Mitsubishi Pajero VRX MY14 (NW) on its way

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
How's the pajero going? Been looking around to replace the Kluger and the pajero is an option. Not sold on one yet but prices are good at the moment.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Neil,
Got just under 7000kms on it now.
Pajero is going really well. Plastics seem to mark a little easier than my prado ones did but then it was second hand when bought it and maybe having already been marked were a little hardier by the time i got it?
Averaging 9.5L / 100kms as a daily driver and hit a lot of stop start traffic.
Have only towed a few times but doesn't fell the van at all. Both times were only short trips. Got mid 15L/ 100kms. Note that these trips were very short, under 100kms. Also had some steep hills in them.
let me know if you want some specifics.
Cheers
Ants

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Yeah i know what its like. It was a tough decision for me also. We have always had a prado. Other family members have always had Toyotas also. So to switch brands was a big decision. For me, I needed a diesel. My budget would let me extend to a 2nd hand Prado or a new Pajero. The only other car that was coming into the equation at one point was the Ford Territory. However it was soon ruled out as we do go offroad, even though not that much, the Prado or Pajero just had the edge here. I didn't want a large 4wd i.e. Landcruiser etc, and i didn't want the spare wheel underneath the car. The prado however has long range tanks which is a big plus in my book. The Pajero's springs are apparently a bit soft, I'm yet to really see that in comparison to my old prado and my father in laws 2008 D4d Prado. I have done nothing to the suspension (Yet) i don't hit bump stops that i can tell and the drop is 18mm at the rear ( i didn't measure the front - should have) when hooking the van on. Our van is a single axle so had a heavier ball weight so the springs were a concern upon purchasing but real world, not so much. I will be installing airbags in a couple of weeks time, all booked in. And i would have done this on a Prado as well.
So for me in the end, my decision was really down to the two vehicles. Get a 2nd hand Prado with the long range tank, or get a brand new Pajero with 5 years warranty and no one else's dirty prints on it.

My biggest issue to date has been getting the dual battery setup working. As you may have seen above, i have a ctek d250s, its installed in the car but yet to be hooked up. The auto sparkys do not understand these smart alternators at all and the amount of conflicting information from them is unreal. However, this issue is with most new vehicles anyway.

Good luck in your decision.
Cheers mate
Ants

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi Neil
Can't add much more than what Antman has said, other than just beware on the Pajero of it's reduced ball weight once you go over 2.5 ton. 2500kg/250kg between 2500kg/3000kg ball is 180kg, which can be an issue if you upgrade the van later on. Dealer don't always point that out.

Sorry for the Hijack Antman.

Reactions: Antman

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
All good @Bushman i did mean to add that. mind you, there is certainly a range larger vans that are tandem axle usually giving you a reduced ball weight anyway. :) allbut reducing your options if you go down that path.

Last edited:

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Test drove VRX this morning. Ride is firm but that would most likely loosen up after a bit of driving car only had 7klm on the clock, handling was fine, engine noise was noticeable in cabin. For the 15-20 minutes I could spare on it this morning overall not to bad, might see about having another drive on the week end. Car yards policy is to send a salesman with you on your test drive, what the? Is that a new thing, didn't have a salesman when we test drove the Jeep or Pathfinder. Maybe it's the way I look :spy:

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey mate, sounds good. Out of curiosity, how much noisier is the Pajero to the others? I had ruled Jeep out as I was trying to stick to a 4 cylinder if I could for the cheaper rego in QLD.
It was certainly on my original list however. I really liked the idea of the 8 speed box and its fuel economy is certainly very good.
Cheers
Ants

Neil

Jan 30, 2014
Newcastle
Yeah the JGC was a fair bit quieter and its road manners were a fair bit better but the are two very different cars.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey @Neil, I bought ours from Kelly Mitsubishi in Cardiff in 2010 and they let me take it on my own, in fact they gave me money to put diesel in it....o_O

Reactions: Neil

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
All cars I've test driven in the past sales dude/dudess as come along, except for the Pajero, had it to myself, they just put it in to driveway and said "see you when you get back", jokingly I said "is tomorrow OK":D.

Yep Pajero's are notably noisier than others.

Reactions: Neil

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
well finally have the dual battery setup finished.

The CTEK is installed attached to the 2nd batterys cradle along with the relay. Sorry boys but I didn't do the wiring so im not sure where they pulled the wiring from for the relay.

You can see that the fuel filter has had a bracket fabricated to swivel it around to make more room for the ctek. Also, had a bracket made up for my 40amp circuit breakers. In the pic of the breakers, you can see the fuel line coming up to the filter, it has been lagged but i will keep an eye on it to make sure that the engine does move and hit it in anyway.

All in all happy with it. Charges the 2nd battery better than the alternator charges the main. And the feed down to the caravan battery (via 6B&S cable and anderson plug) is at the same charge rate as the 2nd battery in the car. Happy days!

Attachments

• battery_setup1.jpg
    battery_setup1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 449
  • battery_seutp2.jpg
    battery_seutp2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 319
  • 2_40amp_Circuit_Breakers.jpg
    2_40amp_Circuit_Breakers.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 364
  • fuelfilter_offsetbracket.jpg
    fuelfilter_offsetbracket.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 359

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Air bags went in this morning. So we are nearly all setup! :)
I must say too, that it was certainly noticeably different to drive - a bit firmer which IMO is nicer. Im not sure what pressure the guys who installed it left it at but will check this tonight.

If you are living brisbane southside and need some stuff done to your car,
TORQ 4x4 in Browns Plains are awesome. :)

Cheers
Ants

Reactions: Kenshi123

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Got a new little (inexpensive) toy for the car.
Its an OBD2 bluetooth CAN bus scanner tool see here
and in conjunction with the torque application see here hooked up to my phone i can see heaps of information from the car. Note that the bluetooth tool only connects to android phones and tablets. If you have an iPhone you need to get a WIFI adapter instead.

I haven't seen any discussion on here in relation to these so thought i would share it with you all.

I have attached some screenshots of the gauges that i have setup and there are heaps of them to choose from dependant upon your car. The main reason i decided on getting it was so i can monitor the transmission temperature of the car whilst towing. The transmission temperature gauge however is not a standard gauge, you have to get the correct settings for your car etc.

Let me know your thoughts and if you have any questions. :)
Cheers
Ants

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-29-12-31-39.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-29-12-31-39.png
    443.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Screenshot_2014-05-29-17-29-09.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-29-17-29-09.png
    409.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Screenshot_2014-05-29-17-29-14.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-29-17-29-14.png
    385.5 KB · Views: 257
  • Screenshot_2014-05-29-17-29-23.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-29-17-29-23.png
    329.5 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: relgate and Burnsy

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey @Pace off the top of my head I'm not sure but next time I'm using the app i will have a look. The app is quite good in the way that when you goto add a gauge, it will show the gauges in green where the car provides the information and the other gauges it just leave them black as I'm sure you know. I
Will let you know about the Paj.
Ants