17' Series New Jayco Bed End Covers!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Now very frustrated with the bed end covers. $800 spent and still have wet bedding>:( I hear you Brother, I hear you
As I wrote in a previous post the water runs off the hinges, along the hard lid and behind the cover but now have discovered it also pools on top of the the bed end. Just needed to vent, kids in the van so can not verbalise what I am thinking :censored:
never let a good excuse to throw a wobblie pass by - takes the fun out of discovering a stuffup if you dont........

Did see in the for sale section a van that had a cover over the hinges for this very reason.

I was thinking along the lines of a thin piece of rubber - sikaflexed to the body, OVER that damn hinge, and make it past the BEF
hopeing the water would travel along the rubber and down
or
at least stop water from getting through from the Hinge

Reactions: jandl

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Gotta wonder about Jayco. due to bad design the bed ends leak, so a couple of small businesses step up and and offer a fix for the problem. After quite some years Jayco recognizes that there is yet another dollar to be made with bed end covers, so in they jump with a cheaper version but in true Jayco fashion the bed end still leaks with their cover fitted:(
I love my van but some of the things Jayco have gone about doing things amuses me no end.
Some members of the forum have said Jayco read this forum and take notice, I don't reckon:lol:

Im sure you are being sarcastic there @crustt

a manufacture actually listening to there customers?

what planet ARE you from......................?????

I think they read it and go "hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha" thats about all...............

Reactions: davemc and dagree

Janbo

Feb 19, 2014
Adelaide
You wait, they'll bring out the cover to cover the cover 

They have one planned and luckily I have a pic for you....
simpsons movie dome.png

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
Afternoon All,
Currently sitting at Swimcart Beach on the east coast of Tassie enjoying the school holidays with the wife and kids and ever since we arrived it has been blowing and I must say that if the bed end covers where a about an inch bigger at the top maybe not even the wind would blow them off. I was out in the wind last night removing the front cover as 1 side had already removed itself from the hard lid so took it rigt off and put in the van.
As for the rain test, it has just started so I hope the wind stops otherwise we might have wet bed ends, shall let you know how we go.

I have made a call to Jayco to let them know how disappointed I am especially given the $'s spent, the sales man is away until next week so Ill be chatting to him then.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Our bed ends are a snug fit but had the same issue (One side pulled right out of the sail track).... Got a pair of pliers and carefully squashed the "female" stud and refitted. Seemed to do the job for the rest of the weekend.

Will see how it goes and might get some heavy duty studs, replace the existing and maybe add a couple/few more to each end.

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
I agree with your idea Dagree, thought I would add a couple more studs to each bed end.

We didn't get wet either, had a fair bit of rain.
I did note from inside looking at each corner of the hard lids that water was dripping/flowing down from the hinge, not sure how much water would cause a issue there, time will tell.
Sun is shining so best go pack up and move to our next destination.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Well after suffering wet mattress, pillows and sheets yesterday at inverloch, we will be investing in covers.
Anyone bought the ones on eBay? I think a new forum member sells them.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Well after suffering wet mattress, pillows and sheets yesterday at inverloch, we will be investing in covers.
Anyone bought the ones on eBay? I think a new forum member sells them.
I would recommend the ones from Holiday Annexes. May be more expensive but tested to ensure it fits Expanda!
Complete kit, precut tracks, holes, rivets. Only need drill, 1/8" bit, silicon and about 1 hour of spare time.
http://www.holidayannexes.com.au/products-services/bed-end-flys
Make sure you specify front BEF, rear BEF are a different size, length.
BEF fits perfectly, long enough even to tuck around next to the hinge although I did add a small ridge of silicon to force water to run away from the hinge to the side and not back onto BE (untested as yet, hasn't rained here since installed)
Also have annotated instructions that I can send if needed.
I bought mine before Jayco started making them, but from what I have read, not sure if Jayco's have great quality control.
Holiday annexes guarantee theirs and can be called if you have queries etc, I did, instant satisfaction.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I bought mine before Jayco started making them, but from what I have read, not sure if Jayco's have great quality control.

Bahahahahaha, you crack me up Marv_mart, Jayco and QC in the same sentence..............actually I must be strange as I would probably buy another Jayco even though QC is a dream to them....yep I'm weird.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Bahahahahaha, you crack me up Marv_mart, Jayco and QC in the same sentence..............actually I must be strange as I would probably buy another Jayco even though QC is a dream to them....yep I'm weird.
Yep, me too! Very happy with previous Jayco Penguin OB.:clap2:
Travelled 17,500km Aust 1/2 circle to the west.
Upgraded to 14.44-5 OB because we wanted shower and on-suite.
No real issues and have heard other brands also have QC issues. Just completed another 10,300km Aust 1/2 circle to the East with no real issues. Did mods to this one a bit to make things more comfortable tho, learnt from previous experiences travelling long distances. :first:

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Yep, me too! Very happy with previous Jayco Penguin OB.:clap2:
Travelled 17,500km Aust 1/2 circle to the west.
Upgraded to 14.44-5 OB because we wanted shower and on-suite.
No real issues and have heard other brands also have QC issues. Just completed another 10,300km Aust 1/2 circle to the East with no real issues. Did mods to this one a bit to make things more comfortable tho, learnt from previous experiences travelling long distances. :first:
A mate of mine ordered his new 20ft "other than Jayco" caravan just before we ordered our Jayco at the end of July. Moments before taking his $5k deposit they gave him a promised delivery start of Oct. As off today they still haven't bothered to organise his chassis yet, and the are very intermittent with returning his calls. They are presently way too busy at the moment with the Leisurefest and all that to discuss it, but will possible/maybe get back to him next week after the show.

Over 2 months without starting ......... Jayco may have pox QC, and maybe bugger some stuff up but at least they build them ..... and fix them

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as has been said before, the QC (what the hell is that anyway................) is way below expected standard for the cost of these toys

however, they DO make up for it with after sales service............

mind you, if they got the QC right, they wouldn't need to spend so much on after sales service

but meh, what would I know, they run their business, not me........

Reactions: Drover and dagree

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
A mate of mine ordered his new 20ft "other than Jayco" caravan just before we ordered our Jayco at the end of July. Moments before taking his $5k deposit they gave him a promised delivery start of Oct. As off today they still haven't bothered to organise his chassis yet, and the are very intermittent with returning his calls. They are presently way too busy at the moment with the Leisurefest and all that to discuss it, but will possible/maybe get back to him next week after the show.

Over 2 months without starting ......... Jayco may have pox QC, and maybe bugger some stuff up but at least they build them ..... and fix them
I'd love to know the name of the company

Reactions: skippy

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
would be tempting, but...........

just think, in a perfect world, a Company would listen to their customers, and try and arrange so that the good suggestions are incorporated, and if your paying, why the hell can you not have the door upside down if you want it.........

ahhhhhhh have to pinch myself, I think I'm dreaming........