Stone Stomper's mods to our 16.49-3

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Hi stone stomper,

Just a quick question, were abouts did u get the wire draws from? I have been looking every were for them & can not find that size. Thanks for your help. Great mods.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Lisao, the baskets are from Howard storage, but had to trim down the metal edge slightly to fit the drawer runners. My mates H/L model 16.49-3 has a smaller opening in his cupboard so he had to use a smaller drawer and pack out the cupboard slightly with timber.

image0001.jpg
image0004.jpg
image0006.jpg
image0007.jpg
image0011.jpg
image0013.jpg
image0001.jpg image0004.jpg image0006.jpg image0007.jpg image0011.jpgimage0013.jpg

Reactions: Cookie

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
Thanks alot for the info and photos. We also have a smaller opening, so we will have to pack the sides as well. I have just googled Howard storage, will be making a trip tomorrow. Thanks

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi Christian,
Just looking at your great pics of your mods & I have a question. Chartrock asked the same but I dont see an answer yet.
The flap under the floor, is that under the fridge? Just wondering what those 4 holes are??? We have a 16.49.1 on order due for delivery mid November & I'm already looking at what mods I will need.
Thanks,
Paul PMK

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Paul,

For some reason I thought Chartrock was talking about the flap under the microwave, the holes are for the Heron 2.2 A/C, four on one side of the chassis and two on the otherside, so the flap hinges up to block off the holes and theres a small flap on the other side the same. The next van I will go for a house hold inverter domestic split.

They work well as we have has no dust or water in.

Christian

Reactions: PMK

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Hi Paul,

For some reason I thought Chartrock was talking about the flap under the microwave, the holes are for the Heron 2.2 A/C, four on one side of the chassis and two on the otherside, so the flap hinges up to block off the holes and theres a small flap on the other side the same. The next van I will go for a house hold inverter domestic split.

They work well as we have has no dust or water in.

Christian

Ah! OK, Thats good. We actually deleted the A/C from our order so I wont have to worry about that mod. Those big holes in the floor were worrying me a bit. Just one more hole to cover up when off the bitumen.
I was also thinking about an aftermarket split system but thats not a priority for us. We've done without for a long time now, though we do have the 12v fans in our Eagle that I am moving into the expanda when we get it.
Thanks,
Paul PMK

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Paul,

The only thing is resale of your van as A/C like it is now in cars is expected like a standard option.

I think in a forum I read before one of the inverter domestic systems are now offering a warranty when installed in a van, which is worth a look.

Christian

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
Thanks Christian,
Thats the main comment I got from this forum (resale) but the negetive comments about noise & the fact we are on a limited budget had us deciding to leave it out. We intend to bush camp alot of the time also so power would become a problem & I don't want to get a generator. I might loose on resale but I saved on purchase price. This went towards the larger fridge & the oven option which we would use more.
Thanks for the info, Now just to wait for delivery in November......................
Paul

mcgonical

Sep 6, 2011
Canberra
Questions about your mods

Where did you get the gas quick connect fitting? I have the same BBQ, did you have to change the whole gas lead - mine has a regular / intensity dial built into the gas lead to the BBQ and so I figure I would need to source quick connect fittings for the gas line and for the end of the existing BBQ lead.

Do you find the air-cond flap works well? I don't know what they were thinking to stick such huge holes in the floor of an outback camper but I like what you have done to prevent water / dust ingress. I'd need to stick a flag on the air-cond switch to stop me turning the unit on with the floor flap shut.

Love the shampoo dispenser idea.

Thanks for taking the time to post the info and photos. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Mcgonical,

With the bbq I had a place here in Adelaide make up a new hose with an inline tap at the bbq end as we did not need the regulator on the bbq with the connection on the regulated side of the regulator on the van, if that makes sense.

I now have seen bunnings sell the quick connect I think for about $19.

Yes the A/C flaps work a treat, you just have to remember when they are closed if using the A/C, heating is fine with them closed.

Christian

image0012.jpg
image0012.jpg

Reactions: mcgonical

mcgonical

Sep 6, 2011
Canberra
Thanks for the info

Thanks I'll check out Bunnings. I had asked at a gas place about having a quick connect hose made up but they seemed pretty reluctant to do anything and went on and on about unregulated and regulated gas lines etc, etc. Seems if you ask the right people you can get what you need.

I think I'll make the air cond. flaps one of the first exterior mods to our unit. After that I'll need to do something about all the exposed air cond., water and electrical lines for long dirt road trips.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers.

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hey Christian,

Couple of questions for you on all your great modifications.

1. Where did you get the outside draw done? The one leading into the front section of the van? Was this done when you purchased it or added after?

2. The third picture on your original post, (2nd one down on the left) what is that protecting?

3. What is the white round thing that is mounted near the DVD player?

4. Are those AC holes underneath only on the Heron AC, as I think I have a dometic one?

Thanks heaps always good to have more modifications to think about.

Richard

Doggy

Aug 20, 2011
Cairns , NTH QLD
Hey Stomper of Stones.

I have to say, U R an IDEAS MAN !!!!!!!

You need to be called Steve Kerrigan !!!!!!!! ( Movie , The Castle , for people that dont know what I am on about ! )

Love the river crossing mate. Does any water get in the van that you notice ?

Cheers the Dog & family.

Yes, I have had a couple of Great Northern beers. A Must try if Southerners cannot get them if or when they make there travels north bound to FNQ.

Cheers IDEAS MAN ! Lol ! Good one mate.

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Hi Richard,

With the side drawer I made that from thin ply about 7mm and used full extension runners.

Not sure on the picture you mean

The round white thing is a satellite dish for free to air tv

Not sure on other brands of A/C but the Herron 2.2 has them

Thanks

Christian

Hey Christian,

Couple of questions for you on all your great modifications.

1. Where did you get the outside draw done? The one leading into the front section of the van? Was this done when you purchased it or added after?

2. The third picture on your original post, (2nd one down on the left) what is that protecting?

3. What is the white round thing that is mounted near the DVD player?

4. Are those AC holes underneath only on the Heron AC, as I think I have a dometic one?

Thanks heaps always good to have more modifications to think about.

Richard

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Thanks Doggy, the mods make the van alot easier to use.

No water in with the 3 deep crossings we had but it would be different if we had got stuck.

Thanks again

Christian

Hey Stomper of Stones.

I have to say, U R an IDEAS MAN !!!!!!!

You need to be called Steve Kerrigan !!!!!!!! ( Movie , The Castle , for people that dont know what I am on about ! )

Love the river crossing mate. Does any water get in the van that you notice ?

Cheers the Dog & family.

Yes, I have had a couple of Great Northern beers. A Must try if Southerners cannot get them if or when they make there travels north bound to FNQ.

Cheers IDEAS MAN ! Lol ! Good one mate.

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hi Richard,

With the side drawer I made that from thin ply about 7mm and used full extension runners.

Not sure on the picture you mean

The round white thing is a satellite dish for free to air tv

Not sure on other brands of A/C but the Herron 2.2 has them

Thanks

Christian

The picture looks as though it is from the step coming into the van.

Thanks for the other info.

Richard