Mitsubishi Pajero VRX MY14 (NW) on its way

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Well the time has finally arrived where i can move into a diesel. After many discussions and to-ing and fro-ing, the decision was made.

Yesterday 22 Nov, we made our way to the dealer who we had already had numerous conversations with and ordered a new NW Pajero VRX. :)

Got a the factory alloy bulbar and tow bar (obviously), front windows tinted and headlight protectors. Car is Graphite in colour.

So delivery should be a week or so :) happy days. Will put some pics up then.

Something I hadn't discussed with the dealer was to see if they could install my brake controller when they do the tow bar? Anyone done this before?

Once we have the car, will put airbags in the rear suspension and a dual battery system in. And clearly some piccys up here. :) Can't wait. At least we don't have to wait as long as we did when we ordered the expanda LOL.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Well done, welcome to PJ owner ship, :rockon: make sure they fit the Spare Wheel lifter with the towbar and my I suggest with the dual battery set up TJM/Piranha battery tray is the way to go as you can get a bigger battery in there over the ARB set up, though I did end with ARB set up mainly because it was easier for me to get there.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Thanks guys.
@17triton thanks for that, i will call the dealer tomorrow. :)
@mrhappi hope so or else there will be one unhappy lady in the house LOL
@Bushman they actually fit the spare wheel lifter as standard now if you get a tow bar. :)
I was starting to look at the battery trays and trying to see which ones fit etc so will check them out. Thanks :)

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
:whoo: Awesome mate and a quick delivery is a sweetener to an exciting time too

I'd maybe get the factory floor mats also as the middle row protects all the carpet and is a very neat fit.

Reactions: Antman

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Welcome to the Paj club. I also have just sold my 3.4 Prado and move onto a Pajero. You will notice a big difference in performance.
My brother in-law was looking for a new Pajero and I made the comment See what deal you can get for two so a few days later we both purchased identical MY13 GLX-R (we also both have the same vans)

Get the dealer to wire up the brake controller unit with the factory plug in harness. The harness cost about $90 and around $150 to install Harness part #MIMZ350265 (mine is a my13) I have quotes from electricians to wire it up the old way of running wires around the place for the same money. the wire to the towbar plug is built into the factory harness already
The spare wheel lift kit should be part of the tow bar package.
You will DEFINATLY need air bags and they are not as easy as the Prado to fit (I did mine yesterday).My brother in-law had the firestone h/duty kit fitted along with controller harness at Eagers on Thursday and is very happy with their prices and job done.

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Well done Antman, great solid performer the Paj. As above go the factory braking harness. Also the TJM battery tray if yu can get one is better than the Piraña one.

Also pending your tow all weight watch the rear bump stops, airbags or not the rear bottoms out. IMO rear springs is the best towing mod (better than airbags)

Good luck.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
@jdove - how long did it take you to fit them? What was involved? we are probably capable to fit them but its still a new car and getting it and pulling it apart just doesn't seem quite right. LOL

@achjimmy - what rear springs do you recommend?

Thanks guys.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
@jdove - how long did it take you to fit them? What was involved? we are probably capable to fit them but its still a new car and getting it and pulling it apart just doesn't seem quite right. LOL

@achjimmy - what rear springs do you recommend?

Thanks guys.

Antman I fitted EFS/Kings progressive rears. But I don't think you can get them in std height. The airbags are in two sizes std and lifted iirc. Fitting airbags to lifted springs was easy didnt even remove springs but I cheated. I fitted them upside down so I didn't need to drill the spring seat. All up about 1.5 hours with routing the airline the longest. Personally If I fitted springs again I wouldn't worry about airbags. Try and get the airbags with protective sleeves, the things squeak and groan otherwise, not loud and only heard with window down, articulating suspension at slow speed but become a pet hate of mine.

With the Paj I had an ARB bar fitted which is obviously heavy over the front. I found the front springs "loosened" up very quickley <1500km and started diving more than I liked. So I gave it a lift and fitted Bilstiens, very happy after that.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Congrats @Antman, you won't know yourself. I got the dealer to fit brake controller (Hayman Reese) at the time, however i replaced with Tekonsha P3 and found they did a pretty ordinary job....hopefully yours will be done better than mine. Enjoy mate, look forward to your pics!

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Thanks guys for your input.

So looks like pickup will be late Thursday this week at this stage. :rockon:
Im on the hunt for insurance now. :indecisiveness:

Has anyone heard of AI Insurance? They are located in Newcastle so thought @Burnsy or any other locals down that way may have heard of them and what they are like. They are underwritten by Hollard Insurance who are global and have received quite a number of awards over the past 6/7years but have been around providing mainly business insurance for quite some time and by the looks of it are now branching out to more consumer business also.

back to it now. Any info guys let me know.
Cheers
Ants

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Can't help with AI insurance but I can tell you RACQ insurance quotes were about $160 different for identical 2013 GLX-R based on location, I'm on Sunshine coast and brother inlaw in Brisbane (Alderly) with the coast being cheaper.

xpanda

Apr 28, 2013
Gippsland
Well the time has finally arrived where i can move into a diesel. After many discussions and to-ing and fro-ing, the decision was made.

Yesterday 22 Nov, we made our way to the dealer who we had already had numerous conversations with and ordered a new NW Pajero VRX. :)

Got a the factory alloy bulbar and tow bar (obviously), front windows tinted and headlight protectors. Car is Graphite in colour.

So delivery should be a week or so :) happy days. Will put some pics up then.

Something I hadn't discussed with the dealer was to see if they could install my brake controller when they do the tow bar? Anyone done this before?

Once we have the car, will put airbags in the rear suspension and a dual battery system in. And clearly some piccys up here. :) Can't wait. At least we don't have to wait as long as we did when we ordered the expanda LOL.

G'day Ants
Congrats, I was pretty certain you were set on a Prado but good decision to go with the Paj.
We had a Redarc brake controller installed left of the steering column and fits into the dash perfectly - no issues, We also had the factory suspension upgraded to EFS heavy duty, now rides very well and no sag in the back end , could get away without weight distribution when towing.
Cheers

Reactions: Antman and Burnsy

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Thanks guys for all the replies. :)

Picked the Pajero up last Thursday. Love it!

The dealer did a very neat job of the brake controller. I also had them wire up for my spot lights, however on the factory bar there is not enough room to mount them (Hella 4000's so big and bulky). So going to need either to get a bracket made up or switch to an LED light bar… not sure yet what to do here.

Am also going to have a two way antenna flap welded onto the bar soon. :)

The other thing i was going to put in was a red arc VSR isolator, however i did not realise that the alternators in these things are variable voltage… anyone come across this and know what is a good product to use in this situation? I have found that the red arc BCDC units will allow you setup an auxiliary setup however we usually setup a completely isolated second battery as a fail over and the BCDC units i believe do not allow you start the car from the second battery. :blue:

Here are some pics of the car and also attached to the van. Have not done anything with suspension yet, but measured and it dropped 25mm which i didn't think was too bad from factory.

Cheers guys
Ants

Attachments

• Pajero.jpg
    Pajero.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 561
  • Pajero-5.jpg
    Pajero-5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 552
  • Pajero-4.jpg
    Pajero-4.jpg
    981.9 KB · Views: 490