Sterling Just dropped the deposit on a Sterling Outback

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Guys

New here, but have been lurking around a bit, the forum has been handy in helping us make the decision to buy a Jayco.

My partner and I are currently in the planning stages of a year long trip around this great country of ours, hopefully departing from Melbourne around April next year. In order to do this, we needed a home on wheels, and finally decided on a Jayco. Yesterday we bit the bullet and put a deposit down on a Sterling Outback 21.65.3. The guys at Bayswater Jayco were helpful, friendly, and had answers for all my questions. Hopefully delivery date will be sometime in March next year.

On top of the standard unit, we optioned for -

Extended drawbar
Simplicity suspension
2 x 150w solar panels
2nd battery provision
Ibis AC
Extra external lights
Full canvas walls
Full shadecloth walls

On the 2013 models, leather, external gas bayonet and the slideout bed are standard, these are options that we would have chosen anyway. As an auto elec, there shall be some tinkering with the battery/charging setup, lights and extra 12v sockets. All in all we are very happy with our choice and very excited about our upcoming trip. As a bit of icing on the cake, hopefully this weekend we pickup the chosen tug, a new BT50 GT. I'll have plenty of time to kit it out before we take off :)

Looking forward to hearing from other Sterling and various Jayco owners on any tips/tricks/mods and advice when it comes to owning a Jayco.

Cheers
Shane

Glenn

Sep 6, 2012
Bittern, VIC
G'Day Millsy and welcome to the forum, we loved the layouts of the Sterling also but went for the expanda instead as i can just get this one in the shed.

Great list of options as well ! We have the Ibis AC and it works well !

Cheers Glenn

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Millsy. Welcome. Sounds like a great combination for your big trip. Today was a stinker in Melbourne and felt like spending the day in the Expanda with the Ibis running. Look forward to your contributions.

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Thanks for the welcome guys. Certainly was warm in Melb today! I work in a factory with no aircon and it was punishing!

Sounds like we have done the right thing with the Ibis AC upgrade. Shall get a thread started on the BT50 once it is delivered, and post up details of our trip plans as we work them out.

Cheers

SHane

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Sounds like a great tow and van setup you will have that should do you proud!!!

The ibis is a great air con its just a pitty they can't fit them in pop tops :)....

It must have been horrible in the factory do you have a stop work policy at all if it gets to a certain temp?

Going to be 41 today in Sydney how fun :).....

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Shane, how exciting, a new van and tug....congrats mate. Nice options, I also have ibis and got 2nd batt provision as I kept battery from our last van, however Jayco price is pretty good for 100amp gel. What do you plan to do with battery options?

Cheers.

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Sounds like a great tow and van setup you will have that should do you proud!!!

The ibis is a great air con its just a pitty they can't fit them in pop tops :)....

It must have been horrible in the factory do you have a stop work policy at all if it gets to a certain temp?

Going to be 41 today in Sydney how fun :).....

Thx mate. No stop work policy unfortunately, the price paid for working in the automotive industry and for a small business. None off this 'knock off if its over 35' that most other tradies get. Yesterday was a really punishing day........started at 6.45, finished at 5.30, plus a 45 min drive each way! Never mind, I have given notice and just have to hang tough until the end of Feb.
Heard it was going to be a stinker in Sydney today, guess you're getting the weather we just had!

Hi Shane, how exciting, a new van and tug....congrats mate. Nice options, I also have ibis and got 2nd batt provision as I kept battery from our last van, however Jayco price is pretty good for 100amp gel. What do you plan to do with battery options?

Cheers.

Cheers mate. I will be pulling the Jayco battery out and replacing with 2 120aH AGM batteries from work. Considered asking them to leave the battery out all together, but thought if I did that I may lose 12-13kgs out of the rated payload. The Jayco supplied one can go into the back of the ute for its dual battery system. Also considering whether to fit a Ctek or Redarc DC-DC charger, 6 B&S twin and Anderson plug, but will hold off until I can do some real world current draw tests to work out if we actually need it with the 300 watts of solar. Another thing I shall be testing is the Setec units ability to provide a decent charge to the batteries. Some reading has indicated that it may not be up to scratch, and if thats the case I shall fit a decent 240-12 charger.

Other things I have planned are some under body protection for the exposed wiring/plumbing, extra 12v sockets for phone/camera charging, 1000w pure sine invertor, and replacing the horrible 6 globe halogen light above the lounge/table with an LED version. That light assembly must draw more current than all the other LEDs in the van put together! Also plan to modify the table for the club lounge and get the local trimmer to whip us up another cushion so we can turn it into a bed when we have friends come and stay with us.

As a side note, we pick up the new tug in the morning, many plans for it but thats another thread in itself!

Cheers
Shane

Reactions: Burnsy

Sterlo1

Aug 27, 2012
Narellan Vale, NSW
Good one Millsy. You will not be dissapointed. We have a 2011 21.65.3 OB and I have made some small changes and additions as well. We are very happy with it and the configuration. The changes Jayco have made appear to be very good and usefull.
One thing you should check on is where is the coupling ? On ours the coupling was on the bottom of the A frame and with the Ez-Lift or Hayman Reese WDH below it was far too low for me to reverse over the gutter. I overcame this by having a plate welded on top of the frame and mounted the coupling there. If it suits, perhaps you could ask Jayco for this mod to be done in manufacture.
Cheers Paul.

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Guys

Thanks for the warm welcome and positive comments :)

Heres a link to the thread I have posted in Tow Rigs;

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/2162-Our-new-BT50-GT

One thing you should check on is where is the coupling ? On ours the coupling was on the bottom of the A frame and with the Ez-Lift or Hayman Reese WDH below it was far too low for me to reverse over the gutter. I overcame this by having a plate welded on top of the frame and mounted the coupling there. If it suits, perhaps you could ask Jayco for this mod to be done in manufacture.
Cheers Paul.

Thanks for the heads up Paul, I shall look into that with Jayco.

Cheers
Shane

Millsy

Nov 29, 2012
Melbourne
Popped out to Jayco yesterday, had a few questions about the van and we were in the area for other reasons. Noted a few changes we weren't aware of for the 2013 model (they had a standard 2013 Sterling on display) Silly me didn't even think to take pics of the different bits we noticed!

- There is a new style door.
- The horrible halogen light over the dining table has been replaced with an LED version. (Yay!)
- The Setec unit is different. Now a Setec Drifter (unsure of the differences)
- The bathroom bench/sink is now one moulded piece
- The rear of the Sterling they had on display was one moulded piece, no more bolt on grey panels. They were unsure if the Outback model will be the same.
- 'Wireless' switching for the interior LEDs
- Handles for cupboards slightly different

As a side note the one they had on display had the same colour leather and laminex as we chose. Very happy with our choice!

Here is a teaser pic of the 2012 display model we based our purchase upon -

Van Teaser.jpg

We were also told that our van is due to roll off the production line Feb 19, a little bit earlier than we had thought. Dealer said 1-2 weeks for delivery after it comes off the line. Will tie in well as I finish work on the 1st of March!

Cheers
Shane

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Popped out to Jayco yesterday, had a few questions about the van and we were in the area for other reasons. Noted a few changes we weren't aware of for the 2013 model (they had a standard 2013 Sterling on display) Silly me didn't even think to take pics of the different bits we noticed!

- There is a new style door.
- The horrible halogen light over the dining table has been replaced with an LED version. (Yay!)
- The Setec unit is different. Now a Setec Drifter (unsure of the differences)
- The bathroom bench/sink is now one moulded piece
- The rear of the Sterling they had on display was one moulded piece, no more bolt on grey panels. They were unsure if the Outback model will be the same.
- 'Wireless' switching for the interior LEDs
- Handles for cupboards slightly different

As a side note the one they had on display had the same colour leather and laminex as we chose. Very happy with our choice!

Here is a teaser pic of the 2012 display model we based our purchase upon -

We were also told that our van is due to roll off the production line Feb 19, a little bit earlier than we had thought. Dealer said 1-2 weeks for delivery after it comes off the line. Will tie in well as I finish work on the 1st of March!

Cheers
Shane

Nice one Shane.
That is the first Jayco I have seen with black on the bottom. Looks good.