Sterling Just dropped the deposit on a Sterling Outback

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I know a bit about shower floors and it should sit flat on the plywood floor, not sure if the sterlings are the same as the expandas though but it does sound like there's no support under it.

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Our brake away unit is in the front boot on right (drivers side). Silly question but I take it you have the little black box near the hitch on A frame that the cable plugs into?

Yeah mate, have the breakaway switch on the A frame. Its a legal requirement for a breakaway system on vans of our size. Have looked in all the cupboards and boots trying to find it. I have fitted/wired a few of these so I'm familiar with what they look like and how they work. I'm just hoping they haven't taken a shortcut and wired it up to the house battery, which is a no-no. It does bring the brake lights on when the pin is pulled from the switch, so there is definately power to the breakaway system.

I had wasted enough of my time looking for it yesterday amongst the other things that were going on, so I figured they can tell me where it is! (It should have been shown to us during delivery)

Cheers
Shane

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
I know a bit about shower floors and it should sit flat on the plywood floor, not sure if the sterlings are the same as the expandas though but it does sound like there's no support under it.

Thought you might after your experience with them!!

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Yep the magic black box follow the cable from that to the underside of the van and it should lead you to where you want to be :)!!

Bummer about the shower floor let us know how it progress....

I have followed the wiring through the A frame to under the van, where there is a big bunch of wiring all cable tied up (i'll be fixing some of the connections in there too!) From there it branches off to the lights etc and also into the van. Followed it as far as I could be bothered yesterday and then gave up. The only place I couldnt see into was behind the Setec unit, but it would be rather silly to install it in there!

I will keep you all posted on the shower issue.

Cheers
Shane

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
An image of the quality wiring near the battery. Did I mention that the positive and negative wires for the second battery were just floating around in the second battery box uninsulated, with the fuse in?? A first year auto elec apprentice would get a bollocking for doing wiring like this. Those positive and negative joins are exposed enough and close enough to touch! The service guy has taken some photos of this and it will be reported back to the factory.

Once we get the van back I shall fix it all up and show some better pics of how it all came out of the factory, and then how it should be done!

Dodgy wiring.jpg

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Nice pics of the van Shaz and BT Bazzo. Sorry to hear of you problems with the shower. As for that wiring......that's ordinary.
We have warranty work booked for tomorrow. Biggest things to replace are Front Hard Lid due to bubbling and the Sphere Microwave fogs up the front glass.
Cheers Deano

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Mine's conveniently* located under the seat near the HWS.
(* especially if you've already removed table and cushions or are a contortionist!)

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Wow, no excuse for that, very dangerous practice.....lucky you found it!
A very luck find Millsy :culpability: you would think there is no excuse for that!!

Think what the worse case scenario could be :flame:

No luck about it gents. There is no excuse for wiring such as this and it is very dangerous. Its not rocket surgery to do wiring in a safe manner. I didn't expect it to be up to my own high standards but I didn't expect it to be this poor. The van was ordered with second battery provision (which in hindsight I should have just done myself, its just a battery box screwed to the floor and a couple of dodgy leads!) so whoever did the wiring would have been aware that I would be in there fitting a second battery.

Worst case scenario would have been me getting my hands on the bloke who did it at the moment I found it >:( !!!

Nice pics of the van Shaz and BT Bazzo. Sorry to hear of you problems with the shower. As for that wiring......that's ordinary.
We have warranty work booked for tomorrow. Biggest things to replace are Front Hard Lid due to bubbling and the Sphere Microwave fogs up the front glass.
Cheers Deano

Cheers Deano, I hope all your warranty issues get sorted out swiftly!

Mine's conveniently* located under the seat near the HWS.
(* especially if you've already removed table and cushions or are a contortionist!)

I have been informed of where the breakaway unit is mounted..........behind the cutlery drawer!!!! Gee, silly me, why didn't I think to look there?? (note; sarcasm!)

Jayco have been in touch, all the small issues have apparently been sorted and the first service has been done. They don't have time to do the fibreglass repair or deal with the cut'n'polish, they have to book external people for that with at least two weeks lead time, so that will still have to be done at Bendigo.

Regarding the shower, the factory have advised them to try and get some sealant in underneath the shower floor, via the shower drain and by drilling a couple of holes in the floor from underneath, and then weighing it down while it cures. If this works I suppose it is a satisfactory result considering our time constraints. They are going to attempt this over the next couple of days so we should hopefully have some form of result by Monday. If it doesn't work, then the issue has been logged in the system and we will have to either deal with it somewhere along the journey, or if it is not going to cause any further damage it may just have to be repaired when we get back.

To his credit, the service guy we have been dealing with at Bayswater has been friendly and prepared to listen to and address our complaints.

Cheers

Shane

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I have been informed of where the breakaway unit is mounted..........behind the cutlery drawer!!!! Gee, silly me, why didn't I think to look there?? (note; sarcasm!)
Ah...the old "behind the cutlery draw trick" I just assumed you'd already looked there.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Sorry but just LOL behind the cutlery draw??? :becky:

Its like they plan out the weird and wonderfulll places to things and as each van rolls through they get busy on the strange places to hide things!!

Overall not the best situation but it sounds like they are attempting to sort it all out so fingers crossed you get a satisfactory result.

Thinking of you at this time and again hope it all goes to plan!!!

I am off to look in the disco and find the things they have hidden :)...

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Ah...the old "behind the cutlery draw trick" I just assumed you'd already looked there.

LOL I had actually pulled the bottom drawer out, but didn't think to pull the top one out!

Sorry but just LOL behind the cutlery draw??? :becky:

Its like they plan out the weird and wonderfulll places to things and as each van rolls through they get busy on the strange places to hide things!!

Overall not the best situation but it sounds like they are attempting to sort it all out so fingers crossed you get a satisfactory result.

Thinking of you at this time and again hope it all goes to plan!!!

I am off to look in the disco and find the things they have hidden :)...

Cheers expanda. Picking up the van today so we shall see how it goes, they believe they have achieved a satisfactory result.
We shall wait and see!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
LOL I had actually pulled the bottom drawer out, but didn't think to pull the top one out!

Cheers expanda. Picking up the van today so we shall see how it goes, they believe they have achieved a satisfactory result.
We shall wait and see!

Ok sounds good for easter at least!

Let us know if their satisfactory meets your satisfactory :)!!!

Fingers crossed for you...

Hope all your problems with the new van are sorted out soon Millsy.
A Jayco dealer once said to us that it easier for the company to fix production issues through Warranty as they need to fast track them off the assembly line.
When we bought our last Sterling in 09, the maintenance man told up to be careful with it as it is Jayco......and he worked for them. Luckily we have had few problems related to warranty.
It seems that Jayco are pushing them through the assembly quickly.
Saying that other caravan brands have their issues as well. Maybe it is all to do with the ever increasing demand for caravans today.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hey Millsy,
When we first got our van the breakaway box didn't even work when I pressed the test button, took it into Jayco Mackay and they had no idea what i was talking about. I then found that there was a fuse inside where the battery is, it was blown. I would like to know how they tested these? The Jayco wiring (not unlike other van manufacturers) is appalling to be kind, keep looking everywhere to be sure, also check your HW service wiring too, I found some dodgy stuff there with exposed copper :doh: ... Good Luck!!

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Well, the shower base repair has not worked. Felt fine on pickup and later that day, then upon checking it yesterday morning it has lifted again. :( I guess we are going to have to sort it out when we get back. I have been assured that it is still ok to use, we just don't have the time to get it fixed. At least they have resealed the edges where the base meets the walls. Everything else they have done appears to be ok.

On another note I got around to installing the reverse camera, and ran the 6 B&S twin from the battery area down to the drawbar and an anderson plug. Whilst rolling around the underneath of the van, I just happened to notice the LHS handbrake cable mounted over the top of a gas line! Nah, a steel cable would never rub through a copper gas line!!! Prestige can fix that when they have the van to address some fibreglass issues in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, some pics.........
IMAG0397.jpg
IMAG0399.jpg
IMAG0403.jpg
IMAG0404.jpg
IMAG0407.jpg