Mitsubishi Pajero VRX MY14 (NW) on its way

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Beautiful mate, do they still call that colour ironbark? I have the redarc isolator in ours for 2nd battery but your right it doesn't charge enough.....will probably go with ctek down the track. I think a led light bar would look great too!
Enjoy mate!

Reactions: Antman

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Beautiful mate, do they still call that colour ironbark? I have the redarc isolator in ours for 2nd battery but your right it doesn't charge enough.....will probably go with ctek down the track. I think a led light bar would look great too!
Enjoy mate!

Hey Burnsy,
this one is Graphite. The ironbark and graphite are fairly close in some lights but once you know the ironbark colour you can tell them apart quite easily.

I don't know what a CTEK is? Can you explain it to me? Is it a brand or another style of isloate etc.
Thanks mate
Ants

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Burnsy,
this one is Graphite. The ironbark and graphite are fairly close in some lights but once you know the ironbark colour you can tell them apart quite easily.

I don't know what a CTEK is? Can you explain it to me? Is it a brand or another style of isloate etc.
Thanks mate
Ants
Ahh, ok the graphite is nice. This is the charger I was talking about....see what you think!
Cheers.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CTEK-D25...Accessories&hash=item5d45b404e5#ht_4925wt_958

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
This pic has no relevance to the topic except that its a Pajero. I just wanted to post a great pic of a Pajero and thought this could be an appropriate thread!

Oh Antman, I reckon you have made a good choice!

2Wsc6cW.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Burnsy and Antman

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Enjoy mate!

Hey Burnsy
with your redarc, how much does it charge your 2nd battery.
With the CTEK it seems that you have to put another relay in to allow you to be able to start the car from the 2nd battery?
Cheers mate
Ants

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Burnsy
with your redarc, how much does it charge your 2nd battery.
With the CTEK it seems that you have to put another relay in to allow you to be able to start the car from the 2nd battery?
Cheers mate
Ants
I've been told it will only charge to about 70%! It only runs my waeco for about 36hrs without a charge. You could be right about the relay mate, I wasn't thinking about doing that at the time when I sussed them out. You can use the redarc to start from both batteries but it just doesn't get the 2nd one charged enough, I might even throw the charger on it to top it up a bit!
Cheers.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Thanks @Burnsy
I was doing some more reading last night. Have you tried running around with your low beam on? Apparently this tricks the alternator to charging at 13.5 without dropping? I don't know if this would get you closer to 100% charge or not and as I have nothing setup can't test anything LOL.
Would be interested to know if you had.
Cheers
Ants

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
@Burnsy
Hey mate, do you know if the CTEK D250S will allow you to charge your second battery if you are actually running two batteries connected in parallel? Im trying to find some info on this and can't find anything concrete and just don't know enough about the technical side of this.
Cheers mate
Ants

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
@Burnsy
Hey mate, do you know if the CTEK D250S will allow you to charge your second battery if you are actually running two batteries connected in parallel? Im trying to find some info on this and can't find anything concrete and just don't know enough about the technical side of this.
Cheers mate
Ants
I'm not sure either mate, might be best to ask an auto sparky.
Cheers.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Thanks @Burnsy i got it last night. Can wire it to a "bank" of batteries. :) I had apparently just glossed over that many times when previously reading the manuals. LOL.
Im pretty sure i will get this one. Thanks for sharing it.
Just to update the link you sent through:
The smart alternators need the inclusion of a relay, the same ebay seller includes the relay HERE
Thanks mate.
Ants

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
Hi Ants
I too have a new Pajero and have been following your thread. When you find a ignition source under the bonnet could you please post it's location. I was going to use a feed from the wipers but have found that it is supplied from the accessories side of the switch and would be no good for my Anderson plug shut off solenoid. I haven't had a good look yet as I have been so busy. I'm about to give the Paj it's first run with the van so it will be interesting to see how it go's compared to the old 3.4 Prado .
Cheers

Reactions: cruza driver

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Thanks @Burnsy i got it last night. Can wire it to a "bank" of batteries. :) I had apparently just glossed over that many times when previously reading the manuals. LOL.
Im pretty sure i will get this one. Thanks for sharing it.
Just to update the link you sent through:
The smart alternators need the inclusion of a relay, the same ebay seller includes the relay HERE
Thanks mate.
Ants
I'll look forward to hearing how you did it and seeing some pics too! :)
Cheers.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Ants
I too have a new Pajero and have been following your thread. When you find a ignition source under the bonnet could you please post it's location. I was going to use a feed from the wipers but have found that it is supplied from the accessories side of the switch and would be no good for my Anderson plug shut off solenoid. I haven't had a good look yet as I have been so busy. I'm about to give the Paj it's first run with the van so it will be interesting to see how it go's compared to the old 3.4 Prado .
Cheers
I couldn't find an accessory source under the bonnet with our Paj. Ended up using a VSR for the purposes

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Got the CTEK in the mail today! Looks chunky in the flesh. I read that they were quite large. Have put a pic of it next to my keyboard so you can see the physical size if you haven't seen one before.

Now just the battery and cradle and we will be away! :)

Attachments

• 20140106_092550.jpg
    20140106_092550.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 243

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Wow, they are quite big! How's your fitting going @Antman, keen to see where you've put it. I'll be doing the same very soon, I ran my 2nd battery flat when away and need to give it a good charge with a battery charger :(

Reactions: Antman

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Got the CTEK in the mail today! Looks chunky in the flesh. I read that they were quite large. Have put a pic of it next to my keyboard so you can see the physical size if you haven't seen one before.

Now just the battery and cradle and we will be away! :)

The ctek 250 charger liked to be kept cool as well. Under bonnet temps weren't kind to a couple I read about in the past . I remember one person in the Paj forum put it behind the grille in the airstream.

Reactions: Antman and Burnsy

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
The ctek 250 charger liked to be kept cool as well. Under bonnet temps weren't kind to a couple I read about in the past . I remember one person in the Paj forum put it behind the grille in the airstream.
Yes the ctek starts to cut the voltage at about 55 degrees. The redarc goes to 70ish. It will fit on the side of the battery cradle but I am going to look up the front near the grill. The other spot that it would fit is actually in the cab in the very centre behind the dash. There is quit a good air gap there that it could be mounted but thinking about cabling and running it in and then back out.

I am going to do all the mounting and cabling but get it connected by an auto sparky as I don't fancy touching the wiring for the ignition. Will post pics and info when done but still will be a few weeks away.

Reactions: Burnsy