spare part, they are 2 speed and quite good!
Cheers

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Hi Stone Stomper have carried out the handle mod after already breaking some good idea. Quick question for you where did you get the quick release fitting from for your BBQ?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Christian, you're causing me some grief. My wife just looked at your van mod pics and now thinks I AM HOPELESS!
She loves the rope-less fly set up. Just one question; did you fit a pole socket at the bottom van end. or is it just a tension fit?
Looks like my next task. Great for overnighting while staying hitched.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Xpandafan, sorry for the late reply, on our way up to the Kimberley and going across the Gibb in a couple of days so had little service. I just got some rubber chair ends to go over the ends of the pole and then gave them a slight crimp in the vice and then they just sit in the bottom corner of the bed opening.

Regards

Christian

DSCN8881 (Small).JPG
DSCN8882 (Small).JPG
DSCN8883 (Small).JPG
Ropeless Fly's.JPG
DSCN8881 (Small).JPG DSCN8882 (Small).JPG DSCN8883 (Small).JPG Ropeless Fly's.JPG

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks Christian, no problem, it all makes complete sense now. Tempted fate today and took the cover off the van to make a start. I'll head off for some rubber leg tips in the morning and crimp the pole ends. Project Manager just looked over my shoulder and has given it the thumbs up. I've also decided to add a spreader at the botton of my privacy screens. I post some pics when I get it right. Then I can sell the spare guy ropes off on ebay! Have a great trip. – Bill

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I know, looking forward to it and it's nice and quiet here in Kununurra caravan park, we can have two sites as hardly anyone here apart from another Expanda of course.

Will do a write up when in Broome if the new tyres hold up.

At 100km that was not fun

image0002.jpg
image0003.jpg
image0002.jpg image0003.jpg

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
OUCH!, is everything okay?

When I was in Ligthning Ridge at Easter there was s tory of a lady driver who drove for about 100kms or so with a blown tyre because she didn't want to stop, there wan't much left of the rim.

Hope all goes smoothly from now on.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Christian whats goin on keep it together boy !!!!!! hope all is ok you need to visit the Hoochery after that ordeal ..

cheers Russell

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I guess you didn't notice it for a few Ks. Boy, it sure made a mess, even the plastic guard. Hope it didn't hurt anything underneath the van. Good luck and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
I guess you didn't notice it for a few Ks. Boy, it sure made a mess, even the plastic guard. Hope it didn't hurt anything underneath the van. Good luck and enjoy the rest of the trip.

Noticed within a micro second with the loudest bang your've ever heard followed by some swaying that was under control thanks to the electric brakes, then about 2 seconds after, the tyre dog let me know, a bit late then.

Only damage was the plastic outer but the rubber whipped around up to the hot water service cover.

This is what happens when you don't know for a few k's, the tyre dog would of been good here

image0002.jpg
image0003.jpg
image0004.jpg
image0002.jpg image0003.jpg image0004.jpg

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Sounds great, let us know how you go.

Christian
Hi Christian, had a drink for you tonight after seeing your latest posting! Sometimes there can just be too much excitement.
The "guy-rope-free" privacy screens are done, thanks to your guidance. I used some 1m luggage straps I had handy for the tensioners instead of Velcro
and I've added an adjustable spreader bar across the bottom at each end. All looks neat and trim and importantly Jenny (the Project Mgr) is happy. - Bill

NoGuyRopes1.jpgStrapTensioner.jpgSpreaderBar.jpgDetail1.jpgDetail2.jpg

Reactions: Smashing