Prado v Everest - Decision time

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
Well the test drives are over. Its time to buy a new car!
Rulled out the Fortuner. A tad too small, and felt use like to drive, even with the springs in the rear.

New 2.8L Prado GXL. Quoted $63990 + $550 for paint. Can get after market tow kit for $700. (Or $1100 for the genuin kit) So $65240.
New Everest Trend. Quoted $63990. Includes paint, satnav and tow kit.

So $1250 premium for the toyota. What do I get for that? Long range tanks are handy. The keyless entry is pretty nifty. The new 2.8L is suprisingly quiet to drive, and does (to me) drive better then the 3L it replaces, although Ive no idea how it tows. Im more inclined to think the Toyota will hold its value.
But the Everest - it drives well. Id say slightly better around town with its light steering and its electronic aids. Its dash is nice with 2 electronic screens for trip info. And its rear electric close door seems more user friendy then the Prado barn door.

I would feel equally happy driving either of them. Wifey prefers the look of the Prado. (Doesnt like the yank front end of the F truck!) So Im trying to split hairs.

Whats everyone elses opinion of these 2 tugs?

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
The tow limits dont really concern me with my 16.49.4. Im under 1900kg max trailer weight.
Re the blue oval. Ive just had a petrol Territory, and it was a briliant car. Drove superp and never had an issue. However, my wifes 2014 Focus with 11 thousand k's has already had a gearbox replaced, and Im still not happy wit the results. I think they will end up changing it out again. There is a known issue with it, so Im not thrilled.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @Jimbo I am going to be a bit biased, have a facelift 2014 Prado and love it. For me the availability of aftermarket accessories and the fact it is a Toyota would steer my vote. Downside is the towing is still only 2.5T which I assume is a bit less than the Everest, but depends what you are towing, I tow a 2014 17-56.2 OB which has an ATM of just under 2.4T and it tows like a dream.

Good luck with the decision I am sure either vehicle will be great for you

Any particular questions you have about the Prado happy to answer, understand the engine has changed and it is now 6 speed but the rest is pretty much the same.........

Reactions: Jimbo

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I like the look of the Everresting, but
as @SMJ *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* has found out - a tow kit is a long wait to get.................

I also agree with @burnsie
- goodies (accessories) are easy to find and plentiful
- the resale of Toyboatas is always good, so in a long run, your not loosing too much
- (I didnt say this out load) Toyboatas are quite comfy for long distance - towing & touring

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Yes we just looked at the Fortuner and yes it's a little small.
Re sale toyotas hold the money.
Although if you upgrade the van the Everest toes more
For us did not think we get car seats in the Everest and Prado cannot tow our van.
Hard choice personally if your happy 2500 towing I go Prado
Or you could go another diesel Territory a lot less cash

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I also agree with @burnsie
- goodies (accessories) are easy to find and plentiful
- the resale of Toyboatas is always good, so in a long run, your not loosing too much
- (I didnt say this out load) Toyboatas are quite comfy for long distance - towing & touring

Copied and saved this comment for future reference :rofl:

Reactions: bigcol

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
@burnsie do you need weight distribution bars to tow with yours, or does the Prado suspension hold up OK on its own?

Yeh I had made enquiries on after market parts on teh Everest and noticed nobody has them yet. Does anyone know what ARB charge for a deluxe bullbar for teh Prado? As the Toyota one is ugly as sin.

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
Also, is the $1100 Toyota tow kit any diferent/better then the $700 Hayman Reece kit? Or is the $400 premium just an expensive warranty?

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
@burnsie do you need weight distribution bars to tow with yours, or does the Prado suspension hold up OK on its own?

Yeh I had made enquiries on after market parts on teh Everest and noticed nobody has them yet. Does anyone know what ARB charge for a deluxe bullbar for teh Prado? As the Toyota one is ugly as sin.

Hey @Jimbo yeah currently running upgraded suspension and a WDH, although just completed a GVM upgrade on my Prado which included bags in the rear and when I put the WDH on now it is loose :) so am going to give it a run without it as I also want to use an offload hitch other than the standard 50mm, have always been told to upgrade the suspension especially if towing as the stock suits a mix of on road and off road.

Accessories for the Prado are everywhere, mine is mainly fitted out with the ARB stuff, the deluxe winch compatible steel bull bar you are looking at about $2750 fitted well thats what I paid about a year ago, also ARB do a alloy one now as well for the Prado which might suit and if you are not thinking about travelling to remote, looks a little better than the Toyota one

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
forgot to mention @Jimbo get them to throw the towbar in, usually they give you mats but usually you can get a bit more out of them (Thats if you decide to go with the Prado ;)) otherwise I believe there is a wait for the Everest ones......

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
@Jimbo if you're not towing over 2500kg I would say the Prado based on tried and true technology although new donk? I would wait a bit on the Everest until there is a few out there to get a real feel for them. And as said accesories for the Prado are endless compared to the Everest. I still think the Everest is a good looking jigger though.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Everest.......nuff said.

I've recently been driving my mates 2011 Prado and it bangs and rattles like you wouldn't believe, it's terrible.
It does have a few kays on it though, but still, boring car.

I'm not a Toyota fan one little bit, they have nothing I'd ever consider buying. They seem to trade on the, "cos Toyota" mantra.
Don't be a sheep, be a leader.

Do you really need all the accessories available right now for whatever you purchase, if not, that's an irrelevent argument.

We've had 3 new Fords over the last 10 years and all have been faultless.
I've had a petrol Territory, turbo petrol Territory (tuned too, hosed all HSV's ;);) @Holden_man )
Wife currently has a 2012 Focus.
I almost went for another Territory but the 2.7 TD lacks power and torque for my liking, hence the Jeep

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hmmmm! This has been an interesting thread to read. For me personally, I would consider the Everest over the Prado. The engine has been around for a while now and if you are concerned about issues developing, you can opt for the Ford genuine extended warranty giving you 6 years and 200,000 Kms warranty. Add to that fixed price servicing and free loan car when it's in for service. Both are good cars. Toyota has lived off its past success for some time, which has led to its competitors to produce better equipped cars in my opinion. Either way I don't think you'll be disappointed in your decision.
Cheers
Nick

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
being a prado owner for the last 8 years I am probably a little biased but a few years ago I nearly bought a PX Ranger. I love that 5 cylinder motor with nearly 500Nm of torque. I haven't seen an Everest in the flesh yet but do like the concept. What concerns me with the update Prado is the size of the new motor. The same with the Colorado. All that power and torque from 2.8L. To me the runs aren't on the board yet.