Prado v Everest - Decision time

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
I went with the steel ARB deluxe bar. It's about 25kg heavier the the alloy, but stronger. And I try head up to Exmouth and coral bay at least once a year, and have had a couple very close calls with wildlife, so was more interested in strength.
I has a real good look at the smart bar that they sell, which is the "plastic" bar. By all accounts it performs better in every way compared to steel, but it looks naf, and cost $500 more. But if they ever make them look like the steel ones, I'd buy one.

Reactions: bigcol and burnsie

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I has a real good look at the smart bar that they sell, which is the "plastic" bar. By all accounts it performs better in every way compared to steel, but it looks naf, and cost $500 more. But if they ever make them look like the steel ones, I'd buy one.

if they ever make them look like ANY type of bar, they would look better...............

Reactions: dagree and burnsie

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
Feeling slightly more comfortable with the decision @Holden_man . But I do hope ford work out the issue asap.
I'm in Dubai today, and there are Prado's and LC's everywhere, as well as Tundra's and a few Dodge Rams. Haven't seen any Everest's here yet, possibly a bit too hot here for them :)
image.jpeg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
if they ever drop the "Landcruiser" from a Playdoh, I may look at them

but until then

yeatch...................................

Jimbo

Sep 29, 2015
Perth
Hitched up the panda to the Prado for the first time today for some test k' s to check the wiring and break controller. VERY impressed with the the Prado. Exceeded my towing expectations. It basically did not notice the 1800kg behind it. Was running Rpm about 200 higher then usual at the same speed. Tried a steep hill, and it did drop back a gear and held it just under 3000rpm the whole way up, did not try and kick down.

So all in all, I'm very happy with the 2.8L.

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Hitched up the panda to the Prado for the first time today for some test k' s to check the wiring and break controller. VERY impressed with the the Prado. Exceeded my towing expectations. It basically did not notice the 1800kg behind it. Was running Rpm about 200 higher then usual at the same speed. Tried a steep hill, and it did drop back a gear and held it just under 3000rpm the whole way up, did not try and kick down.

So all in all, I'm very happy with the 2.8L.

I'll be up for my first tow down south in 2 weeks will report back how it went for me. 10 mins of towing showed I need to get a WDH and modify the suspension as its too soft.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
what tyres have you got on that @Jimbo .............?

and yours as well @Doug ........??

I think the tyres have a lot to do with the way the Playdoh handles.........
@dagree is running BFGoodrich - and isn't using a WDH

just curious

Reactions: dagree

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
what tyres have you got on that @Jimbo .............?

and yours as well @Doug ........??

I think the tyres have a lot to do with the way the Playdoh handles.........

just curious

Just the stock 18inch AT22's with 40 PSI. No the back sagged significantly with the caravan empty and only 120kg on the ball. Chains dragging on the ground and too low to reconnect the jockey wheel.

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Bridgestone Duellers worked OK also

the back sagged significantly with the caravan empty and only 120kg on the ball.
Sounds like a suspension upgrade required first off..... One thing to try first though is hook the van onto the Prado with a WDH Setup (If you can borrow one that is) and see if it helps.

Reactions: bigcol

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Bridgestone Duellers worked OK also

Sounds like a suspension upgrade required first off..... One thing to try first though is hook the van onto the Prado with a WDH Setup (If you can borrow one that is) and see if it helps.

Got my hands on the Toyota one for only $375. Just waiting for the Prado's suspension to be given a 2inch lift Bilstein/dobinsons setup,and then I will setup the WDH. The WDH in theory should get rid of the back end sag without the lift but I intend to use the Prado off road as well so would like the 2 inch extra height