14' Series Heating van when free camping

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi everyone

Does anyone know of a good combination heater and Hot Water system. Either gas or diesel and not hideously expensive?

Truma do a combi HWS and heater I posted it jn the other thread. And I know on Kimberly campers you can get a combined deisel unit as well but I can't recall who made it.

As for stupid money I think they all are.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Personally for the amount of deisel the heaters would use. I would run an alpine additive and a fungal protection in each tank.

Reactions: jvp and Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think that the size of the fuel lines on these units would make them very susceptible to freezing when not in operation, I have found diesel bowsers to have frozen at the nozzle on bloody cold nights, I think the problems would be from fuel freezing and not so much waxing but the alpine additive would have to be a must for the very cold climes.
If you insulate the lines you have to make sure, as with water lines, that the insulation cannot retain moisture otherwise it will still freeze.

Reactions: mfexpanda

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I have always wanted to try something similar to this:
image.jpg

Using the gas hot water to heat the van!

Reactions: Crusty181

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I will ask my cousin in Scotland, he has done something similar to your suggestion @bigman0510 in his house

I know there is an email around here somewhere where he details what he did..

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yup, that's their diagram

It's a webasto isn't it? Well durability won't be an issue then will it?

Thinking about this and the huge mass that the suburban HWS is. I'd imagine if you removed the foam insulation and made ducting that went over the tank with a fan you could make an effective heater from the existing Suburban HWS. It wouldn't have the BTUs of diesel or gas but would work well for a lot of Aussies senarios?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now that @bigman0510 would be the Ducks whatsit's, but WOW !!!!!! what a price tag and thats for both of them, you would want to be travelling in the cold a lot to really warrant that much dough I would think.

Reactions: bigcol and Tricky

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That is Sooooooo tempting, won't show Mrs D though she will most certainly won't one before we go to St George.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I would use this option if it was cheaper, for both the camper trailer and the Basestation. But at that price I could get 2!!
https://www.eco-camper.com/e-shop/heaters/2KW-Portable-Air-Heater-C4EPAH-detail
I wonder if I could make a normal one into a portable one?

Now that @bigman0510 would be the Ducks whatsit's, but WOW !!!!!! what a price tag and thats for both of them, you would want to be travelling in the cold a lot to really warrant that much dough I would think.

ouch at that price, I would do a @Crusty181 and by the full kit..........

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm saved :clap2: :clap2: :bounce:, Mrs D had a look was impressed then saw the price tag and said her hot water bottle still works, gotta luv her...might buy an extra bottle of Bundy to keep the chill away.:biggrin-26: :cheer2:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I'm saved :clap2: :clap2: :bounce:, Mrs D had a look was impressed then saw the price tag and said her hot water bottle still works, gotta luv her...might buy an extra bottle of Bundy to keep the chill away.:biggrin-26: :cheer2:
Its an easy decision when your looking at it in the cosy warmth of the lounge room .... show her again when your sitting freezing to death in a river side free camp in St George. You can sit on the van couch with a fishing rod, and hang a party pie in front of the heater duct.