Prado v Everest - Decision time

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Got my hands on the Toyota one for only $375
Refresh my memory Doug but not sure if the Toyota WDH hasn't got an adjustable shank? Fairly sure the one they wanted to swap me as part of the 120 series recall wasn't... If you lift it you might need adjustable!

My suspension upgrade/lift was approved by Mrs Dagree only because I said we need it done to be able to tow the van 8-)

Reactions: bigcol

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Refresh my memory Doug but not sure if the Toyota WDH hasn't got an adjustable shank? Fairly sure the one they wanted to swap me as part of the 120 series recall wasn't... If you lift it you might need adjustable!

My suspension upgrade/lift was approved by Mrs Dagree only because I said we need it done to be able to tow the van 8-)

Yep it has got an adjustable shank multiple mounting heights. Hopefully enough mounting locations to allow the 2inchs of lift.
Yota WDH.JPG

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Just come back from towing the Panda down south. What can I say, the 2.8l Prado pulls the Panda really well. Used 14l/100km for the whole trip which I am very happy with considering we sat on 100km/h and the V6 was using 23l/100 on the equivalent trip. The WDH made a noticeable difference to the front to back pos of the of the Prado (no sag) and no see sawing affect when going over bumps. There was 2 hills where the Prado would not go faster than 90km/h but they were pretty steep and required trucks use low gear when coming down. I added a transmission cooler which was a good idea as the temp did not go over 92 deg while in S mode 5th gear which seemed to be a far better gear than recommended 4th by the Toyota manual. The torque converter temp did not go above 107deg and would drop rapidly once the converter relocked. Overall very happy with the new purchase.

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
Tell me more about the temp gauges your running @Doug ? I never even knew those were things worth monitoring!
Im really loving my 2.8L. It really is impressive on and off road.

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Tell me more about the temp gauges your running @Doug ? I never even knew those were things worth monitoring!
Im really loving my 2.8L. It really is impressive on and off road.

Its the Scangauge II from http://scangauge.com.au/. Worth every cent I paid for it. Highly recommend watching temps like the Transmission as it stresses the gearbox when towing if you dont use 4th gear. What sort of fuel usage have you been getting from yours? Have you modified yours at all? I have lifted ours 2inch with Bilstein/King spring setup and its improved handling out of sight.

Reactions: bigcol

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
Ill check that gauge out @Doug
Im getting 16s when towing. I have an ARB steel bullbar, lights and roofracks. Im just starting to look at suspensions. I think someone else on this site got a GMV upgrade using Bilstein/King setup from Malaga Suspensions. What made you go with that combo?

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
I had a previous 120 series with the Bilstein/dobinson setup and prior Prado king springs and they have been the gold standards for me. Went through some heavily corrugated road on the weekend and it soaked most of it up. I cant get the GMV upgrade as I have a VX but I can take the rear seat setup out which would free up quite some weight. Is the 16s towing with which Jayco model? Mines the 16.49-3 Poptop with water tanks empty.

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
@Doug towing a 16.49.4, full of everything for a family and with full water and battery

I'm betting with the extra 160l or so of water and the extra 200kg of weight that would not help with the 16's for consumption. I have noticed that when it rains or its windy it affects drag considerably when towing the caravan. What sort of consumption do you reckon the 2.8l would get if it were towing the full 2500kg?