Stone Stomper's mods to our 16.49-3

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Below is some pictures of the mods we have done over the last couple of years.

DSCN8435 (Small).JPG
DSCN8459 (Small).JPG
DSCN8444 (Small).JPG
DSCN8445 (Small).JPG
DSCN8446 (Small).JPG
DSCN8451 (Small).JPG
DSCN8462 (Small).JPG
DSCN8473 (Small).JPG
DSCN8496 (Small).JPG
DSCN8505 (Small).JPG
DSCN8667 (Small).JPG
DSCN8671 (Small).JPG
DSCN8672 (Small).JPG
DSCN8681 (Small).JPG
DSCN8882 (Small).JPG
Ropeless Fly's.JPG
Ropeless fly's (2).JPG
Dust cover.JPG
Pull out baskets.JPG
Swing out bike rack.JPG
Below is some pictures of the mods we have done over the last couple of years.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Wow, impressive mods. :gossip: Is that a trap door under fridge area? And what is the stap holding under the bed? Have you fitted a 3rd water tank and what is the white paste type stuff along the top? So many questions, maybe you could put some details on each of the pictures i.e. what they are, where they are and anything specifically pertinent. :typing:

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Thanks Chartrock,

Under the microwave I made a drawer instead of the flap and used full extension runners.

The velcro strap holds down the pole that's at an angle this allows rope-less fly's.

Yes I fitted an extra 90Lt tank but had to cut a slot so that the tank would fit over a cross beam under the floor, I just cut open some down pipe and heated with a heat gun then pop riveted and silicon-ed in place . We don't travel with the third tank full it's for when you go to a place that may only have one tap and we can then fill up all and also have a 55Lt in the car so we can top up from the car when needed.

I will try and post some more and tag them

Christian

DSCN8440 (Small).JPG
Volt and fridge temp gauge

DSCN8465 (Small).JPG
Water Filter for drinking water tank, 1 tank for drinking 2 for shower/sink

DSCN8466 (Small).JPG
Pura tap at sink

DSCN8469 (Small).JPG
Hot water switched moved

DSCN8492 (Small).JPG
One way valve on shower so that we don't have sink water coming up shower floor and also we only have one sulage outlet instead of Jayco's manifold

DSCN8493 (Small).JPG
Out side 12V

DSCN8665 (Small).JPG
BBQ quick connect gas fitting

DSCN8675 (Small).JPG
Spare tyre lifted

DSCN8842 (Small).JPG
Swing out bike rack

DSCN8844 (Small).JPG
Extra floor beam front and rear to stop the floor bounce

DSCN8845 (Small).JPG
Cut slots in handles to stop the breaking of the handles

DSCN8886 (Small).JPG
Lifted hitch to level van

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
OMG Christian, have you set the cat among the pigeons with those ideas. I can see me having work to do on the van for months to come. :hurt: But what the heck, I'm off for a 3 month trip so, maybe later. Have just ordered some LED lamps for replacing existing incandescants and to fit to a roof console I am part way through making for my tug.

Thanks again for a great informative post.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Christian i love your work!

Your Expanda is an inspiration thats for sure. Hope you get to use it heaps!

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Thanks Moto,

Every 6 weeks we make a long weekend away, we have some great free spots here in Adelaide within a 3hr drive, ocean to the riverland.

Christian

image0079.jpg
Port Lincoln N/P +3hr

image0012.jpg
Lake Bonney, Riverland

image0007.jpg
Just out of Blanchtown

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Christian, a question. You say you have a tank for drinking water and 2 for shower etc. How do you separate the pumping for them, do you have a second pump or do you just use taps to switch between tanks.

Paul

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Paul,

The drinking tank, I have installed another pressure pump under the sink with an inline tap so that when connected to mains we have filtered water from the mains without the pump running.

The other two tanks are linked together with a inline tap, the tap stops water going from one to the other when only using one tank, we have 3 separate fillers.

When the factory pump runs the shower/sink and basin this draws from the two showering tanks but also can draw from the drinking tank if needed by turning Jaycos tap they installed for the tanks under the van but the drinking tap cannot pull from the shower tanks.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Christian
image0001.jpg
image0002.jpg
image0003.jpg
image0004.jpg
image0006.jpg
image0007.jpg

image0001.jpg image0002.jpg image0003.jpg

image0004.jpg image0006.jpg image0007.jpg

Reactions: Ligedy

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks for all that, Christian. I figured 2 pumps would be needed, but all the other pipe works is amazing. But I do need to do something similar as I would like to be able to have a separate drinking water tank although I can't justify a 3rd tank. :clap2:

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I have never seen a Expanda with so many well thought out Mods!:hail:

I would also like to find out were you got those Led inserts from too?

Keep the mods coming!

Skip

WA

ol'nissan man

Jun 23, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hello Christian,
Love your work! Well thought out mods, - you've got me thinking of improvements I can make to my van.
I'm interested in getting some of the LED's to replace the standard bulbs, but my last experience with LED's was disappointing, as the light quality was poor. How good is the light from the one's you have fitted?
Cheers,
Ol'nissan man

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Thanks Ol'nissan man, the light is very different, the other half did not want me to change the two ceiling lights as she likes the yellow warm feel, I think you can get led's in a warm colour, ours in all the other lights I have changed have a tinge of blue.

Christian

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
Great mods Stomper........I am interested in the fan that plugs into the light jack.......where did you get it from? Did you have to add the 12 volt light jack?
:thumb:

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
Thanks Bigman........I would be interested in getting one with the jack plug rather than the ciggie lighter plug so I could plug it into the point on the van light.....can you get them with the jack or would I have to retrofit the jack plug?:confused:

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Triton, yes I changed the cigarette lighter fitting to the jack, I got the jacks from Jaycar electronics for a couple of dallars each.

To connect the fan to the pole I just used some plastic electrical conduit and cut a small piece out of the middle then heated with a heat gun and pushed around a smaller size pipe until cooled then pop riveted the conduit to the fan base.

Our fan is similar to Bigman's ours just have a two speed controller box for hi and low.

Christian