My NEw Tow Vehcle

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Thanks, that is the plan, a unit that can tow, then go wherever I want afterwards.

I thought it is best to get these things put on first, rather than after some damage has occurred.

SPARKI

Mar 3, 2012
Kooralbyn Qld
Nice one Mick, you wait till you drive it, that 5cyl diesel pulls like a train!

Hi Big Gee, can you give me some accurate fuel economy figures for you ranger....I am contemplating changing out my FJ cruiser for a new bt or ranger also towing a new 17:56:2...cheers

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Mick i took my BT for a run to Sunny Corner yesterday. 12 hrs behind the wheel about 6 of that on low range crawling around in the mud and hills. When i got home my average fuel consumption was reading 8.8L/100km. I am blown away by this beast!

So far it has exceeded all my expectations, and off road, the low down torque on tap is very nice (not to mention the rear diff lock:smokin:).

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hi Big Gee, can you give me some accurate fuel economy figures for you ranger....I am contemplating changing out my FJ cruiser for a new bt or ranger also towing a new 17:56:2...cheers

Hey SPARKI,

The Ranger averages (before bullbar) about 8.1 - 8.3 on the highway. 9.5 around town if I'm driving & about 11 when the mrs has it (AKA Craig Lowndes).

Today was the first time I have had the caravan on it but we will be doing about a 2000k in mid July & I will do a proper calculation then.

I saw the pic's of your FJ! "Love it", such a shame Toyota are so conservative that they don't put a diesel in a vehicle like that. They would sell hundreds to people that are die hard Toyota nuts but nowadays like the creature comforts.

Big Gee

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Thats one more tick to upgrading to the PX for me. My PK is averaging 14.95/100 but I do spend most of my time towing, best I have had is 10.71 and worst is 19.59 I use an iPhone ap called Road Trip and have logged every drop of fuel since new

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Thats one more tick to upgrading to the PX for me. My PK is averaging 14.95/100 but I do spend most of my time towing, best I have had is 10.71 and worst is 19.59 I use an iPhone ap called Road Trip and have logged every drop of fuel since new

We do a similar thing with "Gas Cubby"

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Hey Mick i took my BT for a run to Sunny Corner yesterday. 12 hrs behind the wheel about 6 of that on low range crawling around in the mud and hills. When i got home my average fuel consumption was reading 8.8L/100km. I am blown away by this beast!

So far it has exceeded all my expectations, and off road, the low down torque on tap is very nice (not to mention the rear diff lock:smokin:).

That's great, I am so looking forward to getting behind the wheel of mine, one more week, I hope.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Next Week is the week. FIt out begins on the BT.

The blokes at OL in Orange are a great bunch, (No affiliation) They are going to redo the wiring on the van as well, so the battery has a proper anderson plug connection for charging the battery while driving.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well Mick i did my first trip away and.................................. its a whole new world of towing ability. I really do miss my Patrol in many ways, but not towing.

ITS WORTH THE WAIT!

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
Should pick her up tomorrow.

The task of wiring the beast ended up being a bigger job than they thought, plus the canopy only arrived this morning.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
The whole job has been a learning experience for the blokes at opposite lock.

Rotronics, red arc controllers, battery isolators, running cables and plugs, installing batteries, tub liners, under body protection, all got a bit too much and under estimated the time for installation.

If all goes well, 9:30 am pickup.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Yeah my auto electrician had a few learning exeriences with wirung too. These damn modern cars and all their electrical gismo's.

Few hrs to go mate!