Prado v Everest - Decision time

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Well the test drives are over. Its time to buy a new car!
Rulled out the Fortuner. A tad too small, and felt use like to drive, even with the springs in the rear.

New 2.8L Prado GXL. Quoted $63990 + $550 for paint. Can get after market tow kit for $700. (Or $1100 for the genuin kit) So $65240.
New Everest Trend. Quoted $63990. Includes paint, satnav and tow kit.

So $1250 premium for the toyota. What do I get for that? Long range tanks are handy. The keyless entry is pretty nifty. The new 2.8L is suprisingly quiet to drive, and does (to me) drive better then the 3L it replaces, although Ive no idea how it tows. Im more inclined to think the Toyota will hold its value.
But the Everest - it drives well. Id say slightly better around town with its light steering and its electronic aids. Its dash is nice with 2 electronic screens for trip info. And its rear electric close door seems more user friendy then the Prado barn door.

I would feel equally happy driving either of them. Wifey prefers the look of the Prado. (Doesnt like the yank front end of the F truck!) So Im trying to split hairs.

Whats everyone elses opinion of these 2 tugs?
I can't speak highly enough for the prado our 07 diesel is the best car I will eva own towing our 1756-2 outback it did it easy Adelaide to Melbourne no fuel stops half a tank last tank left misses can get 1200 to 1400 ks around town its the bees knees a VX model
they are a proven good car very electronic but not as bad as the ford so how will the ford be in 10 15 years ?????? no one knows im not knocking fords im sure they are very good to hard decision good luck

Reactions: dagree and burnsie

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Maybe it is just me as I am a current Prado owner but I didn't think the payload was too bad :), GVM - Kerb Weight (Which includes fuel and all fluids) ends up being 675kg on the GXL Auto Diesel......

https://www.toyota.com.au/owners/accessories/payload

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 8.07.35 PM.png

Reactions: dagree

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Reactions: burnsie

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
Also both dealers are telling me they woudl wire up the trailer plugs to what ever format I wanted. So that includes the 12 pin flat to match the Expanda. I presume I would need to give them a copy of the wiring guide from the vans manual.
I wonder if they would also run an Anderson plug cable while they are at it??

Reactions: burnsie and bigcol

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
At risk of high jacking this thread, what's involved in a GVM upgrade?

@PeterV Check this out http://www.arb.com.au/products/old-man-emu-4x4-suspension/gvm-upgrades/

Other companies and suspension places do them as well, but this was the first site with some reasonable info about it :)

I wonder if they would also run an Anderson plug cable while they are at it??

Hey @Jimbo yeah get them to do it at the same time, they have to run the cable from the front for the trailer plugs may as well get the Anderson cables run at the same time, I also ran some extra cables for camera and also some 12V sockets much easier to run them all together

Reactions: Rockape and PeterV

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
From my test drives of all 3, I would agree with most of that cars guide comparison. The Everest does feel a little sharper to drive. I actually like the lighter steering. However it does not handle the bumps like the Prado did. And the fitout looks more modern, but cheap.
Rear seats look more comfortable in the Prado, which is a big deal with 2 growing boys. I can see the rear barn door being annoying sometime too. But the long range tanks of Prado are a big plus.
Im thinking if the biggest negative of the Prado is the slight lack of power/torque compared to Everest, I can probably fix that with a chip. Not sure if anyone is doing them for the new 2.8L though.
But I'm coming to the conclusion that what ever one I decide, ill be happy :)

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
Hey @Jimbo getting a Steinbauer module fitted to mine next month, I did ask them about the new engine etc and they hinted it is already in development so assume it won't be long. DP Chip will probably just re-tune theirs so might come out earlier as well.

Might create another post but this has also just been released, not a power chip but in combination with one it would work really well

http://www.plugngo.com.au (Assume there are also other similar products out there that do the same thing that can help)

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
@burnsie I have not heard of Steinbauer before. Ill have a read up. But that is one of my thoughts or addressing the perceived lack of power. But to be honest, my test drive did not leave me thinking it was lacking. Hitching up the panda might change those thoughts though.

Reactions: burnsie

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Not unless you remove it before taking it to the dealer:D

I've chipped my Jeep. That was and is still one of my biggest concerns, the lack of power and torque in diesels.
I came from a tuned petrol Territory turbo and the power and torque that thing had was awesome, even when towing.
I used to be able to overtake with the van on some uphill overtaking lanes in 100km/h zones with ease with that thing, so when it came time to replace it, I was trying to get something that would come close, the chipped Jeep is almost as quick, less kw but very similar torque numbers..