17' Series New Jayco Bed End Covers!

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
IMG_20140925_173530_798.jpg IMG_20140925_173541_759.jpg IMG_20140925_173552_124.jpg

some pics, just 'cos. Still waiting to hear back...

jono

Apr 25, 2014
Hi there. I'm new to these forums, I'm the guy that has designed and made the hard lid gutter and bed end storm/weather covers on Ebay. The gutter is a simple thing to fit and you don't have to take it on and off. You only need to fit four screws. I took my van through some heavy rain recently and not one drop of water on the beds. The photo on Ebay doesn't show everything. This gutter is fitted to the underside of the hard lid so it looks like it is part of the van and does look like an add on.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Called Jayco head office today and spoke to parts & servicing, they spoke to Jayco R&D who cofirmed that the studs for the bed ends are supposed to be fitted under the lid on the first rim. I am waiting to hear back from Adelaide Caravan Co.......not happy!
I thought so, see instructions I have made available earlier.
Best of luck getting it fixed and hopefully getting BFEs that fit properly.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
First use of the Jayco bed end covers in Walpole last night and mostly all good. As others have found the ends near the hinge allowed water onto the canvas. Appreciate any thoughts on how to stop it. Thinking of some type of cover over the hinge to allow the water to run off to the outside of the cover.
View attachment 26405 View attachment 26406
I ran a small ridge of white silicon from the hinge to the outer edge to force the water over the edge on the side rather than past the hinge and onto the Bed End roof.
Can post a pic when I next get to me van on the 3rd Oct if you wish

Reactions: bigcol

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Mine is still in the box it came in and that is partly as I have been away and partly because I am still a bit don't be rude that these are all made in China. Now it seems that my lack of faith in Quality from that manufacturing country may be well founded by what I am reading in this thread.

Not crying before I am hit, but there is not a chance I will be modifying anything - I have paid good money and want something that works first time without bastardisation. It doesn't fit, it goes straight back.

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
my thoughts was to
run a piece of white Ali angle (50x75)the full width of the van, above the Hinge, with a slight bend in the middle, so the water still came down from the top, but went along the angle - like a gutter.......

still thinking (and the wheels are turning, so the mouse isn't dead yet........)

see what pops out when I concentrate.

The only drawback I can see to the ally angle is that unless it was angled perfectly to sit flush with the opened lid , driving rain from the front would still hit the hinge.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
honestly, I don't know. BUT I assume they have a standard instruction on how/where to fit the sail track and 4 press studs per end. the ends were perfectly rolled up in little zip up bags and didn't look like they had been unrolled at all. there is no way they've ever fitted properly..

One thing I have learned from this forum and owning a Jayco van for 4 months is that nothing is standard.

It seems they don't even have standard plans for fitting anything

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I ran a small ridge of white silicon from the hinge to the outer edge to force the water over the edge on the side rather than past the hinge and onto the Bed End roof.
Can post a pic when I next get to me van on the 3rd Oct if you wish

okies @Marv_mart needs a pic or two mate - sorry- the brain refuses to visualize what you have done..........

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* for your solution. With it raining so much here at Walpole I sometimes watch the steady stream of water running off the hinge area along the hard lid corner and behind the bed end cover onto the bed end through the privacy screen. It needs some help, a cover for the cover I am afraid.

beecee

Feb 10, 2013
Canberra
I used my Jayco covers for the first time last week (for a week) and I'm happy with the exception that it just seems about one inch too short at the top press-stud over what must be a total length of about 4 metres. Both top press studs simply wont stay attached because its too much of a stretch. If others have had the same experience, what have you done?
We had rain one night and stayed 100% dry.
Thanks

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@beecee see post #479 (second last reply on page 24)

I unstitched the "cord" at the ends, (as I think they cut the cord too short, and stitched them like that)
I gained a small amount, but it is still tight (to me) - and am in the process of working out a better way to hold them to the Van body - than the press studs

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Is that from Australian Caravan Co ?
No, from storage, our driveway is too long to keep Panda at home. Reversing 40m....
Did silicon ridge when I installed BEFs (from 'Holiday Annexes' before Jayco started making them)
Found that the water ran along the hinge and down over the edge and onto the top of the BEs. Formed quite a large 'puddle' that had to be tipped out. The HA BEFs are long enough to be able to tuck them around the corner so should not allow the rain to puddle, ridge is just a precaution. Not sure if it will work, haven't had it out in rain since the mod!

Reactions: bigcol

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
Now very frustrated with the bed end covers. $800 spent and still have wet bedding>:( As I wrote in a previous post the water runs off the hinges, along the hard lid and behind the cover but now have discovered it also pools on top of the the bed end. Just needed to vent, kids in the van so can not verbalise what I am thinking :censored: Did see in the for sale section a van that had a cover over the hinges for this very reason.

Reactions: blacky and bigcol

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Thanks @Marv_mart , looking at all solutions, which is frustrating when I have purchased Jayco bed end covers to fit on a Jayco van.
When I bought my BEF from Holiday Annexes I specifically asked about that top edge.
They told me that the design of the hinge and the curved lid did make 100% waterproofing problematic but they designed their BEF to be long enough to fold/tuck around the top edge. Before I bought mine, I had the same issue you described and decided that when I installed my HA BEF that I would put a ridge of silicon around that top corner. I think it will work but not tested yet.
The BEs are different for each end of the Expanda. I had to make clear that my 14.44-5 had a front BE only so had to order the BEF for the front BE. Is that possibly why some are having trouble getting them to fit and reach the van?
Did you get two fronts rather than a front and rear BEF? Just asking!

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
Gotta wonder about Jayco. due to bad design the bed ends leak, so a couple of small businesses step up and and offer a fix for the problem. After quite some years Jayco recognizes that there is yet another dollar to be made with bed end covers, so in they jump with a cheaper version but in true Jayco fashion the bed end still leaks with their cover fitted:(

I love my van but some of the things Jayco have gone about doing things amuses me no end.

Some members of the forum have said Jayco read this forum and take notice, I don't reckon:lol:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I had to make clear that my 14.44-5 had a front BE only so had to order the BEF for the front BE.
Is that possibly why some are having trouble getting them to fit and reach the van?
Did you get two fronts rather than a front and rear BEF? Just asking!

They are specifically marked F & R
the bag has a little tag with either F or R on it
and the BEF have F or R on them as well.......

trust me, I double checked them when they were short on mine.......
I think there is a fine line between trimming the slides for the sides and it fits lovely,
and trimming the slides for the sides and it makes the BEF short......

its a game of 1%ers
a little off the slides,
make sure that the cord at the top is not short, and the end is pulled back and sewn

I think some have nailed it perfectly first go (I got the usual for me, much adjusting to be done neatly)

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree