14' Series Heating van when free camping

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Good read here.

http://www.thervplumber.com/diesel-heater-vs-gas-heater

Most tend to recommend what they own, but it depends on your van, fuel type and camping style imo. With the avaiabilty of the cheaper diesel heaters from China, the diesel option is becoming a lot more popular.

I must admit, the Diesel heaters do sound a hell of a lot better than their price tag suggests............

very good reading that

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
I just loved the simplicity of the D2.. Have set mine up in the back corner of the 20.63.1 to blow either down thru the van or into the ensuite as the outlet rotates and it's drawing air from the cupboard where we store our clothes so its now well ventilated.
DSC_0009.jpg

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Nothing wrong with the 25 buck target heater, although we did splash out and spent 40 on a small oil heater from coles. ☺:biggrin-new: ☺☺
If you are going to have an oil heater are you not still reliant on 240V?
At least the diesel heater only uses 12V. We are on a powered site but the diesel heater has become our first choice for all night warmth and far quieter as well (espcially for the grump nearby in a tent). When up to desired temp fan backs off to idle and just about stops.
Not bragging or skiting, just the way it is.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Nothing wrong with the 25 buck target heater, although we did splash out and spent 40 on a small oil heater from coles. ☺:biggrin-new: ☺☺
Nothing wrong at all will be getting one ourselves but maybe not going away much in winter anymore im never home to do stuff in good weather I have a long list eva growing

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep as @PhilD said the electrics aren't much good off the grid. We also are using our heater 1st in place of the reverse cycle when on power. Just quieter, warmer etc.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey @Crusty181 just wondering where you mounted your heater. I also have 20.63 and am looking to install one shortly but not sure where to mount it
Howdy @Andrewm02, shhhhhhhhhhhhh.;) I haven't mentioned here on the forum Ive put a stupendous logo_eberspaecher.png diesel heater in our van. Ive kept that to myself :bounce:

Although our 20.63 is 2014, its the 2013 layout i.e. no slide out like yours I suspect. I ditched it because of the weight, so the heater locale wasn't affected by the slideout.
airtonic_units_170_ebuk.jpg :cheer2:

The heater is installed under the couch wing next to the fridge, with the ducts under that seat one facing forward and one towards the back, and ran the cabling up inside the fridge cavity, mounting the controller next to the fridge. They recommend the controller 1500mm off the floor and away from heat, cold or drafts
2015-05-30 13.04.32.jpg 2015-05-30 13.03.07.jpg 2015-05-30 13.03.18.jpg 2015-05-30 13.02.44-2.jpg

Keep it to yourself

(PS On a serious note its a great spot and works really well. The ducting suits perfectly. The way the ducting routes, slightly more air comes out of the fridge side which is better. I thought mounting the other duct in the corner and not on the end of the couch may be a boo boo, but its turned out well where it is. I can send you some more pics and measurements etc if you need it)

Last edited:

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I just loved the simplicity of the D2.. Have set mine up in the back corner of the 20.63.1 to blow either down thru the van or into the ensuite as the outlet rotates and it's drawing air from the cupboard where we store our clothes so its now well ventilated. View attachment 32920
Does look good. What brand is yours? I gather you can remove the fuel tank as you please?

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
Does look good. What brand is yours? I gather you can remove the fuel tank as you please?
Its the Eberspacher .. same as @Crusty181 .. just don't tell him I got mine for 10 slabs cheaper than his..;) And yes I used a 10ltr outboard tank with the quick connect fitting.. You lose about 1drop when the hose comes off the tank and has a closable breather in the cap/gauge.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
G'day @Dajotrad I installed a Planner brand diesel heater in our 17.58-3OB. I went for the 2kw version with tank, pipes and outlets. We have used it a fair bit so far on our holiday and I have to say along with others, best bit of coin I have spent. Wife and 2 daughters, you know happy wife, happy life...
Have used it every night and morning for probs 2+weeks and only used about 2-3 litres of diesel.
Biggest thing for me was cutting a hole in the floor of our brand new van. Bit of mucking around. Maybe 6 hours to install, with checking and double checking before cutting and making sure stuff will fit. Either gas or diesel, I think you will be happy, just personal choice. I went diesel, mainly for cost wise, but had spoken to some other people as well. For me, free camping running the fridge, the hot water and the cooking, then adding a heater to the equation just didn't work. Plus we had an experience of running out of gas in the middle of the night and the food in the freezer defrosting.