14' Series Heating van when free camping

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Hi guys I keep hearing negative posts on other van sites that the diesel heaters don't work at sub +3 degree temps. I find this hard to believe but please give me your opinions. Thanks.
I b****y hope not as 1 degC here tonight apparently.

Last edited:

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Hi guys I keep hearing negative posts on other van sites that the diesel heaters don't work at sub +3 degree temps. I find this hard to believe but please give me your opinions. Thanks.
G'day @Johnno48 we used ours recently where temps were low single figures and had no issues at all.
Cheers
greynt

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
In regards to people saying that the fuel pump 'ticks' is that only an issue if you have the fuel pump mounted inside the van?

Was going to mount the unit under the lounge. Is it necessary to have a duct to suck the air in? Or would that area be too airtight?

I just posted this question in another heater thread, just want to broaden the audience.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
In regards to people saying that the fuel pump 'ticks' is that only an issue if you have the fuel pump mounted inside the van?

Was going to mount the unit under the lounge. Is it necessary to have a duct to suck the air in? Or would that area be too airtight?

I just posted this question in another heater thread, just want to broaden the audience.
I put ours under the seat and don't have an intake duct but I put a grill for the air to get in to where the heater is. It's a lot quieter and also keeps the area cooler as the outlet ducting made the area quite warm, wit quite a few electrical thing in there.

With regards to the ticking pump I spent a lot of time silencing it with no luck (I hate ticking clocks when sleeping) but got it very quiet. I tried wrapping in foam, also wrapped it some sound proof sheet but they just made it louder, also hard mounted as the instructions say but not that good. In the end I put it up inside the A frame packed with foam and covered the area with sound proof sticky foam from Clark Rubber. It's very good you have to listen pretty hard now to hear it. I was actually more worried about someone camping next to me in a tent with the thing ticking all night, I think it would annoy me.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigSkiddy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think, know, I'm going to wish I fitted a furnace like @Crusty181, next week at Nindigully is going to bea tad cool Ithink, I wonderif the Honda will run a small heater ?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
This will be you @Drover
sb10069753c-001-naked-man-frozen-in-ice-gettyimages-1.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Rubbish @Johnno48 poo poo those other forums .... watched it work in sub 3+ ... and watched from the relative warmth it provided, which made it easier to watch. Thats the exact reason we got the diesel heater. Our Ibis stopped blowing warm air once the outside temp got down to around the 3 or 4 deg. Apparently all reverse cycle aircons have a temp they stop working, some better than others

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnno48

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
If not using "Alpine mix" diesel it might cause problems.
Your not mixing reports with reverse cycle A/C units? They definitely don't work sub +3 deg .
I suppose you could carry a 500ml bottle of kero, and if it gets really cold drop a bit in the tank. The service recommendation is to run a kero rich mix through the heater from time to time anyway, so carrying the kero would be handy anyway

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I put ours under the seat and don't have an intake duct but I put a grill for the air to get in to where the heater is. It's a lot quieter and also keeps the area cooler as the outlet ducting made the area quite warm, wit quite a few electrical thing in there.

With regards to the ticking pump I spent a lot of time silencing it with no luck (I hate ticking clocks when sleeping) but got it very quiet. I tried wrapping in foam, also wrapped it some sound proof sheet but they just made it louder, also hard mounted as the instructions say but not that good. In the end I put it up inside the A frame packed with foam and covered the area with sound proof sticky foam from Clark Rubber. It's very good you have to listen pretty hard now to hear it. I was actually more worried about someone camping next to me in a tent with the thing ticking all night, I think it would annoy me.
If the neighbours in the tent timed their chattering teeth with the pump tick, it should be all good

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I think, know, I'm going to wish I fitted a furnace like @Crusty181, next week at Nindigully is going to bea tad cool Ithink, I wonderif the Honda will run a small heater ?
I used a 1500w blow heater to run in my 2kW Kipor. Pushed it nicely to its capacity. Put the heater in the van on smart throttle and let it run through a couple of tanks to give it a good hearty fluctuating run in. I still use the blow heater every so often to give the generator a workout, if it hasn't seen camping action for a while. So you'll have no problems with your Honda.

Ive bought a second fuel cap that I pulled the air tap out of, which leaves a perfect little hole. Run a fuel hose from a 20 lt. jerry through the hole in the cap into the generator tank. The genny tank vacuum draws the fuel from the 20 ltr jerry, and I can run the genny continuously for 24 litres .... or more if I have a bigger jerry. Cost me $10 for the cap from the genny shop.

You can buy those replacement fuel caps on eBay, but its cheaper to pull the air tap off a second hand spare part plastic one.
m3ToLcGy2kAIegOzN8rZvvA.jpg 20150710_101926.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey @Crusty181, turn it on now and leave the door open, I think we may need it, they are saying possible snow for Stanthorpe and Toowoomba, aarrgghh.

I like that fuel cap idea, brilliant.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I missed your post @BigSkiddy , using my phone but probably close to the truth except I will certainly have more clobber on, though the photo is a good likeness of me, same body but I have a Mo.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey @Crusty181, turn it on now and leave the door open, I think we may need it, they are saying possible snow for Stanthorpe and Toowoomba, aarrgghh.

I like that fuel cap idea, brilliant.
Damn. Snow was the only thing we had over QLD

We would only get around 5 odd hours from the Kipor running air-con, so needed to be able to provide more fuel than the Kipors 3.7 lt. tank particularly if we needed the air-con overnight.

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and Drover

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I suppose you could carry a 500ml bottle of kero, and if it gets really cold drop a bit in the tank. The service recommendation is to run a kero rich mix through the heater from time to time anyway, so carrying the kero would be handy anyway

do you carry 5l of Orange Juice as well to mix- for those "un wanted" guests????

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Hi everyone

Does anyone know of a good combination heater and Hot Water system. Either gas or diesel and not hideously expensive?